Your experiences with custom orders?

Hey all! We are leaning toward placing a custom order for our T@G Boondock XL through our local dealership. For those of you that did a custom order, were you able to negotiate on price at all? Did you even try or did you you just resign yourself to paying MSRP? Any tips would be appreciated!

Comments

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

If you want to go custom, you might have to try a couple different dealer. Even for what was in stock, price were differents here, up to 1500$ For an T@G Max outback.

• JumperJumper Member Posts: 70

I did a custom order for my 2019 Tag XL Boondock Edge and was able to negotiate the price. The build took about 7 weeks to delivery, it was a long wait but worth it.
    Never pay Sticker on an RV, they have lots of negotiation room built in.
    Would like to see your selection of options.

• MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

I put in my custom order not that long ago. I had to push the dealer I went through some as the price they came back with first was way more than a very similar model on another lot (it had two additional items, no custom paint) and they got the price down, I ended up going with custom paint to increase it even more haha. The dealer that had the on the lot model didn't get me a custom price despite me asking a couple of times, so they didn't get my business. They wanted to sell that lot model, it was a 2019 but still.

I might have been able to try for more, but they are a "no haggle" dealer so I think I probably pushed as much as I could, but didn't pay MSRP for sure!

Mine is looking to be about as 7 week as well, I hope it stays on course since I booked the week right after at a campground.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Geoff_AckerGeoff_Acker Member Posts: 17

I just received my custom 2019 TAG XL but was not able to haggle on the price. I think that was partly because my dealer has terrible customer service and never sent me a price until I had to call several times and force it out of them. By that time the price was it was. Im sure if there was an actual open line of communication between them and us I could have gotten a better price. I had to wait 10 weeks for mine.

2019 T@G XL

@Geoff_Acker said:
    I just received my custom 2019 TAG XL but was not able to haggle on the price. I think that was partly because my dealer has terrible customer service and never sent me a price until I had to call several times and force it out of them. By that time the price was it was. Im sure if there was an actual open line of communication between them and us I could have gotten a better price. I had to wait 10 weeks for mine.

Sounds like they probably had models on their lot they wanted to sell than get a custom order, which they get the money either way honestly.

Each dealer is different for sure. I had to push the one I got mine from as the initial custom price was higher than a model on a lot, despite I was told a custom order is not different pricing than what's on the lot as dealers order what they want to sell.

• Luckgirl913Luckgirl913 Member Posts: 4

Thanks for the info everyone. We’re going to order the Boondock Edge XL in silver w/black trim, solar kit, Light Birch cabinetry, no TV. The paint colors we want are standard. We were told the cabinetry change would add $86 but skipping the TV saves $150. The only option we want that adds to the cost is the solar kit.
    For the lot model, we were quoted $15,681 for the Boondock Edge XL. To order custom We were quoted $17,915. I’m not sure how much the solar package is, but it’s definitly not $2,200.

@Luckgirl913 said:
    Thanks for the info everyone. We’re going to order the Boondock Edge XL in silver w/black trim, solar kit, Light Birch cabinetry, no TV. The paint colors we want are standard. We were told the cabinetry change would add $86 but skipping the TV saves $150. The only option we want that adds to the cost is the solar kit.
    For the lot model, we were quoted $15,681 for the Boondock Edge XL. To order custom We were quoted $17,915. I’m not sure how much the solar package is, but it’s definitly not $2,200.

Just know that if you nix the TV the mounting bracket and cabling go with it.

I have a MSRP price sheet from my dealer, I'd ask for more off. I paid like $80 more than your quote, and mine is a Boondock Edge XL with black sides (costs more), silver hatch/top (no cost), Froli (costs more) and rear galley speakers (costs more), blue Matrix trim (no cost on this) My MSRP is about $1000 more than your MSRP.

My first quote I had was the same price I paid for the unit, minus it didn't have the black sides. There is room to play.

Is the on lot model a 2019 or 2018? The cheapest lot model I saw was $16,200 from a place in NC or SC for a 2019 Boondock Edge XL.

Solar kit is like $718 MSRP btw. If they didn't call nuCamp make them do so, that's what I had to do. They'll quote you off the MSRP sheet and take a % off.

• Luckgirl913Luckgirl913 Member Posts: 4

That solar package price was info I was wondering about. Thanks!! I’m honestly not sure if we were looking at an ‘18 or ‘19 on the lot, but I can find out. I thought it was a 19 but I’m now thinking otherwise.
    Thanks for sharing the TV info as well. In our case, we’re not tv people so we were looking for the added cabinet space which is exactly what you get when you drop the TV.

@Luckgirl913 said:
    That solar package price was info I was wondering about. Thanks!! I’m honestly not sure if we were looking at an ‘18 or ‘19 on the lot, but I can find out. I thought it was a 19 but I’m now thinking otherwise.
    Thanks for sharing the TV info as well. In our case, we’re not tv people so we were looking for the added cabinet space which is exactly what you get when you drop the TV.

The cabinet space is now standard, with of w/o the TElevision, since the 2018 models. No more modification needed. The space is behind the Television door panel.

I also ordered the solar package with mine. I was expecting the "solar ready" port to be installed on the tongue box as was standard in the 18 models that were solar ready. Nucamp has changed their solar package and now installs the solar panel on the roof for you and wires it directly to the battery. It is a very high quality, flexible solar panel that is adhered to the top of the camper. I believe it's also pretty expensive to buy a stand alone panel from Sun Flare. What i really don't like is that Nucamp didn't include any specs/literature about the solar panel. I had to call and email them to get the manufacturer and wattage. Yours should be a 111 watt panel from Sun Flare. The frustrating thing is that Sun Flare doesn't have any specs/literature on that specific panel either so i'm still pretty much in the dark except for the fact that I know it's 111 watts. I also had to do some digging (literally) in my camper to find the solar controller. It is mounted to the backside of the panel in the cabinet behind the tv, not a very accessible location. You also want to buy a Victron smart solar Bluetooth "dongle" so you can actually communicate with the solar panel. Now that I have that installed i can see the readings from the panel but I have no idea what all the numbers mean. So it's been an uphill battle with the panel. Hopefully one day it will pay off. Also, if Nucamp is building your camper custom it will be a 2019 model.

2019 T@G XL

Correction to my previous post: I don't believe you need the bluetooth dongle with the victron solar controller. I believe now that the bluetooth is built in to the controller. Again, there is zero literature sent with this system so it's all a trial and error type of thing. I error'd and wasted $40 on a bluetooth dongle I didn't need. Hopefully I can send that back to amazon.

2019 T@G XL

• tnave863tnave863 Member Posts: 12

Can you give me more information on connecting to the controller? I just got a trailer with the solar option. Have been frustrated wondering if the thing worked. How do you connect? What is the app that you're using?

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

I was able to negotiate with a little wiggle room. Had custom paint and decal removal, as well as the solar package.

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

As for the solar controller, here is what I did to connect:
    Download the VictronConnect app from the app store or Google Play. Get within Bluetooth range and turn on your battery on your camper. Start up the app and you will see it locate your controller. It will ask you to enter a pairing code, which is not accessible, so I just hit enter and entered nothing. It connected first try and gave me the following info:

Eureka!

• Falcon1970Falcon1970 Member Posts: 2

You can always negotiate. If the dealer you are talking to won't negotiate I would find a different dealer. You can probably get the price down to about 80% of the MSRP price. Unfortunately it is not like buying a car with dealerships in every podunk town in the country (unless you have your heart set on a Rolls-Royce). NuCamp dealers are spread pretty thin. And even at that, the salespersons will try to steer you away from a teardrop and into a monster 5th wheel--regardless of the tow vehicle you arrived in. Run away, fast, from such a dealer. Don't even try to negotiate with them.

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

if you want to deal with a really cool dealer with great prices and dudes who are into the lifestyle try Toms Camperland in Mesa, Az

@Falcon1970 said:
    You can always negotiate. If the dealer you are talking to won't negotiate I would find a different dealer. You can probably get the price down to about 80% of the MSRP price. Unfortunately it is not like buying a car with dealerships in every podunk town in the country (unless you have your heart set on a Rolls-Royce). NuCamp dealers are spread pretty thin. And even at that, the salespersons will try to steer you away from a teardrop and into a monster 5th wheel--regardless of the tow vehicle you arrived in. Run away, fast, from such a dealer. Don't even try to negotiate with them.

I really liked that the dealer I went through knew I pretty much had my heart set on the T@G and even said he felt it was a better way to go than a pop up or A-Frame when I questioned about them. Granted I would not have gotten either despite the lower price (the pop up was like half the price). I just didn't want the hassle of something that has to be "put together".

@Martog said:

@Falcon1970 said:

I really liked that the dealer I went through knew I pretty much had my heart set on the T@G and even said he felt it was a better way to go than a pop up or A-Frame when I questioned about them. Granted I would not have gotten either despite the lower price (the pop up was like half the price). I just didn't want the hassle of something that has to be "put together".

Well, they all have a purpose.

Pop up ar great for larger familly. Mthey provide more space for kiddos, yong children can spend rainy cold days imside to play, some even have the toilet and shower and all cooking space and still be better than a ground tent for rainy days.

A frame, have more floor space a sleeping for more people than T@G and can also have a little space for a toilet.

But perso, a real TD like the T@G, to me, a T@B is not in the same category, is what we really like, more confy and way faster set-up than ground or even RTT on a trailer camping.

Just love it.

@LuckyJ said:

Well, they all have a purpose.

Pop up ar great for larger familly. Mthey provide more space for kiddos, yong children can spend rainy cold days imside to play, some even have the toilet and shower and all cooking space and still be better than a ground tent for rainy days.

A frame, have more floor space a sleeping for more people than T@G and can also have a little space for a toilet.

But perso, a real TD like the T@G, to me, a T@B is not in the same category, is what we really like, more confy and way faster set-up than ground or even RTT on a trailer camping.

Just love it.

I'd probably personally stay with a trailer if I had a family due to fast setup and don't have to worry about things like the weather when setting up. I just love the size and fast setup up my T@G