Options

Cubic mini wood stove

Has anyone installed a mini wood stove in their T@g or T@b? If so, has it worked out well?

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I would not. I do not know about those stove, but since the space is so tiny, every inch of the f'at surface horizontal surface is flamebale, I would be very unconfortable knowing that a wood stove is running while I sleep. But again, I know nothing about those stove.

I think I would rather use the colman mushrum nafta heater on a built in shelfe or a little buddy heater also a a shelf. Reason why, none of them generate sparks and ashes.

But, for sure, no matter witch you are using, make sure that the co2 detector as a fonctional battery.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

A few of the t@ggers use an electric fireplace...warm and creating ambience...I wouldn't use a real stove...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 632

How about a Handy Heater. You do need 110.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Small space equals carbon monoxide poisoning. I read about a guy who they found dead in a conversion van after he fired up a hibachi, went to sleep and never to awake again.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

@Michigan_Mike said:
    Small space equals carbon monoxide poisoning. I read about a guy who they found dead in a conversion van after he fired up a hibachi, went to sleep and never to awake again.

I do not agree, since this can be prvented. CO detector and venting can prevent that. CO poisioning could also happen inside a huge house if not properly ventilated. I had to get on location because a man in a family house had a headacheand felted nauseated. On location, we saw lot of smoke in the house, fist time they were fireing the woodstove. After questionning, it was obviuous that they were all getting co poisioning. We had to tell them to open all the doors and windows.

About 20 years ago, Central Quebec got a huge ice strom. Since most of that area major power lines where on the grown, it took a up to a month for some house to get poer back. Many CO poisoning situation happen cause people were bring gaz barbecue inside theire house to cook and generate heat. The big problem with bbq, gaz or charcoal or other, is that they do not have cheminey to evacuate the burned gaz. But even with evacuation, more air as to be able to get back in to replace it. If not, them the burned gaz and CO and other will not evacuate.

Just sleeping with 2 persons in a T@G w/o ventilation can be cause for O2 depravation. Even just a small candle can be very lethal. This is why there is a little sticker mentionning that the room should be ventilated for sleeping.

My big worry is fire, for amber when opening the door, from really hot surface being to close from wood, plastic and other synthetic and flamebale material. And on top of that, you have to make a hole in the walls/roof for cheminey.

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

As a general rule of thumb, Mike is spot on. While most anything is possible, you are asking for trouble when you bring combustion into a trailer. Why take that risk?

2014 T@G

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

where on earth would you put a wood stove let alone an electric fireplace in the T@g? I'm with Hellfish on this one...combustion/fire+trailer=nothing good.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

I wouldn’t do it just for the reason you have to cut through the roof or side wall for a stack. Also you need makeup air to replenish the oxygen in the living space which means a vent needs to be open any time a fire is underway. This brings in the cold air in just as you’re trying to warm things up. Doesn’t make sense.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

@Sharon_is_SAM said:

I have one of these and it warmed my T@G right on up super nice

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 632

I have used this in our TaB side tent to warm my toes.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options

@Martog said:

@Sharon_is_SAM said:

I do agree about the fact that electric is the best and safest way to go. But I think he is trying to find a heat source while boondocking w/o a gene.

And I do beleive that the inside trailer wood stove is not the best idea. Btu to go that way, maybe it would have to be from so,e king of heat exchanger with an outside wood stove. But that means transporting wood and the stove and the set-up.

Not practicla at all. Good winter sleeping bags is in my mine the best way to go.

• Options

@LuckyJ said:

@Martog said:

@Sharon_is_SAM said:

I do agree about the fact that electric is the best and safest way to go. But I think he is trying to find a heat source while boondocking w/o a gene.

And I do beleive that the inside trailer wood stove is not the best idea. Btu to go that way, maybe it would have to be from so,e king of heat exchanger with an outside wood stove. But that means transporting wood and the stove and the set-up.

Not practicla at all. Good winter sleeping bags is in my mine the best way to go.

Aren't there also some 12v electric blankets as well that can run off the battery when boondocking?

• Options
    TennTimTennTim Member Posts: 29

@Martog said:
    Aren't there also some 12v electric blankets as well that can run off the battery when boondocking?

Possibly but you always have the fact that heat is a lot of energy. A 50 Amp-hour battery would run a 300W heater for about 2hrs before going dead. Also, to deliver any decent amount of heat at 12V, the conductors/wires need to be huge. So anything available would be low wattage and you would want it as the inner layer of blankets, comforters, and/or a sleeping bag. At that point getting a sleeping bag rated for the temperature would be more fool proof.

Not as versatile as electrical energy, but a bundle of wood has an impressive amount of heat energy compared to a battery.

But the good news is you shouldn’t have to worry about running the fridge and a heater if it’s really cold outside. ;)

I got curious and did the math. If I got it right (always suspect of couchside engineering on an iPad), a 50Ah battery has the same heating potential as 4 ozs of wood. A 1/4 lb. :o

• Options

@TennTim said:

I got curious and did the math. If I got it right (always suspect of couchside engineering on an iPad), a 50Ah battery has the same heating potential as 4 ozs of wood. A 1/4 lb. :o

I totaly agree with the capability of wood as a heating sources. The probleme is how to recuperate that heat in an efficiant matter from a stove.

In order to heat a T@G and be confortable with a fire stove ( and please, let's just talk about the heating and none of the risk here related to small place and ventilation and co poisoning and just plain heating. So the stive would need to be very small, or within a minute, it would be s sauna. Then, since it would be small. The logs used would need to be very small. Them very small piece of wood burn really fast even hard wood. So you would be refelling that wood with very small piece every hour or so. Or you would need to let a very very small amount of air in that stove to comtrole that burn. So incomplete combustion could happen, with all the toxic gas and creozote ( in that english of only french, cause yep, french is my first language) and chemney fire.

And a good fire need at leats 3 piece to keep going. So that is about one tird of a bundle.

Pellet stove could be a better option for this, but again, very slow burning would be required to comtrol the heating and confort i. Such a litgle insulated space.

I just don't think it would be and easy set-up to realize. And then, all the safety around this is again in the picture.

But I have been proven wrong before and it could happen again. :)

• Options
    TennTimTennTim Member Posts: 29

That was more of a comparison to show the limited heating potential of a battery, not the practicality or safety of heating a small camper with combustion. I’m with you guys on that one. ;)

• Options

Honestly I think without shore power I'd find what is necessary sleeping bag and clothing wise to keep warm, I'd rather not risk anything to make it go up in smoke. I wasn't sure about 12V blankets, I've heard of them but didn't know what kind of power they took. While I like the cold, I doubt I'm going to use the T@G out in it. I might consider camping if I had a T@B non-CS so I could stay inside.

• Options

I sleep with zero degree sleeping bags used as a comforter. I have a quilt and nice sheets as the bed basics. I have never been cold. I can’t imagine that a T@G is any colder than an SS.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

I have sleep inside the T@G with sheets in -5F. We had shore power with a space heater, but the heat never reach the corner of the bed under the sheets and down conforter. Everytime we would move a feet or an arm toward the side or area that were not prewarmed and were closed to the walls of foot board, the temps difference would wake me up. And I tend to sllep with my feet against the foot wall. Well, I have to say that that wall, since theire is not heat behind it will stay cold no matter what. That would wake me up in a snap.

This happen cause there is no breathing space between the walls and the matress, so no warm air to warm up those are. A matress 12v heating pad could have help.

But the cold feet board would wake me up in a snap. So yep, nothing beat a winter sleeping in winter for a T@G in my mine. :)

• Options
    StellaMarisStellaMaris Member Posts: 26

@rich67 said:
    where on earth would you put a wood stove let alone an electric fireplace in the T@g? I'm with Hellfish on this one...combustion/fire+trailer=nothing good.

Kim
    "StellaM@ris", 2017 T@G Max XL
    2020 Ford Escape SEL Ecoboost and 2003 Explorer XLT
    Tyke, Buckshot, and Bonnie (the 4-legged children)

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165
  • Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

How is that being vented? Looks kinda like a pellet stove.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

Lol. That is a one person trailer, with an electic fire place in a garage with fully open windows.

I know I do not have that kind of room in my trailer, even when I am just by my self with my dog. :)

But does look cozy! :)

• Options
    edited November 2018

Cokapoo?? heaven. I sleep with my wife. No room for the fire place. :o love it however.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV