Options

T@G wheel seals

Thought I'd post this quick before it gets lost in the mountain of unfinished posts and photos. I just did my maintenance for wheel bearings and seals and thought this might be a good thing for folks to write down. Here is the make/model and manufacturer of the wheel seals I just installed into my 2017 T@G:

They worked great, look very nice (quality-wise) and fit perfectly. Best of all, this outfit is a common source for parts across the auto-parts industry. Make a note and tuck it away...
WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    SparrowSparrow Member Posts: 19

when should this maintenance be performed?

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Three possible occasions.
    . When you manually repact your bearings,
    -When you replace your bearings
    -when you realized that all the grease is getting out the back of the hub.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

The T@Gs have Dexter axles with E Z Lube system. Every year or 10,000 miles.

https://youtu.be/XT0RKDGgDm8

2017 T@G Max

• Options

Thank you @Mgreen2, but he was saking about when to change the seals.

But that vid is always good to remind peoples. :)

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

@Sparrow said:
    when should this maintenance be performed?

Wheel bearings should be inspected and lubricated every 12 months or 12,000 miles per he manufacturers (Dexter Axle) recommendations.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

A few more pounds of just in case. I know this hub doesen't have a brake but works great in a pinch. The seals listed have a double lip and are for a 1.5" axle. www.etrailer.com

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2018

Correct me if I'm wrong but the axle on T@Gs is 1 1/16" seals which probably means a 1" spindle. I'll check...

Checking.....

Don't forget if you are going to run a hub without brake drum to disable the electric brake or it'll pull to one side something awful.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@WilliamA This is a 2018 model perhaps they made a change? Where the seal rides is 1 1/2" here are some pics

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options

A trick we used in aviation when transporting a greased spare wheel and tire assembly. Put a couple covers with a bolt or something else to keep the bearings from falling out. Keeps dirt out grease and bearings in. This hub is so small a long bolt with a couple large area washers does the tick.

• Options
    edited December 2018

I like that.

Way easier to chamge full hub already moumted with bearing than mess with old bearing and a punch chizel and hammer out in tye field.

Makes for a qick repair. Will steal the bolt idea for sure.

I have been carriyng a spare axle (flex ride) and hub assembly for my utility/off road trailer for a few years now. Never had to use it, but it is like a spare tire. You carry it so you do not need it. But when you do, you can be rolling in just a few minutes, any time of day, and any day of the week. :)

And even if someone else is doing the work for you, the parts are i idiatly available, so any small town garrage can do it, even when stores are closed. :)