Options

Nissan Rogue

bac2manbac2man Member Posts: 2
edited September 2018 in Trailers & Towing

Fell in love with a T@G , HOWEVER, I have a nissan Rogue with a towing capacity of 1000lbs. Not sure if I should maybe look for a another car first with a better towing capacity first before jumping in . Anybody towing out there with a Rogue? signed soon to be fellow owner.

Comments

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

Even just the T@G 5FT, you are looking at 1,046lbs for the trailer with LP and battery and nothing else inside of it. I'd seriously consider getting a TV with a higher towing capacity. I'd be nervous with the Subaru Crosstrek at 1500lbs rated towing.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Tye nissan Rogue have plenty of weight and engine power to safely tow a T@G. The only real drwback in my mind is the transmission cvt transmission that even if very reliable, could have an issue with towing and weight.

The brakes are bigger and more power full than many TV outthere, engine is plenty power full. And fuel efficiemcy is incredible for a vehicule that size.

I would talk to the Rogue dealer to find out what they really have to say about it.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Dont forget about tongue weight. What is it rated at ?

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

I'd say you're fine. My Audi isn't really rated for towing in the US, but is in Europe for the same model. I can tow just fine with a 1.4L engine. You may want to talk to Nissan, but if you made sure your brakes are ok and that you have enough suspension support, you'd likely be ok.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    bac2manbac2man Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2018

Thanks all, of coarse, think i'm going look for a small cross over type with a tow capcity at least 2500lbs . That should cover all the issures ie towing cap,tongue weight ,etc right?

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited September 2018

I have owned 5 teardrop trailers and towed cross-country with a Monte Carlo. I also ended up replacing the transmission, had it rebuilt, towed again with it and it started acting funny again and I upgraded to a larger SUV and learned my lesson there. You can obviously get any load moving, but the real question is how long can you safely tow with a less than adequate vehicle and obviously there are limitations with the braking system and heavier objects will push a vehicle when stopping and change up the steering/stopping ability on wet surfaces, and during inclement weather conditions. Safety first!

Ask your insurance company if they will insure your vehicle and the trailer if you are pulling a trailer with a border-line or less than sufficient and under-rated tow vehicle. You will find that they will not pay for damages, and that it will void an auto-owners policy. Others have looked into and asked the same question earlier. Just a word to the wise....

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Michigan_Mike , I know this topic came many time before. About the transmission, some people are just asking for trouble and some transmission are juste simole lemon. I do not know what was your monte carlo spec, but I am sure that is was able and rated to tow you TD. Now did you had a trany cooler for it, you did not say. But some trany are juste plain weak. Think about the dodge caravane that are rated to two, but the trany would give up no matter what, towing of not. Same with ford windstars.

As for going for a TV with double the towing capacity, people can go with the fudge factor that they want to feel confortable. But the rules of twice here that many wants to go by, is just personal confort (I am not gonna push it to personal insecurity, but it is often close to that).

For relaibility, this is why somehone should talk to the TV dealer, the ones that are selling the Tv when new.

As for insurrance, the person should talke with them. Personnaly, I have been with the same inssurance company for all my life and my parent before me, and when I call them to informed them that we were bying a 20 000$ (canadian $ and yes, it it what we pay for them here with exchange rate, shipping and taxes) they only asked what I was going to tow it with most of the time. And even if I konw that I was above towing capacity but not by double, they never asked me what the weight of the trailer was, nore the towing capacity of the TVs I was going to use. And i have never heard of none coverage, but for major stupid towing miss happs. Like towing a double the weight trailer for the TV.

As for safety, you know for a fact that trailer brakes and/or preventive driving makes all the difference in the world when towing a trailer and this is where the most mistaked are done, by people who wants to drive like they don't care.

And btw, the real difference in safety for control, is not just the towing cap of a TV vs trailer weight, but the trailer weight vs TV weight. In the news, you will see more accident with large trailer/big TV than any small TV/small trailer.

But the real legal point here, is talk to your inssurance company and dealer. And nope, cause I have talked to my inssurance compagny, does not mean the it will be the same for all, so do not take my word for it, the owners have to talk with he's own inssurrance company.

But I would like to see this kind of topic not be driven by fear, but by good and clear information.

By the way, a manual transmission is way stronger that most automatic. Jsut a tought on reliability. I have been driving for tousands of miles while towing, off roading, deep snow with loaded vehicules, and never had to change or service a manual tranny cause it was worn out by user, but because of a rusted pressure plate bearing on a many thousand mile off raod YJ and oil contaminated clutch plate on a toyota pick-up that had a bad concived rubber gasket plug. And my vehicule always pass the 200 000 miles and more.

Please, keep this constructive and informative.

I am by no means a road cowboy, as a paramedic, I know to well what stupid driving mistakes and the people with the "it never happen t me before" attitude can do.

Luc