Options

Another Galley Mod

I decided to add a slide out drawer below the stove to the galley of my LG Silver Shadow teardrop camper. This way my dishes and kitchen supplies can be easily accessed when the stove is in the pulled out and in the in-use position. The stove is on a slide out above the storage space making it a bit difficult to get at stuff underneath.

Since most drawer slide mechanisms are side mounted and intended for frameless cupboards, I needed to build out the sidewalls of the opening slightly to make them flush with the frame. This would now accommodate a 24“ wide shelf.

As you can see from the pictures, I mounted the cupboard side of the slide mechanisms to the two pieces of 1 X 2 and then secured the pieces to the floor of the opening. I then added an oak face, a drawer pull, a couple of cork bumpers and gave it 2 coats of spar varnish.

Materials Cost for sliders, ply and oak face strip: Approximately $15 (not including screws and varnish on hand)

My other mods, previously posted, can be found here.

Scott and the S.S. Tearjerker

S.S Tearjerker
2017 Little Guy Silver Shadow, 2018 Subaru Forester XT

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Nice work. But are you sure that tyoe of house hold slides will survived the pounding and bouncing of the roads?

• Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 9

Thanks. As for your worry, I really don't know for certain until it fails. Each metal piece, top and bottom, both sides, have 6 screws apiece into a wood member. There is no way for it to move laterally. It ain't going to let go, you wouldn't think. I also use a couple of bungees to keep cabinet doors closed when traveling, so I will probably put another across the face of this drawer to keep it from sliding forward. After all, I would want to break my favourite draft glass.

S.S Tearjerker
    2017 Little Guy Silver Shadow, 2018 Subaru Forester XT

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@georgianwinds i just know that things bounce a lot back there. My fridge was once out of it drawer location. Before that day, I tought it was screw in place in the bottom of the drawer. i was wrong. Lol