Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I am assuming (always a dangerous proposition) that you mean where to put one? As a practical matter, options are limited. Most folks have tried putting it on the tongue, in the front toolbox or hauling one around in the tow vehicle. Having tried all of the common spots, I settled on the tongue location simply because I can use it right where it is without moving it. Each location comes with its own set of drawbacks and it remains for the user to determine the most appropriate. I had considered putting mine on the back but that would involve fabricating some sort of swing-out carrier (think, swing out tire carrier) but I sold my welding and fabricating stuff so I would need to farm out some of that.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

At home unless boondocking. =)

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Farming out work you used to do is always difficult!

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

This past weekend was my first trip with a generator. We picked up the Westinghouse 2200 inverter generator. Half the price of the Honda and worked great. Because I'm vertically challenged, it fit nicely in the tow vehicle behind my seat. We also packed a 2.5 gallon gas can that we filled close to our destination. I had NO odor within the TV. And I was amazingly grateful for the AC on hot humid nights!!!!

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    edited May 2018

When I hauled my gennie (Generac 2200 inverter) around in my Jeep I had the same experience. No odor. Just make sure and leave expansion room in the tank. I wouldn't be comfortable hauling my "Leak-a-week" brand fuel can (plastic OR steel) around inside my car/jeep/suv, etc. I don't trust'em as far as I can throw them, and I run with scissors daily. Might just be me though....

Food for thought...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
  • Options

I use “ Tru-Fuel ”. Not a lot of ethanol in the mix so not a lot of fumes. https://trufuel50.com
    Very expensive product alert!!! B)

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Tom,
    What's the octane rating? I use 87 octane pump gas thar doesn't have ethanol in it. It's available at some gas stations. High octane (over 91) can be really hard on air-cooled engines. Read your generator owners manual. I also use stabil.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited June 2018

Most reports show the octane is 93+. I’ll definitely look into the Honda manufacturerer data. Don’t want to burn out the Honda S2000 prematurely because of fumes. The Honda rating is a minimum 91 Octane.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    sheaoliversheaoliver Member Posts: 7

@SueBHunny said:
    This past weekend was my first trip with a generator. We picked up the Westinghouse 2200 inverter generator. Half the price of the Honda and worked great. Because I'm vertically challenged, it fit nicely in the tow vehicle behind my seat. We also packed a 2.5 gallon gas can that we filled close to our destination. I had NO odor within the TV. And I was amazingly grateful for the AC on hot humid nights!!!!

I also recently purchased the same Westinghouse model. Works awesome!!! I also keep the generator in my Jeep and have no issues with any odors.

Did you use the "No-Spill" to fill the generator?

I carry a five gallon tank with one of the first "new" spouts. I've spilt more fuel this year with that than I did in the last thirty with the old spouts!

I happened to have an older Harbor Freight Multi-Use Pump that I started using, but still made an miniature environmental disaster each time that I used it. I just ordered a GasTapper (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TA5ECJQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as a few of the reviewers claimed that "they didn't spill a drop." Would love to hear if those No-Spill spouts can pour slow enough for the smaller opening of the generator.

Shea Oliver

Digital Marketing Guru, Entrepreneur, & Fanatic Hiker
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon + 2018 T@G XL Outback/Boondock

• Options

I carry a five gallon tank with one of the first "new" spouts. I've spilt more fuel this year with that than I did in the last thirty with the old spouts!

Glad to hear that I am not the only one who has experienced issues with the "no-spill" cans. For a long time I thought they were designed by Exxon, but ultimately concluded that it was a cabal of companies heavily leveraged in the dry absorbant/burn-cream industry. One has to wonder how a product so amazingly poorly designed gets through product testing.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

And the fact they even with all the spils we make with them, that would be carb compliant.

• Options

The "no spill" can was awesome for filling the generator. It only pours when you press the button, and you control the speed of the pour with your button press. I'll never buy anything different. My husband finally gave up on the "carb compliant" nozzle and bought a kit to convert our gas can for the lawnmower to an old fashioned pour with a pop out vent.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    WilliWilli Member Posts: 22

I’ve been a mechanic all my life and I am amazed with how poorly these no spill filler necks work. Always end up spilling fuel. Good old fashioned cork seals those high tech pos filler neck now. BTW Octane rating is simply a way of expressing the temp. that combustion occurs. Larger number=higher temp before ignition takes place. The biggest enemy of small
    Power Equipment is ethanol.

Fort Myers FL.
    2015 T@G Max