Options

Planning for a longer trip

BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

How do you plan a longer trip? Do you plot out where to stay in advance or just drive and hope to find a place along the way?
We are looking to plan a trip to Yellowstone next year and I am wondering how I should go about it. Google says its 33 hours from NJ.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

"Running is not a plan...Running is what you do when your plan doesn't work". Earl T. Bass. From the movie, "Tremors"

Hmmm... I plan my trips on the map in very basic terms. Mostly, I plan my "must see" stops and then just go from there. I spend my road days driving hard and just lay up for a few hours at truck stop parking lots. I like to drive hard for the first 24-30 hours and then lay up in a campground for a day or two to shower and work out the bugs and kinks. Of course you'll want to get reservations at Yellowstone but for the rest, just wing it. From NJ, you could do the northern route up 76 to 80 west but I much prefer the I-74 across Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. You can get back to I-80 in Illinois by heading north off 74 on I-39 north or just stay on 74 to Des Moines, Iowa. I-74 is a great road (mostly) and no tolls. It sounds like (per Verna's report) the loop around/through Indianapolis is a mess but anything beats going past Chi-town on I-80. Rough road, tolls, craziness day or night.
    I don't know your itinerary but a good alternative to I-80 across Nebraska (many folks hate it but I rather like the open plains, except for the headwind) is to take I-35 north from Des Moines, Iowa up to I-90 west. Some fantastic country along with drive-by's including the Badlands, Black Hills, Devils Tower, etc.
    As to camping, I've always been able to talk my way into a wee spot for a night. State and federal campgrounds are strict (or maybe apathetic?) about squeezing in but private campgrounds can usually find a spot for you. Ka-ching!
    Let us know your itinerary!
    "I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere
    Across the desert bare man I've breathed the mountain air man
    Travel, I've had my share man
    I've been everywhere..."
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

this is still in the "thinking about" stage so Ill let you know as we figure it out. I know all about Chicago as my daughter went to school there, It wasnt the crazys (I drive NJ hiways) as it was the tolls, that killed me. Definitely will be stopping in the Rapid City area for a few days, but beyond that I havent looked into it too much.

Bill

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

I-65 on the Northwest side of downtown Indy is open now....BUT now I-465 on the Southside will be lane restricted for a few weeks (seems like months!) for some resurfacin.

If you want to go to Greenwood, Indiana....don’t—you can’t get there! Madison Av is closed, Smith Valley road is closed, and now Emerson Av that parallels I-65 is lane restricted. It’s a good thing I really don’t like to shop!

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited August 2018

William...rocking the Johnny Cash B)

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited August 2018

I have to agree with William here. You will have to llan way ahead of time for some of the prestigious place you want to be, but many of the on the way places can be booked the same day if you plan to be late, or if you are the leave early and stop mid afternoon, you might not even have to call ahead to get a place. But that all depens where you plan to stop and what time of the year you want to make your trips.

We are leaving for Orlando next week. 9 days were pre booked at disneys fort wilderness and 2 at the Jetty park near the beach just so a rocket lunch would not be a crowd problem. But other wise, from Quebec, nothing is realy planed. We will see as we go for the remaining of the trip (a full 3 weeks).

• Options

@LuckyJ sounds like a fun trip, be sure to wave as you pass NJ.

Bill

• Options

@BBsGarage said:

I will. To avoid NYC, I'am planing on taking the garden state pkw. Any cons?

• Options

@LuckyJ said:

@BBsGarage said:

Tolls, lots of them, an EZ pass will make them easier to navigate but still $$ and depending when you will be traveling, traffic. Friday evenings and Saturday mornings and obviously rush hours are the worst. taking 287 to 78 and then taking 78/81 south thru PA/MD/VA then 64 thru Richmond to 95 is my preferred route to head south.

Bill

• Options

@BBsGarage said:

@LuckyJ said:

@BBsGarage said:

Tolls, lots of them, an EZ pass will make them easier to navigate but still $$ and depending when you will be traveling, traffic. Friday evenings and Saturday mornings and obviously rush hours are the worst. taking 287 to 78 and then taking 78/81 south thru PA/MD/VA then 64 thru Richmond to 95 is my preferred route to head south.

Thank you for the tip! I will look into it and more than likely go with your experience! :)

• Options

@LuckyJ said:

@BBsGarage said:

@LuckyJ said:

@BBsGarage said:

Thank you for the tip! I will look into it and more than likely go with your experience! :)

That route also avoids Baltimore/DC area as well.

Bill

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

As for the original question, we took quite the opposite track from William A for our recent 9,000 mile cross country trip. I decided in advance where I wanted to get to each night and went on Recreation.gov and reserved a nearby canpsite. They are mostly Corps of Engineers campgrounds and many are on lakes and they are always well maintained. Had to go commercial a couple of times when there wasn't anything public close by but still made reservations. We made camping along the way just as enjoyable as our destinations.

• Options

I’m a reservation guy too!

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

I always have the worry of what if we dont get there because of traffic/breakdown etc... or the inevitable "hey, lets stop and see this place."
    Kinda my hang up I guess, We will probably do a combination of reserved and winging it.

Bill

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

It's also important to plan for what not to do. That's to say make enough holes in the schedule so as not to become the "Ten Minute Tourist". Those are the folks who pile out of an overloaded car at the south rim of Grand Canyon, leave the engine run, get 2 panoramas, 8 selfies and blast off for Bryce, Escalante, Lake Powell and Arches...for supper. Sad to say, I've been that guy too. That sort of planning not only wrecks vacations but creates more stress. A single traffic slowdown can ruin 2 weeks of reservations, not to mention a years worth of anticipation.
    I like to spend time poring over maps of the route I plan to take, then zoom in on what's along the way. A bit of research makes inclement weather into an Opportunity as opposed to a liability. Get a good rain jacket. One that has some sort of lining so it doesn't feel like you've worn a trash bag. Motorcycle shops have lots of different kinds. "Dry Rider" is a good brand.
    I like to refer to those days as "found time". Libraries, historic places, museums and funky coffee shops can sew a sows ear into a purse. Many of my truly treasured travel moments have been accidental. Just as important, if the stars (weather, etc) align and you make that 2 hour layover at Wall Drug that turns into a 6 hour wander, leave enough holes in the schedule to not get bound up. It's inevitable that your schedule will be at your back all the while, but you made the schedule, after all.
    Plan "maintenance stops". I occasionally plug in a half-day for it. That'll do 2 things: give you time to look things over and more importantly, prompt you to spend time in advance ensuring you won't need them. 4 hours is enough time to overhaul the entire axle. Once you see it's not needed, it's also about enough time to do a load or 2 of laundry and tidy up.
    Plan for and expect cold weather. I take two swearshurts and two long sleeve t-shirts. Most hypothermia incidents happen at 50 degrees or higher.
    I have a cheesy 19 dollar backpack I got at Target. It'll fit a water bottle, camera rain jacket and most importantly, my billfold, keys, a few bucks cash and snacks. Nothing compares to losing keys or billfold.
    I'll shut up now...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Locking key’s in car while parked in the middle of nowhere trumps loosing the keys. They stare at you while you consider the least expensive way to destroy your car in order to gain entry. :s . Sorry...I digressed.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV