Options

Tips on replacing plastic cover on screw rail on T@g teardrop trailer

happydogshappydogs Member Posts: 2

The 1" plastic (vinyl) covers on the screw rails on either side of Maggie, our 2016 T@g trailer, have cracked and fallen off. I bought some new cover material but can't find any information on replacing the strips on a T@g. Specifically, do I need to remove the front handles (that the covers seem to run under) to replace the covers? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

About he handle cover, pretty much sure that you do need to remove them.

As for the plasti cover strip, I have never played with them my self, But if I would need to, I would do it in a bring and warm sunny day, after the strip were laying in the sun till they get soft and/or use a heat gun (a bonefied hair dryer) that you find in a hardware store.

Other will more that likely have better info than I do

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

It is not difficult.

Yes you remove the handles first. They are secured with 2 size hex screws. The plastic handle cover comes off first and then the handle itself. It has some sealant around the edge so just pull it off after removing the screws.

After you get the handles off take the plastic screw cover strip off. You take it off by removing the screw underneath the camper on the front and rear and the old plastic piece comes off in one piece.

Put the new on on from the front, securing it with the screw and washer you took off and then just pinch it into the screw rail continuing all the way to the rear. Put the screw and washer back to secure the rear of the strip.

Reinstall the handles with the screws you took off. Put a dab of clear silicone sealant over all the holes before you put the screws back to seal them. Also put some sealant along the edge of the handle base like they did at the factory. The plastic cover for the handle is just for decoration so be careful not to tighten the screws holding it on too tight or it will crack.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    happydogshappydogs Member Posts: 2

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions! I feel comfortable going ahead with the replacement.

• Options
    BillBill Member Posts: 1

Great instructions mgreen@ . Where do you order the 1'' vinyl strip?

bamullen

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

You can buy from NuCamp or if your trailer is still under warranty they will send it no charge. Or any RV dealer, parts company or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Vinyl-Insert-Inhibitors-Extended/dp/B0006JLW5M

2017 T@G Max