Options

storing in garage

Hello, I'll be storing my TAG in a garage over winter. It's a typical attached garage - not too cold or wet but there can be some moisture in the air. It is better to keep all the doors and windows closed, cracked for ventilation or to run the fan sometimes. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited October 2018

If you are storing your trailer in the garage you should crack the roof vent to allow some air flow in and out of the trailer. That way it will still be protected from mice or other critters, allows the trailer to adjust to outside temperature without creating condensation and mold and still allow the trailer to breathe. This is why I like having a rain cover over the roof vent as you can leave the trailer anywhere without having to worry about rain entry and still leave the roof vent open.

I found out the hard way (without consequences luckily!) as I had stayed in a condo down in Florida and had to store the trailer in a storage yard off site as the association didn't allow trailers. I cracked the roof vent some to allow the trailer to breathe, came back a few weeks later to check on the trailer and found that the roof vent cover had been buffeted by strong winds and was standing straight up vertically! If you don't have a garage or cover over the roof vent area and store your trailer outdoors in the elements you should take the precautionary measure of at the very least, typing the handle of the vent cover down somehow and eliminating it from turning in strong winds.

If a trailer is left closed completely and any condensation forms inside this can lead to mold and that closed in musty smell you get when something isn't allowed to be aired out.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Same for fridge. It should not be left fuly closed and lid clamp down.

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

I keep the windows cracked with the screens in place. I don't open the roof vent. Seems sufficient to me.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Windows in first position...I clean out the unplugged norcold....dry thoroughly...leave baking soda in it...close it...don' d forget the damprid in the trailer...luckily I can check on "her" during the winter...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    fish4pafish4pa Member Posts: 2

Thanks everyone for your comments.

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

With keeping the windows in the vented lock position, this is advisable with it being covered outside too right? I do plan to periodically check on it and I'm going to take the battery out and store it in my garage on a tender like I do with my jet ski battery.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"