Options

Does your Fantastic Fan provide any noticeable airflow?

Inadvertently went dry camping last week (most of the sites didn't have power), so really tried to conserve battery power. I turned the fan on for about a half an hour on the hot nights and noticed that the fan in either suck or blow mode really didn't seem to be circulating much air. I've got the Aero-Flo cover which looks like it would allow significant air flow and my vent opens a bit more than half way.

What's your sense? Is the air flow adequate for your needs on your camper?

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
Jay

Comments

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

Make sure you have a window open. I have great flow. Usually only use the fan on 20%. I do have the low amp conversion.

• Options
    michaelsandovalngcmichaelsandovalngc Member Posts: 29

I noticed the same thing when i did notnhave my windows cracked. As soon as i opened them the fan seem to kick in to high gear

San Diego, CA
    2018 T@G boondock
    2011 Subaru Outback

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

Thanks for the response michaels. The fan is running and the vent is open more than half way (aeroflo cover keeps it from fully opening), just the amount of air movement is really low.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Fourman110 said:
    Thanks for the response michaels. The fan is running and the vent is open more than half way (aeroflo cover keeps it from fully opening), just the amount of air movement is really low.

Just to make sure you got this, you also need to open a window. W/0 this, air will not circulate in any direction, or hardly.

• Options

Good point LuckyJ. Had both side windows down about 2/3s of the way. Can you feel a pretty good breeze with yours?

I’m just surprised how little airflow there is for that size of fan.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options

Mine is pretty good. But you will not feel air flow is fan is sucking air toward the ouside of the trailer. It will regulate the ait temp, removing warmer air from inside of the trailer to the outside. If you want to feel a breeze, you need to make the fan pull air from the outside to the inside and still open the windows for the air to get out.

Hope this help.

• Options
    MahojinMahojin Member Posts: 7

Key is side windows.

Jake & Mitsue. T@G Max "Red-Teddy" MN, Honda Pilot Touring

• Options

Ran a test tonight, placing a sheet of typing paper on the fan and holding the paper in place by my finger (centered). My door was wide open and the fan was set on 3 (highest setting).

The edges of the paper slowly flapped up and down half an inch, maybe 3/4”. Pretty sad. On suck it held the paper in place and seemed more efficient.

It could be my aeroflo cover restricts air flow but I doubt it. There’s slots on all three sides of the cover and inside the fan lid is about 5/8 open (so mostly open).

Any ideas?

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options

Remove the aeroflo cover and test again.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I abandoned my vent covers (tried 2 different styles) as being too restrictive in either direction. Works much better without them.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited June 2018

WilliamA: I suspect you're right (and not many people chimed in whether they can feel significant air flow (even though that's a belly button request for response).

Lightningdon: A test w/ removing the cover is my next step.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Just pray it's not hot, sticky and raining! Water splashing in isn't fun and this is why a good vent cover is valuable for times like these. Cracking the window a bit does create nice air flow when sucking it up through the vent and also keeps the condensation issue at bay.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    DouglasDouglas Member Posts: 12

I had the fantastic vent cover on mine 90 bucks
    And with the windows open it made a huge difference. The vent cover hade to go in the screws that held the fan down some of the tags have the screws hid mine was showing which just caulking around it

• Options

@Michigan_Mike said:
    Just pray it's not hot, sticky and raining! Water splashing in isn't fun and this is why a good vent cover is valuable for times like these.

I don't use a cover, though I have thought about it. I use a Hasika canopy over the galley when camping. If rain is expected, I move the canopy further up the camper to cover the vent. Truth be told, I just hate the look of the covers when installed. Might consider some other temporary solution that can be removed when traveling.

• Options
    TravelGalTravelGal Member Posts: 6

Lightningdon, please post if you find a temporary solution. I also have not installed a vent cover, as I also do not like the look.

• Options

@Lightningdon said:
    I just hate the look of the covers when installed. Might consider some other temporary solution that can be removed when traveling.

That's why I like the Aeroflo covers, they work fine and also have an aerodynamic look to them as opposed to the big-boxy look of the larger covers.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

@Michigan_Mike said:

@Lightningdon said:
    I just hate the look of the covers when installed. Might consider some other temporary solution that can be removed when traveling.

That's why I like the Aeroflo covers, they work fine and also have an aerodynamic look to them as opposed to the big-boxy look of the larger covers.

Hey Michigan Mike, I too use Aeroflo, but with even a door wide open don't get a lot of air blowing into the camper. Here's my video with the fan on speed 3, vent open all the way it would open (about 2/3). Is this about the airflow you see coming in on yours?

Wish I could post a video because it's pretty pathetic, but this sight won't take video's (probably a storage resource issue).

I'm going to pull the top off of the Aeroflo over the weekend and try it again, but don't believe the cover is much impedance.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

I have a cover over my vent and get GREAT air flow with my fan. Makes me think it may be a problem with your fan itself.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options

I basically crack the windows on the sides 2-3" and suck air out of the trailer. It creates a nice cooling effect. It's always worked well for me.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    TennTimTennTim Member Posts: 29

I have a cover but it was never attached. Mostly use it at home under a trailer cover just set in place. Otherwise I take it off for trips. If I was really afraid of rain at the destination I guess I might bring it. I haven’t forgotten to remove it before a trip, yet...

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

My fan is too much flow. On low with the window cracked 2” or so brings in the outside immediately. Nice. On high it’s too loud and windy. You might have a conversion.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

@Fourman110 said:

@Michigan_Mike said:

@Lightningdon said:

Hey Michigan Mike, I too use Aeroflo, but with even a door wide open don't get a lot of air blowing into the camper. Here's my video with the fan on speed 3, vent open all the way it would open (about 2/3). Is this about the airflow you see coming in on yours?

Wish I could post a video because it's pretty pathetic, but this sight won't take video's (probably a storage resource issue).

I'm going to pull the top off of the Aeroflo over the weekend and try it again, but don't believe the cover is much impedance.

Post your vid on you tube and link it. Do not remember if I mentionned this, but I went with the fan switch mod cause our was turning way to fast dor our taste even at 1 and both sides.

I think I have a link to a vid in my tread Le Refuge

• Options

Thanks for the help LuckyJ. I've posted it on Youtube at:
    https://youtu.be/pK6xu638jFs

Haven't had time to retest with the vent cover pulled off as I keep the unit off site when I'm not camping or working on it.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay