AC came flying out!

Hi all, just took my first long trip in my 2018 T@G and had a few quality issues.

First, I was driving down a back road and some deer jumped out in front of me, I SLAMMED on the brakes and was able to miss them. BUT the AC unit came flying out of the wooden area.. Is this not screwed in some how?? Any suggestions on how to securely attach it in there so it doesn't come flying out? I put it back in place and drove down some dirt/gravel roads and when I got to my camp site it had shifted so it was about half way out again!

Second, EVERY SINGLE cabinet handle came off. I really wish they would use loctite on the screws into the cabinet handles. Every other trailer I've had from NuCamp has had the same problem, on the first or second trip most of the cabinet handles just fall out.

Third, the screws holding the sliders in for the Cooler came out of the wood and jammed the slider. Thankfully I was able to get it out far enough that I could slide the cooler out then get to the screws and get them out. But it again was just frustrating.

Comments

• Geoff_AckerGeoff_Acker Member Posts: 17

There should be two screws that screw into bottom of the AC cabinet then screw into the bottom of the AC from underneath. This holds it in place very well. I'm surprised that they were not installed in your camper. I'm also surprised the wood frame around the front of the AC unit allowed the unit to pop out. I believe with mine, you have to remove the front wooden "ring" frame before the AC will come out. I would also make sure the AC is venting properly once the screws are installed since it has shifted around so much. Verify the condensate drip pan is still attached properly as well. Your dealer should have also caught that the AC unit was not completely secured. I'd put a call into both your dealer and Nucamp to let them know your issues. Nucamp will probably mail you the correct screws.

2019 T@G XL

• MichaelMichael Member Posts: 45

Holy crap Batman! Think I'll check my early 2018 5W. I've had the "ring frame" off on mine to put some of that strip foam around it to seal it better just "because". Did not notice any unit alignment issues then.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited October 2018

Wow, that is a lot a loose srews. I have never had the isue with our T@G. But quality isues do happen. i was in the manufacturing bussiness for anough years to know that for a fact.

I have to ask. What kind of driver are you a dirt road and wash board surface? It gets real bouncy in those trailers, even when on black top. So imagine the vibration on washboard.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2018

I've had problems with loose screws too. But a long as I stay in my meds it's tolerable. The trailer is nice and tight though...
    WilliamA =)

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 20

I just had a similar problem w my ac unit (2018 Boondock xl). We’ve been beating around on some rough roads in Wyoming. I noticed the ac unit was sitting cockeyed in the frame.

Once we got home I found 1 of the 2 screws that hold the ac unit had broken, allowing the shift in mounting. On close inspection, the screws are simply driven into the sheet metal of the ac unit. The unit is sitting on 2 quite sturdy feet. I don’t know why Nucamp chose to screw into flimsy flexible sheet metal when there is a better alternative about 2 inches away.

I chose to drill and countersink 2 new holes so I could put some #10 1 1/2” stainless screws into the feet of the ac unit. I hope this will be much sturdier.