Options

type of pin used on hitch

papapapa Member Posts: 15

what is best pin to use on trailer hitch. im concerned about safety and dont want pin to break or fall off.
any suggestions on best make and model pin

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Disclaimer: This is my opinion.....

I have never really given it much thought. I've always just used the standard hardware. After years of buying different drop/raise receiver inserts, I have now a bagful of the stock pins and clips. I've pulled many different kinds of trailers from small utility to 28' box trailers with 2 cars in them with no problems. I don't think there is as much pressure on the pin as most folks think. A 5/8" pin in good condition will hold many thousands of lbs of weight and consider, a huge portion of a trailers weight is transferred to the hitch through the friction of the receiver and insert. It's probably on the order of 50-75% of the weight of the trailer that is actually pulled through friction rather than the weight of the trailer acting directly on the pin. Additionally, the full weight of the trailer, as if it were actually being lifted by the pin, is almost never the case. Specifically, the actual pull on the pin is never more than the ability of the tow vehicle to apply torque. Rarely on the order of more than 400 foot pounds or so. I'd have to do some math, but I doubt you could ever actually break one through normal use. I have seen them get worn nearly through by years of use, but have never seen a broken one. So in this case, use whatever pin that came with your hitch.

I've considered occasionally purchasing a locking pin, but with all the road chum and salt and sand down there, I hesitate to lock anything that will take a torch to get off in a pinch. I'll just stick to my stocker...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

What @WilliamA said, but I did not pull such a variety of trailers.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Guess I should replace the zip ties that I use :o:o

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2018

Harbor Freight zip ties need replacing. Northern Tool zip ties should be fine. =)

Just kidding... :)

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

Just make sure the heavy side of the in faces the ground and put the spring clip in from the top. This ensures you don't lose your hitch if the clip wears out, it can't drop out.