Options

TV and Speakers

papapapa Member Posts: 15

i have my ipad connected to tv through the hdmi cable... i can use my tv speakers to listen.
how do i get my inside speakers in ceiling to play?

Comments

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

papa,

This is what I have done for a 2017 T@G but cannot imagine they have changed them much.

You need to add a left right audio cable from the audio out on the left side of the TV as your looking at the front to the audio in on the left side of the radio as your looking at the front. This is the tried and true RCA connector type cable. Select rear auxiliary on the radio when your playing your iPad. I have also found the TV should be on before the Radio or no audio.

If you want to keep the DVD functionality add a 2x1/1x2 hdmi switch then you can switch between your iPad and your DVD player. Just keep in mind you will need to select Rear Auxiliary for standard over the air TV.

Let us know how you make out with this.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options
    papapapa Member Posts: 15

No audio ports on left side radio

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

I use my Samsung tablet to play downloaded Netflix and Prime programming through the TV and the sound through the ceiling speakers. I'm not near my T@G right now, but there's a function on the audio/DVD control center labeled Auxiliary or something similar which will direct the audio to the speakers.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

Change the Jensen receiver to Aux One input and turn up the volume. You can turn off the TV speakers using a volume output setting on the TV.

2017 T@G Max

• Options

@mgreen2 said:
    Change the Jensen receiver to Aux One input and turn up the volume. You can turn off the TV speakers using a volume output setting on the TV.

That's the ticket! Doesn't get much easier than this.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

@papa,

I had some time to get you some pics. You need to remove the radio to plug into the audio in jacks.

Radio

TV

HDMI Switch behind the TV

I was playing around with TV antennas and figured I would give this a try, to my surprise it worked great! Screw into the cable connector on the side of the T@G and clip the other end to the aluminum fender and viola' the whole trailer is antenna. I had a cheap'o signal booster laying around an added that using the USB plug on the TV to power it. Left the shielding tail for later experiments. =)

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options

@OutdoorEd said:

@mgreen2 said:

That's the ticket! Doesn't get much easier than this.

The system works pretty well. No need to change any of the wiring.

2017 T@G Max

• Options

@mgreen2 said:
    The system works pretty well. No need to change any of the wiring.

Exactly. When we happened upon the Aux One button last spring, we were actually surprised it was that simple. I've come to expect these types of things aren't supposed to be so simple.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    Geoff_AckerGeoff_Acker Member Posts: 17

Hi, I’m a new 2019 TAG XL owner. I am having a lot of trouble getting the Jensen TV audio to play out of my overhead speakers. I have tried all the tips and suggestions in this thread but to no avail. The speakers play the radio and DVD audio fine. My specific Jensen DVD player does not have the mode Aux1 listed but does have Front Auxillary and Rear Auxillary. I’m assuming Aux 1 is Front Auxillary but it still does not play TV audio. Any More suggestions from seasoned TAG owners?

2019 T@G XL

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I found that the audio from the TV does work as you would expect, except for the fact that it is very low volume. To even hear it you need to turn the Jensen nearly all the way up.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@JamesDow said:
    I found that the audio from the TV does work as you would expect, except for the fact that it is very low volume. To even hear it you need to turn the Jensen nearly all the way up.

I have never just watched regular plain television in our T@G, but did watch a couple DVD. In the DVD watch, did not have that hproblem at all, but could be different when the sound has to travel from Tele to Jensen.

Luc

• Options
    tag816tag816 Member Posts: 16

@Geoff_Acker said:
    Hi, I’m a new 2019 TAG XL owner. I am having a lot of trouble getting the Jensen TV audio to play out of my overhead speakers. I have tried all the tips and suggestions in this thread but to no avail. The speakers play the radio and DVD audio fine. My specific Jensen DVD player does not have the mode Aux1 listed but does have Front Auxillary and Rear Auxillary. I’m assuming Aux 1 is Front Auxillary but it still does not play TV audio. Any More suggestions from seasoned TAG owners?

Same issue with my 2020 t@g....did you every figure out a solution? The speakers on the tv are awful compared to the side mounted speakers. I've had a laptop hooked up to HDMI and had to connect to the DVD player via bluetooth for any kind of audio. As with all things bluetooth, there's a bit of a delay between the screen and audio, but it's the only thing I've figured out.

• Options

@tag816 said:

@Geoff_Acker said:

Same issue with my 2020 t@g....did you every figure out a solution? The speakers on the tv are awful compared to the side mounted speakers. I've had a laptop hooked up to HDMI and had to connect to the DVD player via bluetooth for any kind of audio. As with all things bluetooth, there's a bit of a delay between the screen and audio, but it's the only thing I've figured out.

If they changed Jensen receiver models you’d have to figure out where the audio cables coming from the back of the TV are plugged into the Jensen receiver. Choose that input and it should work. I know they have a smaller Jensen receiver now but haven’t used it.

2017 T@G Max

• Options

@mgreen2 said:

@tag816 said:

@Geoff_Acker said:

If they changed Jensen receiver models you’d have to figure out where the audio cables coming from the back of the TV are plugged into the Jensen receiver. Choose that input and it should work. I know they have a smaller Jensen receiver now but haven’t used it.

Ah okay, I'll take a look at that. Thanks!

• Options

This looks like the new Jensen receiver and it shows rear aux is what you want for the RCA cable input

https://www.asaelectronics.com/jensen-dvd-usb-aux-hdmi-app-ready-bluetooth-wall-mount-stereo.html

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71

We have a 2019 T&G with the Jensen. Out from the Jensen is an HDMI to the TV. Scroll through the options using the source button on the Jensen control to "HDMI ARC", sound should come out of the speakers from the TV. It does require to turn up the sound slightly.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

What?

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
  • Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

I don’t have the Jensen so I’ll tap out here.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    hfxcarloshfxcarlos Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2020

@Geoff_Acker said:

Hi Geoff, I have a 2018 Tag with stock Jenson stereo and Jenson TV. I download Netflix shows to an iPad via Netflix app when at home to watch off-line when camping with a Lightning-to-HDMI dongle for iPad and a ~5' HDMI cable. When sending video from iPad into the TV (via only HDMI port on backside bottom of TV), I found the only way to get audio on the overhead stereo speakers was to connect a ~4' audio cable from TV audio-out 3.5mm port into the 3.5mm aux audio-input port on the front of the stereo and put the stereo into "front aux" mode. Have you figured out a solution that works?

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

I see all those old facts in their $45K campers that are 40ft long with those goofy dish domes and I laff...

I bought the 4kFiresstick from Amazon and stream my device to it. I have truly unlimited Verizon data so as long as I have a signal I can watch something. I can also mirror my device as well. Instead of using the power cord that comes with it I bought a device that plugs in line to the Firestick and provides it with a power source from the HDMI port. I have to select the aux1 on the receiver head unit and HDMI on the TV and im in business. All self contained... and with a 512gig usb stick I can keep a library of movies downloaded for when I cant get a signal.

• Options
    KDMerrillKDMerrill Member Posts: 4

I literally JUST solved this for myself. I am using a Roku Stick on the back of the television instead of the HDMI from the head-unit, so I couldn't use the HDMI ARC feature. Here is how I solved it.

1. Remove AC unit and set aside on the mattress (power cord is long enough)

2. Work 6' RCA cable into existing wire moulding behind TV, and then reach in through AC area to reach RCA cable ends.

3. Pull JWM70A Jensen head-unit out, and use a fish-tape to pull RCA cable ends over to head-unit. Audio plugs are on the REAR LEFT side.

4. Re-iinstall head-unit and AC unit

5. TV audio then on 'Rear Auxiliary' mode.

PS - in Settings on TV, I found best audio quality was by setting Aux out to constant volume vs. Variable, that way all the volume control is done on the head-unit, not the TV.

VIOLA - DONE.

2020 T@G XL Boondock Lite

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71

I added an HMDI splitter in the cabinet behind the TV, one for the Jensen head unit and one for the firestick, bluetooth firestick to head unit and now I have sound from Jensen for both.

• Options
    evpeelingevpeeling Member Posts: 67
    edited November 2020

@KDMerrill How did you pull the jensen unit out?

2020 Tag BD 5W, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, PA

• Options

@evpeeling,
    The Jensen head has four square head screws in each corner. Once remove the head unit pulls straight out. The screws are recessed quite a bit, so you need a long shank (small diameter) driver to access. I believe the square size was #2. You can also use a 1/8" flathead screwdriver as an alternative. (see pictures below)
    I bought a whole set from home depot for around $14. Now it is part of my travel tool set.
    I pulled my head unit out and attached a log RCA cord (speakers "B") and ran it out towards the rear loose under the refrigerator. Now I can have speakers outside if I desire.

I found that I had to do no wiring adjustments to get sound from the television to the Jensen head unit. Just changed the settings on the head unit. Like you, I thought it did not work at first, but found that the head unit had to be turned up very high for it to work as intended.
    In the process, I removed the speakers from the ceiling and dumped a fair amount of debris out of them from the T@G construction process. It made them sound much better, although not great (they never will be).
    Try fiddling with the head unit with the various settings.

As far as adding a HDMI splitter, I just use a short HDMI extension adapter. Plug it into the Jensen television and plug my firestick into it. Tucks away easily.

• Options

@JamesDow what year do you have? I have a 2020 and do not see the four screws.

After some digging on the facebook group I do believe with the new Jensen units you have run an RCA cord from the tv audio out to the Jensen because the audio is only connected via the one HDMI port and there is no "HDMI ARC" setting like mentioned above. I can use an HDMI splitter to double the ports but then I won't get audio from the Jensen if using a device through the second port.

• Options

[evpeeling]
    I have a 2018.
    You may have a plastic bezel which covers the screw holes.
    Maybe see if you can pry it, or better yet ...take the model number and look it up. The installation manual for you Jensen should make it clear.
    The four screws in mine just go intovthe wood.
    Best of luck. -Jim

• Options

Ok thanks. I found the manual and you are correct, the screws are covered by the plastic pieces on the sides

• Options

@KDMerrill said:
    I literally JUST solved this for myself. I am using a Roku Stick on the back of the television instead of the HDMI from the head-unit, so I couldn't use the HDMI ARC feature. Here is how I solved it.

1. Remove AC unit and set aside on the mattress (power cord is long enough)

2. Work 6' RCA cable into existing wire moulding behind TV, and then reach in through AC area to reach RCA cable ends.

3. Pull JWM70A Jensen head-unit out, and use a fish-tape to pull RCA cable ends over to head-unit. Audio plugs are on the REAR LEFT side.

4. Re-iinstall head-unit and AC unit

5. TV audio then on 'Rear Auxiliary' mode.

PS - in Settings on TV, I found best audio quality was by setting Aux out to constant volume vs. Variable, that way all the volume control is done on the head-unit, not the TV.

VIOLA - DONE.

Update: I did the steps above and now I also have audio through the camper speakers with a HDMI splitter! Woohoo! One thing is still stumping me - when connected to the TV with my phone to hdmi adapter, I only get audio from one speaker. Tried using three different RCA cables, same thing. When using FM/AM/DVD/BT I get audio from both speakers. Nevertheless, audio from one speaker is still better than the TV speakers so its a problem for another day.