AC and generator

I have a Honda EU2200i that has a 20 amp receptacle on the side. On the TAG Boondock Edge the electrical plug is 30 amp. I can connect with a 30>20 plug but do I need 30 to 30 to run the AC? Honda does make an EU2200i with a 30 amp receptacle but I don't want to have to buy a new generator.

2019 5' wide Boondock Edge w/ factory solar

Comments

• ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

Your 2200i will plug in fine with an adapter and is powerful enough to run that AC all night. I have the same generator and a 2018 T@G 5w Sofitel. I live in aZ and have used my generator to power the camper with aC in the middle of the day in august for a road trip where my car tire got flat. The generator worked fine to keep the camper cool to nap while the car was getting fixed. Took 5 hours to get all sorted out and get back on the road again. If your car doesn’t have a spare tire BUY ONE plus the little rubber plug kit just in case. I learned that the hard way.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• TonopahTonopah Member Posts: 33

Chaverim: thanks! By the way, I live in New River, AZ. I pick up my teardrop on Tuesday and am taking it on a deer hunt a few days after that.

My vehicle is a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (with a spare tire) with 4.88 gearing and I bought the 5 foot wide Boondock Edge. Hopefully, it will tow fine.

• ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

If you find any busted antlers let me know. I am always on a looking out for them as I am really into my breed and they work as great treats for all my friends’ and my dogs

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Tonopah said:
    My vehicle is a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (with a spare tire) with 4.88 gearing and I bought the 5 foot wide Boondock Edge. Hopefully, it will tow fine.

4.88 and a 5 wide, you will be fine! Unless you run 35 and more, then it could drag a bit. As for the auto tranny, that I do not know, mine is a manual. On 33 and 3.73, can wait to swap on my old YJ beefed up acle on 4.56 to pull tye T@G around. :)

I run 33 in tires and a 3 inch BDS lift. My auto tranny is a 4 spd but I can turn off the 4th gear overdrive with a switch and that leaves the 3 speeds with higher rpm shift points. I pick up the Boondocks Edge tomorrow so I will soon know how it tows.

@Tonopah said:
    I run 33 in tires and a 3 inch BDS lift. My auto tranny is a 4 spd but I can turn off the 4th gear overdrive with a switch and that leaves the 3 speeds with higher rpm shift points. I pick up the Boondocks Edge tomorrow so I will soon know how it tows.

It is technically never recomended to run the overdrive while towing with any vehicule, but 4.88 with 33", and 3 in (same size tire and lift that I run but the gears), you should not have any issues and will love your set-up.

Forgot to ask, do you have a modified spare tire carrier on your jeep? If so. It could be a tight fit for the trailer jack.

In my case, the carrier was modified to carry two military jerry can between the jeep tub and the spare, pushing the spare back, making it impossible to hook up as it was. i later moded the trailer hitch for different reason, but also cause I wanted to be able to fully open the tailgate while the TD was hook to the jeep.

Have fun tomorrow. Pick-up day is always a great day! :)

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

I added a longer receiver on my Wrangler (no modified tire carrier but a 33" spare) and the T@g fits on there just fine. I just can't open my hatch at all with it on there. I have a leveling kit and 3.73 gears. Towing with my Boondock XL I average about 14.5 MPG on a manual transmission. Thanks to the electric brakes, I can stop on a dime, but I notice the weight of the trailer back there on acceleration and as I am rolling along at highway speeds. Eventually I plan on upgrading to a 2.5 lift with 35's and 4.56 gears. Should even things up.

@rich67 said:
    Eventually I plan on upgrading to a 2.5 lift with 35's and 4.56 gears. Should even things up.

Hello @rich67. I do not know what year and with that what engine you have in your wrangler, but by my 1995 4.0l with 5 speed that was running 35 for trails and 33" for road and travel, I can tell you that 35 and 4.56 will not be fun and be to tight. I would strongly recomend that if you plan to go ahead with 35, you go to 4.88.

Even if numbers says that it would be the same, it is not result in even of better.

But do not take my word for it, best would be to try it if you have a buddy with that set-up and pull your TD with it in your area.

I perso always tought that my 33" were a little short when driving at speed w/o my off road/expedition/utility trailer, but when I was pulling the trailer, it was just perfect. 35 w trailer were a drag on windy situation and on hills.

If you have the pentastar, it could be diiferent. I know they are much stronger engine, and way more fuel efficient even if not as torky.

Just food for tought.

But a TD and a wrangler if a very fun set-up that make an adventure very fun! :)

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

I have a 13 JKU with the 3.6 Pentastar and the manual transmission.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

My 2017 JKU is running the 3.6 with 34" tires (LT285/75/17 Cooper AT3) and works fine. I wish I had deeper gears off-road but for road use it works well. I average 20.5 without the trailer and 16.5 mpg with it, depending on the wind.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

Yep, this is the type of chart I was thinking about. So base on a chart like this for the 4.0l. I should have been perfect for 35" with 4.56 and a 5sp manual. But I was not reveing high enough to have fun pulling a trailer and even just going up hills. 33 were much better.

This type of chart calculate rpm vs tire size vs transmission. But other factor come to play when gwtting bigger tire like drag, incrase hight with change aerodynamic a bit. I am not saying don't do it, but more, think about it and if yo can and have the oportunity, try someones elses jeep with the same setting. Cause gears and tires are pretty expensive and not fun to regret, and that is no matter witch way you went.

And it also depend on how often you plan to travel and where you will be traveling. Cause even with the 33 and 3,73 that my LJ is actually runing, that is less than ideal, I still prefer to tow with that wrangler than with my other TV.

Like we all say, it's a jeep thing! :)

As for highway speed, just so you know, the T@G oem tires are speed rated a 55 if memory is correct. With this said, when I made it to florida last august all the way from province of quebec, I was following trafic speed. This again is information that you have to think about.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Sweet chart! Much easier than my tire calculator. According to that chart, I should be at 4.10's. Right now, I'm running 33.8" tires with 3.73 gears which puts me right at the edge of being a slug. I guess it fits well for me because, according to my oldest son, I'm also a slug so it's a good fit. Seriously, the 4.10's are the only thing I miss from the Rubicon edition. I think they were also available on the Willy's Wheeler Edition. I swear I saw on on the lot with 4.10's. I'd love to have the 4.10's but can't justify the cost and don't want to go up to 4.56's. Perhaps if I find a couple of bags of $50's laying in the road, but other than that, no. My son just bought a new JL Wrangler 2 door and it has the 3.45's but it also has the 8 speed transmission with a deeper 1st gear. I drove it a couple of times and am favorably impressed with the tranny, but for me, the 5 speed auto is just fine.
    Father and son mayhem:

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

@williamA

Their was a big variation in gears, tranny, engine and tire between the TJ (LJ) from the last year (2006) and the JK. Probably some more variation with the pentastar when they came in in 2013.

TJ ratio use the be the same as the YJ with were simple. 3,07, 3,55, 3,73 and 4.10. 3,73 was for 4,0 6cyl auto and manual, 3.55 was for just bigger tire, the 225 with track lock, the 3,73 mostly some edition and the LJ with the rear d44 and 4.10 for 2.5 4cyl and rubicon.

Then, came the JK with weird ratios number and larger tires. ;)

And I jave no idea about the JL. Even more puzzeled.

Why am I writing all this anyway. Lol

If you are going to go to 35 inch tires on a TJ, consider 4.88 especially if you drive an automatic. A pentastar might be different but with the I6, you want deeper gears.

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 631

I just purchased and used a Baja (BAi911LP) generator 700/900 Watt from Home Depot ($239), which runs on 1lb or 20lb propane. Runs AC and Nordcold just fine. Also good to top off battery with charger and run projector for movies. I refill my 1lb canisters with no problems (always weight to assure not over or under filled). FYI the Baja is identical to the Ryobi (RYi911LP) generator which Home Depot also sells for $299. The only difference is one has 2 year. verses 3 year warranty. Home Depot Protection plan (2 additional years) costs $35.