Options

Coupler / ball question

AspenAspen Member Posts: 45

Hello again and thanks in advance for everybody's help and answers... I'm still new and learning so much with my new T@G everyday! So I finally got around to practicing towing and backing up "Aspen" this past weekend and although I have never towed anything more than a small empty boat trailer, I was surprised to hear so much rattling and feel so much play in the ball/coupler connection. .... even when I hit small bumps going only 15 mph. I even noticed, when I unhitched the trailer, scratches and wear on the ball which made me concerned there was so much friction. The coupler is properly engaged and locked and the roads were generally smooth. Is this normal and I'm just not used to the sounds and motions with towing, or should I be concerned? Also, as a side note, I had removed the filled propane tank and only have about 100 lbs total stocked in the trailer/galley. ... could the lower tongue weight be causing this? I'm tempted to replace the weight and see if it makes a difference. Once again, thanks for helping a newbie!

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Do you have the right sized ball? Should be 2" Noise could also be from where the hitch and coupler join on the vehicle.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

Yes, the ball is 2" and it seems as if that's where the noise is originating from. ... surprised by the amount of motion and play at that junction, though.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

@Aspen, with your T@G unhitched, grab the hitch and ball and see if it wiggles in the receiver on your tow vehicle. If it does wiggle, this could be the source of the noise. Search for a hitch tightener on Amazon . It looks like a U-bolt with threads for bolts. When positioned correctly, it eliminates all of the slop in the receiver/hitch. I have one on my Tacoma as it was definitely very loose and noisey.

• Options
    MahojinMahojin Member Posts: 7

Believe it or not, a couple of seasons ago, I just wrapped a couple of tight layers of duck-tape snugging up what little play I had. Still there, still working. Quite.

Jake & Mitsue. T@G Max "Red-Teddy" MN, Honda Pilot Touring

• Options

@Verna and @Mahojin , thank you! Good to know, as I did notice there is some play in the receiver on the tow vehicle... I will definitely try the tightener!

• Options

So I installed a u-bolt to brace the hitch mount to the receiver and that helped with the play at the TV. What I can't figure out is why there is movement between the 2" ball (as stated on the ball) and 2" coupler (latch locked down in position)? If I pull up and push down, I get some play there. Is the ball and coupler supposed to fit tightly, or is the vertical movement normal? Thanks again in advance, as this is all still new to me.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

You must have some play. Now, the tongue weight should at least 10% of trailer weight. So with a T@G, at least a hundread lbs. And up to 160. So I dought that it should be easy to play with it.

But a 2" ball is not a pressision instrument, so it could be a little on the small side of the specter.

• Options

I'll double check the tongue weight and maybe even switch out the ball for a new one just in case it was manufactured on the smaller end of sizing. Thanks, @LuckyJ