Options

Outlet conversion

Hello, anyone have an idea how I should go about putting a 110 outlet in the space where the fridge was? We are storing our Norco. Two reasons. One, we want that space for dishes and a coffee maker, and two, less drain on the battery. I want to put an outlet back where the fridge was plugged in so I can keep my coffee maker there full time instead of having to lift it up on the counter each time to plug into those outlets. Electrical is not my strong point when DIY. I know how to connect and all that, just not sure about proper wiring and all. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks! Rickwe818

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

What kind of trailer? T@G, T@B, 5w, 6w etc...
    PM me.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited September 2018

@rickwe818 said:
    Hello, anyone have an idea how I should go about putting a 110 outlet in the space where the fridge was? We are storing our Norco. Two reasons. One, we want that space for dishes and a coffee maker, and two, less drain on the battery. I want to put an outlet back where the fridge was plugged in so I can keep my coffee maker there full time instead of having to lift it up on the counter each time to plug into those outlets. Electrical is not my strong point when DIY. I know how to connect and all that, just not sure about proper wiring and all. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks! Rickwe818

I think you'd be fine with #14/2 standard house wire and a GFI. They do make the receptacles with USB ports in them too if you want to charge an iphone or use any 12 volt accessory. I see that you've got a 2017 T@G 6-wide too so am assuming you've already got a 110V setup and electric converter in the trailer. I would tap into one of the existing 110V outlets and install an outlet in the former cooler area using a remodel style plastic box or something similar. There should be ample room behind the wall and if push comes to shove you can always buy a smaller box at a nearby RV parts store.

Nothing better than fresh coffee in the morning and a happy wife! =)

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    rickwe818rickwe818 Member Posts: 37

Michigan Mike, that is the idea I had. Just want to make sure the wire that was connecting to the Norco would also power my coffee maker since that's the only thing I would have hooked up to it. Thanks!

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

Our Norcold 30 in our 2017 T@G 5-wide is a 12 volt appliance so the circuit to it would not support a 110 volt coffee maker, I believe yours is the same. You will have to run an entire new 110 volt circuit from one of the existing 110 volt outlets.

• Options
    rickwe818rickwe818 Member Posts: 37

Thanks! Tagurit. I have already discovered that. In time I will tap into the 110 on the galley counter. Going to use a 3ft. extension cord in the mean time. It really is just a matter of cosmetics. I'd like to have the power hidden behind the coffee maker, but the cord will work for now. Thank you for your input. It is always appreciated!