Options

Tongue Box Lock

Has anyone swapped the latch on their tongue box for a keyed lock? What kind of lock will work to replace the latch?

Mike
Chaverim Basenjis
-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
2018 T@G Sofitel
2016 Audi A3 e-tron

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

It seems that it is illegal to lock a box where you store a bottle of propane.

With this said, a gate lock for a shed would do.

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

It is in fact a vioation of DOT regs to operate an RV in the US with a locked propane storage compartment, first responders must be able to easily access the tanks and valves in an accident/emergency. I wanted to have lockable storage so I pulled the stock propane tank and replaced the stock "cabinet" with a real trailer tongue box that locks (we use refillable 1 lb bottles).

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

That’s what I want to do but I’m afraid someone will steal the batter and propane tank

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

LPG situations differs with the size and use of an RV. Being aware of your situation and how it should be handled at the camp site and on the road is paramount. The following link will take you to a site with basic info.
    http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/the-abcs-of-lpg/

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

I am trying ti think how the forst responder are supposed to know that you now only have 1 lbs bottles and no propane in the front trailer box if you are not able to informed then.

It would be possible to lock a propane tanh with a bicycle lock chain or cable. It is also possible to make a braket to lock a battery.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

How about a label: No LPG in box.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options

I think I’ll just not lock the box. My fears are someone trying to steal my propane and battery while my tag is at campsite unattended. I have a lock for the ball mount of the tongue.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

My 2015 TAG has a lock on it, and I use it (fear of theft). So, I'm a crime spree as I drive across the country? Are we sure the law says I can't lock this container? A couple of years ago I tried to find a specific reference for this...I never could. Lots of folks said it was illegal on the forums, but they always said that was they had been told, and could not cite a law or regulation.

2014 T@G

• Options

Well, after a general web search, I have seen many regulation, bit none that mentionned the a propane tank can not be transported or stored in a locked enclosure, as long as this enclosure is well ventilated.

And that is for canadian province or us states.

But they do need to be secured and have the vavle close. And they also mentionne that it is illegal to refill 1 lbs propane tank from a 20 lbs cylinder.

• Options

The disposable 1lb tanks are illegal and dangerous to refill. I’m getting the Manchester refillable 1lb tank. It’s desined to be refilled and has a vent and valve like what’s on a standard 10lb tank

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    edited September 2018

Please don't take this as being argumentative, it's just a clarification, you can chose to recognize it or not. There is a standard that the RV Industry Association follows for RV safety, it is the National Fire Protection Association Standard for RV's, NFPA 1192. Section 5.2.7 is "Securing Propane Cylinder Housings", line 5.2.7.2 states "Hoods or housings covering valves shall not be equipped with locks or require tools for opening." This may or may not be interpreted as a reg by DOT in your state but that's what it says, that's why there isn't a lock on the stock T@G tongue box or any stock RV propane locker I believe you'll find.

• Options

It’s all about good information here. Hence my clarification on why I was looking at locks (someone stealing battery and propane) and the clarification on type of 1lb tank.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Chaverim said:
    The disposable 1lb tanks are illegal and dangerous to refill. I’m getting the Manchester refillable 1lb tank. It’s desined to be refilled and has a vent and valve like what’s on a standard 10lb tank

That's good to know. I didn't know Manchester made refillable 1 lb'ers. I would never personally refill one of the off-the-shelf 1lb grenades.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@tagurit said:
    Please don't take this as being argumentative, it's just a clarification, you can chose to recognize it or not. There is a standard that the RV Industry Association follows for RV safety, it is the National Fire Protection Association Standard for RV's, NFPA 1192. Section 5.2.7 is "Securing Propane Cylinder Housings", line 5.2.7.2 states "Hoods or housings covering valves shall not be equipped with locks or require tools for opening." This may or may not be interpreted as a reg by DOT in your state but that's what it says, that's why there isn't a lock on the stock T@G tongue box or any stock RV propane locker I believe you'll find.

Tagurit, you do not have to apologized for bringing good information in a subject. Arguing with the right information is in my mind, a conversation about facts. And this is how we can base our discussion on what is right or wrong. This info you brought up is great, thank you.

As for securing propane tanks and battery, some other ways are available. And transporting propane in a TV or other type of inclosed space is even more complicated, with open windows and such.

Again, thank you.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited September 2018

Here is some safety verbiage from the following reference that specifically addresses the question of locks on storage compartments (5.2.7.2). This question comes up frequently as theft of equipment does happen and is a concern for many trailer owners.

If a fire occurs in this area you certainly want to be able to easily access the propane tank and since many units also have the battery stored in the propane compartment alongside the propane tank it obviously makes good sense to keep this area easily accessible should a leak/fire occur, etc.

5.2.7 Securing Propane Cylinder Housings.
    5.2.7.1 Doors, hoods, domes, housings (or portions of housings),
    and enclosures required to be removed or opened for replacement
    of cylinders shall incorporate means for clamping
    them in place to prevent them from working loose during transit.
    5.2.7.2 Hoods or housings covering valves shall not be
    equipped with locks or require tools to open
    5.2.8 Fastenings for Propane Cylinders in Compartments. Cylinder
    compartments or carriers shall be provided with holddown
    fastenings complying with 5.2.4 for as many cylinders as
    the carriers or compartments are capable of holding.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    SparrowSparrow Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2018

Added a hasp and a lock to mine.

• Options
    Colorado0712Colorado0712 Member Posts: 9

@tagurit said:
    It is in fact a vioation of DOT regs to operate an RV in the US with a locked propane storage compartment, first responders must be able to easily access the tanks and valves in an accident/emergency. I wanted to have lockable storage so I pulled the stock propane tank and replaced the stock "cabinet" with a real trailer tongue box that locks (we use refillable 1 lb bottles).

Do you happen to have a picture of the inside of your box. I am trying to figure out how to deal with the battery connections.

Thanks,
    Vincent

• Options
    edited March 2019

The power cables exit through a grommet behind the battery and down to the junction box. The cable to the right is to the Zamp connector.

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

@tagurit said:

NFPA is more like OSHA except they make standards for us firefighters. It is however not a law. You could certainly put your bottle in a vented locking box and NFPA cant levee a fine to you. It would be unsafe however were a crew to try to advance a hose toward your burning camper not knowing theres a lpg bottle in a locked box. You most likely open yourself to civil litigation.

I would much rather use a tongue box for storage of other necessities and attach the bottle to the outside of the box in some fashion... and as was mentioned a chain could keep it secure.

• Options

When I moved my propane cylinder and built a box for it I used the original latch. I have since added a simple hasp with a cheesy D-ring to keep it secured. If I wanted, I could put a lock on it but it just doesn't seem to be the safe thing to do. Besides, when I'm camping I turn my tank on and off for cooking. I don't leave it on unless I'm using it. Having a lock on the hasp would be a pain.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

We also turn our propane tank off when not using...more of a nuisance if it was locked...we've left our trailer unattended for hours....nothing missing so far...(knock wood)....

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    larmetlarmet Member Posts: 6

@WilliamA said:
    When I moved my propane cylinder and built a box for it I used the original latch. I have since added a simple hasp with a cheesy D-ring to keep it secured. If I wanted, I could put a lock on it but it just doesn't seem to be the safe thing to do. Besides, when I'm camping I turn my tank on and off for cooking. I don't leave it on unless I'm using it. Having a lock on the hasp would be a pain.

WilliamA

Is this a manufactured propane box or did you fabricate it yourself?

• Options

I made that. I cut up the original (cute, but disfunctional) tongue box and repurposed it...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

WilliamA.. I installed a hasp lock because others here mention the box lid has been known to fly open on the road. Maybe we could find a diamond plate small box for the battery like you built to put in front of our big diamond plated box. I think I got the idea for the 11 lb bottle from you. I used that on the suicide doors for the Avion we had. The NFPA Code is the go to reg for federal government and our local hospitals. Thought I knew that reg inside and out pretty much. But that was in my Hospital Engineering Management and Submarine Base Utilities Mgr. life a long time ago. Appreciate you all.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature