Options

Using 50 Amp Shore Power

Going to a campground next weekend that only has 50 Amp power. The only thing I can find in the Trailer Manual in regards to 50 amp is the simple statement "Even though your recreational vehicle is equipped with 30 or 50 amp capabilities, be aware that some campgrounds may offer less than 30-amp service." Are there any concerns about using 50 amp? Is there anything extra I need to do or need to have when using 50 amp? The only thing I'm tracking is the need for a plug adapter for the shore cable that adapts from the 3 prong 30 amp to a 4 prong 50 amp.

Steve
2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge
Huntsville, AL

Comments

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

If it only has 50 amp outlet you’ll need the adapter below. Most campgrounds that advertise 50 amp also have 30 amp and 110 outlets on the pedestal. They advertise the highest capacity. You won’t have any issues using the 50 amp outlet with your T@G.

Suggest you call the campground to confirm what they have on the pedestal.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone-Electrical-Innovative-PowerGrip/dp/B000BUTDCA

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    SteveVSteveV Member Posts: 5

@mgreen2 said:
    If it only has 50 amp outlet you’ll need the adapter below. Most campgrounds that advertise 50 amp also have 30 amp and 110 outlets on the pedestal. They advertise the highest capacity. You won’t have any issues using the 50 amp outlet with your T@G.

Suggest you call the campground to confirm what they have on the pedestal.

Yes, I was thinking the same (that they advertise the highest), but "Only 50 AMP" is all over their website and stated multiple times in the email reservation, so I already called to confirm. They do indeed claim they only have 50 amp. Who would of thought?

Steve
    2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    Huntsville, AL

• Options
    2jgcampers2jgcampers Member Posts: 47

If they have many big rig sites, it makes some sense. You can reduce the amp flow from 50 to 30 with the adapter mentioned above but you can’t bump it up from 30 to 50.

Twojs&Guinness&OD

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

If I remember correctly from when I did the wiring for my electric car charger, the higher amps doesn't mean you can't plug in, just that if you have a short or something that would cause it to draw too much, it won't trip the circuit and could be hazardous. I imagine for this type of thing, you should be fine though. It's like using a lamp at home to plug in to the same 10amp outlet that is on the wall in your house vs the 20amp that are in some more industrial type buildings. Nothing really happens even though technically that lamp could short out and draw the 20amps which the wiring isn't meant to handle and could cause a fire. SOOOO rare, but technically possible. The difference for us is that there are so many fuses along the way from the panel to get to the 12v components. worst case I foresee would be blowing some fuses and potentially the panel in the wall next to the AC.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

50 amps at 110 volts...good grief....but then, some people just want to get away from it all and take it all with them...I've had the misfortune to get slotted next to one of them at a campsite.
    Conversation between my son and I:
    "Hey dad, is that the space shuttle?"
    Me: "Nope.. Shuttles are quieter and get better mileage."
    Something for everyone I guess.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TennTimTennTim Member Posts: 29

You’ll need the adapter, but you’ll be fine. “50 amp” just defines the breaker trip point and the plug type to keep some yahoo easily plugging a high amperage device in a low amp supplying outlet. Think of it like speed on a car. “Can go 100 mph!” but it’ll do 50mph just fine. Or the times you plug a <1amp phone charger into a 15 amp house outlet (with a 20 amp breaker in the panel).

If there’s also a 15 amp outlet in the box (normal house outlet) you could just go with that unless you plan to run the A/C, a heater, a blender, and the microwave all at the same time.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2018

I have abandoned my 30 amp cord in favor of a standard 15 amp, 12 gauge extension cord. Although I have removed both my a/c unit and microwave, I was using both with the 15A household extension cord. For those who want both microwave and a/c AND want to use both simultaneously, you should stick to the 30 amp stock cord. If using only one at a time, then a good, outdoor-rated 12-10 gauge extension cord will work just fine. I also run my electric furnace (800 watts or around 6 amps) on the same cord. You'll need the 30A to 15A adapter. My adapter is a stubby that uses the threaded lock ring. There's a photo of it somewhere on the website. Forgot which thread. My extension cord is 25 feet. If you want a 50 footer, it would be wise to purchase a 10 gauge extension cord rated at 20 amps. I have a 50 foot, 16 gauge extension cord that I use with my generator for battery charging, but seldom use it. Keep in mind that a true 20 amp rated cord (110V) has a different end than a standard 15A cord. However, 15A extension cords with a standard, household plug can be had in 10 gauge. They are commonly available at the big home stores in many varieties.
    The benefits to running a standard household cord are many; longer, smaller, ubiquitous standard plug for plugging into your Uncle's house, generator use etc.
    For those who want to know, the difference between a 10 gauge, 30A cord and a 10 gauge 15A cord is primarily the larger blades on the 30 amp plug. A standard household 15A plug will easily, safely handle up to 15 or 20 amps. Higher than that and you'll want the more robust lug (blade) size of the 30 amp monster cord.
    If you like to keep the temp inside your trailer like a meat locker, you'd probably be better served with the 30A stock cord.
    50 amps....good grief.....
    50 amps of a/c current at 110 volts is like raising electrical inefficiency from foolish up to an art form.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

I am getting a 30A to 15A adapter for mine, mostly so I can charge up the fridge and battery in my garage and that's really it.

The 50A feeds two 110V lines, using an adapter to put it to 30A for the trailer just means it'll only use one of those two 110V lines.

Some people like home away from home for sure!

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

True, 50A service is for the spoiled big dogs who drive the gas guzzling/behemoth motor coaches and need 220V AC to run their ovens, dryers and built in Jacuzzi's! No, I'm not jealous and if I wanted to bring my living room with me on the road I would just stay home! LOL

Most of those guys don't know what camping is and obviously will never see some of the vistas and beauty that our smaller trailers afford us! I've been back into some beautiful areas in the back country and have created lifetime memories as a result of it!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400