Options

Rear View Camera

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
edited May 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades

Hi all,
I was prowling about today for a few things (picked up 2 more plastic wheel chocks and some bedliner spray) and stumbled upon a good sale on a rearview camera. It's the wireless type that doesn't need a connection between the camera and monitor. As it's been on my "Nice to have" list for awhile, I grabbed one. I spent the afternoon getting it installed and working. It was not too much of a job and worked right out of the box. Both nice features. Here are a couple of photos:
I chose to mount the camera up high on the roof-rack so it would be out of the road chum. It gives a 110 degree field of view and also has infrared for night-time use, although I have backup lights on the trailer.

Here's a close-up of the camera. There are at least a couple of wiring options for the camera. Suggested is to wire it to the backup light circuit but I chose to wire it to the running lights so I could have it on while going forward. It'll be nice to see what's back there while going down the road.

I mounted my monitor (4.3 inch) up as high and out of the way as I could. I wired the power for the monitor to my switch panel on the A-pillar which required cutting off the lighter socket plug. It comes on with ignition.
As you can see, I've got the hatch open and awning deployed, but you get the idea..

It has a power switch on the monitor so I can turn it off should I so desire, but has a flashing blue led when it "standby" mode. What's with electronics manufacturers putting lights on things to tell you when they are off? Shouldn't I be able to tell it's off by looking at it and seeing that it's....well....off? Nevertheless, I am looking forward to getting out for a day sojourn to try it out. I'm planning to be gone next week for 3 days fishing and will give it a good run then too.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments