Options

Temporary Battery Connection

I've been renting teardrops for a while now. First I rented a Little Guy (twice) and then we rented a T@B for a week. On my first trip with the little guy, my battery was getting low by the time I had been out for four days--hardly unreasonable battery life. With the T@B I was concerned about battery power and as a result I bought a spare battery and solar suitcase to take with me. We aggressively conserved power, and got through the whole week without needing the backup battery or solar power. We would have enjoyed using more power for lights, water, and fan and stuff.

So now I am renting a T@G for five days, and I want to bring my backup battery and solar suitcase--if only just to play with them. The solar suitcase has its own controller and jumper-cable styled connectors that I can easily route into the battery case.

What I am trying to figure out is what kind of temporary cables I can use to sister-up my spare battery with the installed battery. Since it is a rental, I don't want to disconnect anything. I think I will stow the spare underneath the camper and use a pair of jumper cables to connect them, but I wonder if there would be any problems I didn't think of.

What do you think?
Trailpixie

P.S. I am trying out all these campers in preparation for my own purchase. I am now trying to decide between a T@B and a T@G.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

Jumper cables would be fine as a temporary measure. Clip to your solar panels first, then tothe battery. Be careful to not trip over your cables during your camping.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

If you are trying to put 2 12v batteries together, you may over power the system, @WilliamA Im sure you can chime in here with great musings and information.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
  • Options

@Trailpixie if you are renting the T@G, it is not a good idea to add any batteries to the set-up. If I were in your shoes, I would read the rental agreement very carefully.

I was answering the part about using your alligator clips to connect to the T@G’s battery with your solar panel.

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2018

Many times the 12v power sockets (lighter socket) are wired and fuse for 15A. You can "backfeed" the system through these ports easily and safely. Generally the sockets are simply wired to the battery through the fuse. Simple, safe and accessible for your described use.
    It can also be done with a wired 7 pin socket to mate with the trailer pigtail.

There are several ideas in this thread:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/95404#Comment_95404

Have Fun!
    Bob

• Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 10

@rfuss928 said:
    Many times the 12v power sockets (lighter socket) are wired and fuse for 15A. You can "backfeed" the system through these ports easily and safely. Generally the sockets are simply wired to the battery through the fuse. Simple, safe and accessible for your described use.
    It can also be done with a wired 7 pin socket to mate with the trailer pigtail.

There are several ideas in this thread:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/95404#Comment_95404

Have Fun!
    Bob

That sounds very interesting? I may need to look into that. It’s sort of like those car batter chargers that work through the cig lighter power port.

• Options

@BBsGarage said:
    If you are trying to put 2 12v batteries together, you may over power the system, @WilliamA Im sure you can chime in here with great musings and information.

What does it mean to “overpower the system” with two batteries in parallel? I don’t understand how this could be a risk from an electrical point of view.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2018

I don't watch tv as a rule and only have access to television through netflix and its cousins. But I spent some time a couple of years ago trying to understand why people do watch it. So I was doing my research into this phenomenon and stumbled across a show called "Monk". I am a fan of Tony Shalhoub's movies (Galaxy Quest, MIB, 13 Ghosts, etc) and instantly fell in love with his character in Monk. It's probably because I identify with Monk's world view and general disdain for social antics and often feel, to quote Jethro Tull:
    "Like everyone is on the stage
    and it feels like you're the only
    person sitting in the audience."
    ("Skating Away...on the thin ice of a new daaaaaayyy")

Back to Monk. Monk would say: "See, Here's the Thing."

Every one of us already carries 2 batteries. One in the trailer and one in the car. The best, easiest, environmentally friendly, economical, fuel efficient, long lasting, attractive and safest way to hook up 2 batteries for boondocking is to plug in the trailer to tow vehicle connector. I might add that by a happy coincidence, the tow vehicle comes standard with a 14.5 volt, 120-135 AMP!...Yes, AMP! Generator!. Setting up MoonBase Alpha with solar arrays might net you a few amps on a good day.
    So when someone says they carry an extra battery, it really means they have 3 batteries; 1 in the trailer, 1 carried as a spare hooked up to the trailer intermittently with jumper cables, zamp connectors or some other DARPA researched connection regimen that they move around and hook up to solar panels or an external generator, and 1 languishing in the tow vehicle running the car clock.

I know that my trailer "has" a battery because when I turn on the lights, they come on. As to how big it is, how many amps or what group it belongs to, I've no idea. Never looked. Don't care.
    My youngest son (he's 9) spends most of his campsite time either immolating every unfortunate stick he can find in the fire pit or turning on every electrical device we have. I have never had an incident with my gadgetry shutting down because of low voltage. I don't check my voltage. When we hop from camp to camp, my Jeep happily charges all 2 of my batteries without the need of my intervention. On the rare occasion that I stay in the same site for more than 3 days, I'll start the jeep and let it run for a few minutes while brushing my teeth or something. If I need 110V to run my furnace or charge my laptop, I'll start the generator.

The best way to carry a spare battery is in the car....under the hood...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@WilliamA said:
    I don't watch tv as a rule and only have access to television through netflix and its cousins. But I spent some time a couple of years ago trying to understand why people do watch it. So I was doing my research into this phenomenon and stumbled across a show called "Monk". I am a fan of Tony Shalhoub's movies (Galaxy Quest, MIB, 13 Ghosts, etc) and instantly fell in love with his character in Monk. It's probably because I identify with Monk's world view and general disdain for social antics and often feel, to quote Jethro Tull:
    "Like everyone is on the stage
    and it feels like you're the only
    person sitting in the audience."
    ("Skating Away...on the thin ice of a new daaaaaayyy")

Back to Monk. Monk would say: "See, Here's the Thing."

Every one of us already carries 2 batteries. One in the trailer and one in the car. The best, easiest, environmentally friendly, economical, fuel efficient, long lasting, attractive and safest way to hook up 2 batteries for boondocking is to plug in the trailer to tow vehicle connector. I might add that by a happy coincidence, the tow vehicle comes standard with a 14.5 volt, 120-135 AMP!...Yes, AMP! Generator!. Setting up MoonBase Alpha with solar arrays might net you a few amps on a good day.
    So when someone says they carry an extra battery, it really means they have 3 batteries; 1 in the trailer, 1 carried as a spare hooked up to the trailer intermittently with jumper cables, zamp connectors or some other DARPA researched connection regimen that they move around and hook up to solar panels or an external generator, and 1 languishing in the tow vehicle running the car clock.

I know that my trailer "has" a battery because when I turn on the lights, they come on. As to how big it is, how many amps or what group it belongs to, I've no idea. Never looked. Don't care.
    My youngest son (he's 9) spends most of his campsite time either immolating every unfortunate stick he can find in the fire pit or turning on every electrical device we have. I have never had an incident with my gadgetry shutting down because of low voltage. I don't check my voltage. When we hop from camp to camp, my Jeep happily charges all 2 of my batteries without the need of my intervention. On the rare occasion that I stay in the same site for more than 3 days, I'll start the jeep and let it run for a few minutes while brushing my teeth or something. If I need 110V to run my furnace or charge my laptop, I'll start the generator.

The best way to carry a spare battery is in the car....under the hood...

WilliamA

what?

• Options

@Trailpixie, @WilliamA is saying he has never had the need in his thousands of miles of travel to have a second battery. If his battery is low, he connects to his tow vehicle and the Jeep’s alternator/battery will then charge the T@G’s battery.

To answer an earlier question, yes, you can wire two 12V batteries in parallel, but most people have chosen to wire two 6V golf cart batteries in series to gain extra longer staying power. I have two 6V golf cart batteries wired in series for my T@B, but I have more added features (boiler, hot water heater, three way fridge, ARB fridge/freezer, and my electronics) than the T@G has.

@BBsGarage questioned whether you actually needed the extra amp hours from two batteries. You do need to calculate the amps you need in order to be able to justify whether you need the extra battery power for your T@G.

• Options

Thanks, Verna.

I was being a bit snarky with my one-word response to @WilliamA's long answer. Sorry @Verna . Sorry @WilliamA .

I am not sure that using a tow vehicle as a charger is my best plan, particularly if I plan to park the T@G for a few days and use it for a base camp. Connecting the car and running it at idle for an hour seems excessive, and may not even work. On this forum I have read about people who couldn't keep their three-way fridge in their T@B running AND their camper battery charged while driving. Their solution was 100 watts of solar on the roof for highway driving. I was looking at the link below to see that charging with the TV isn't always effective, even if you don't mind leaving your car idling for an hour. Perhaps a heavy duty towing vehicle will work, but a lighter-duty Subaru may not.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=64574.0

Thanks for the help. I am going to try the short jumper cables connected to the extra 12V battery in parallel along with the 100 watt solar suitcase. I'll report back about my results. Hopefully the T@G doesn't burn down. Haha.

Trailpixie

@Verna said:
    @Trailpixie, @WilliamA is saying he has never had the need in his thousands of miles of travel to have a second battery. If his battery is low, he connects to his tow vehicle and the Jeep’s alternator/battery will then charge the T@G’s battery.

To answer an earlier question, yes, you can wire two 12V batteries in parallel, but most people have chosen to wire two 6V golf cart batteries in series to gain extra longer staying power. I have two 6V golf cart batteries wired in series for my T@B, but I have more added features (boiler, hot water heater, three way fridge, ARB fridge/freezer, and my electronics) than the T@G has.

@BBsGarage questioned whether you actually needed the extra amp hours from two batteries. You do need to calculate the amps you need in order to be able to justify whether you need the extra battery power for your T@G.

• Options

@Trailpixie, everyone is helpful, and @WilliamA and I can get a bit verbose. You‘ll get used to all of us the longer you’re here.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

The fridge in the T@B is much different than the one in the T@G so you cant really transfer that bit of info. But it does seem to be a YMMV type of thing with the battery.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

Our travel habit is to drive to an interesting boondock spot and use it as a basecamp for adventures and hikes. We get up in morning and go out (sans trailer) for the whole day. We typically return for a late dinner in camp, clean dishes after dark, and crawl into bed. I'm not sure we would even have enough waking time to charge our batteries from a car.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Two 6v batteries in series gives me about 4 days of power. I have a Nocold reefer, water pump, lights, and tech toys. I camp like trail pixie and after 4 days I generally relocate. The TV charges the 6v’s while relocating. I never recharge when static.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

@Trailpixie said:
    What I am trying to figure out is what kind of temporary cables I can use to sister-up my spare battery with the installed battery. Since it is a rental, I don't want to disconnect anything. I think I will stow the spare underneath the camper and use a pair of jumper cables to connect them, but I wonder if there would be any problems I didn't think of.

What do you think?
    Trailpixie

P.S. I am trying out all these campers in preparation for my own purchase. I am now trying to decide between a T@B and a T@G.

I think from the solar end it will all hinge on your geographic location and your ability to harvest sunlight (minus cloud cover) and your ability to conserve energy. Your biggest impediment will be the Norcold cooler and it's energy consumption. You can buy battery cables at Walmart and if you can get both batteries in the tub of the T@G that will make your task easier. I've had 4 trailers and purchased an ARB frig/freezer unit to address the situation you are trying to remedy, just because it consumes less energy and is more efficient than what is in your trailer. Take along a cooler, freeze water in gallon jugs or buy block ice as this will help your cause. And depending on how cool the nights are you could also shut the Norcold down at night and conserve energy that way as well. Solar panel placement is key here too and you might consider some tasty freeze dried meals to offset your need to cool perishable items, etc.

Good luck as it sounds like you have done your homework and have some experience using the trailers. Pretty tough going to a smaller trailer after having owned a 4 wide, 5 wide, Silver shadow and a 320 T@B. My vote is for the T@B, heated quarters, 3 way frig, shower, etc.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

Like Tom, I use 2 6volt GC batteries and can get up to 5 days running the fridge and conservatively use the lights and TV. I am also going to haul my original 12 volt battery and a set of jumpers to run just the fridge for 2 or 3 days. I wired the male end of the cable shown below to the fridge pigtail, cut off and attached the female end to the wire coming out of the camper, then I can unplug fridge from camper and plug into the jumper attached to my aux battery. I am hoping to get 7 days without having to hook up to the truck to recharge.