Options

Tongue Box Makeover

georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 9
edited March 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades

Edited for picture size.

This project began with purchasing the largest aluminum locking box I could fit onto the tongue of my 2017 Little Guy Silver Shadow without moving the battery. The box measures 36" X 18" X 18".

To begin, a few deck-boards were attached across the a-frame and into the steel using self-driiling screws. The tongue box was then bolted to the boards using stainless steel bolts. Each drilled hole received a good dab of silicone prior to the box being bolted down.

The box holds camping gear that is too large for the galley or too dirty for the cabin as well as the power box for the exterior 12-volt LED lighting and 12-volt accessories. Power to the box is fed from the battery through a rubber gasket in the bottom of the tongue box. A 'marine grade' 12 volt receptacle was bolted to the outside of the box. All fasteners were stainless steel to minimize galvanic reactions with the aluminum. A series of eyebolts were fastened to the outside of the box (right front corner) to hold and organize the safety chains and trailer wiring plug. A hub bearing dust cover fits over the wiring plug when not in use to keep out dirt and rain. The replica license RR plate was added just for fun.

This 'power box' was built to contain the control unit for the remote, switches and wiring for 12-volt LED lighting. The basic wooden box was purchased at a craft store and modified for my purpose. It needed a bit of reinforcement before attaching the components (perhaps too fragile without), but for $3 it was an inexpensive start to this project. The box was attached to a half shelf inside the tongue box. Power to the tongue box was fed from the battery through a rubber gasket in the bottom of the tongue box and then through a hole in the side of the wooden power box. A 5 amp inline fuse was inserted between the battery and the box.

I picked up the small plastic distribution panel at a surplus electronic store for fifty cents which made some of my connections simpler and bit more organized. ( A larger wood box in retrospect would have helped. ) A few connections were soldered and tape wrapped.

I had decided early on in the project planning to add LED lighting to the underside of the camper and second strip to the awning. The strips are 5 volt USB plugin and so I simply insert a USB /12 V adapter into the 12 V receptacle and plug in the lights. The toggle and remote then control the lights. By using a remote control feature I could turn the exterior lights on when returning to the camper at night. That's what the rectangular black unit is in the picture. The remote feature (using a fob) is good for 70’ and was purchased at Princess Auto. The three toggle switches on the lower front side are to power on the LED strips, the tongue box interior light and the 12-volt auxiliary outlet. The toggles themselves are lit when on. I may add a master switch just to be certain I do not have any accidental battery drain.

Best part? Everything works and is holding up just fine. I have also posted some additional mods here on instructables.

S.S Tearjerker
2017 Little Guy Silver Shadow, 2018 Subaru Forester XT

Comments

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Love your stuff. Thanks for sharing! In regards to the 7Pin plug holder on the box (sweet). I would warn you to make sure that water was not able to easily seep into your 7Pin contacts and create all sorts of problems. My 7Pin is always facing down. This arrangement has worked well for me. Your pictures show an uncapped and capped plug facing up. Pretty sure you have it covered but just expressing an observation.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 9

Thanks. Ya, the first pic was taken right after I attached the holder. Cap is always on otherwise.

S.S Tearjerker
    2017 Little Guy Silver Shadow, 2018 Subaru Forester XT

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
  • Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

Gotta link to that box? I'm looking for one and see some that initially look ok but I'd prefer something that would secure the batteries since they're not cheap.

• Options
    Gerald98053Gerald98053 Member Posts: 25

I like your setup. I hope it has worked out well. The parts are arriving for me to do a very similar job this weekend. The half-round plastic tongue box that came with my TAG was cracking and dying. I am trying to figure out the best place to put the battery cut-off switch. The old location (dead center, under the front window) no longer seems very convenient.

Gerald
    Redmond, Washington
    Nissan Armada
    Nucamp T@G (2017) & Forest River Vibe 25RK (2021)

• Options
    danpdanp Member Posts: 44

Your attention to detail is inspiring, In my head I m but it does not go down into my hands :)