Options

Vehicle or trailer mounted brakes?

I am in the process of buying a 2019 T@G boondock which has electronic brakes and trying to decide between trailer mounted or vehicle mounted brake controls, anyone have strong opinions? I'm leaning towards trailer mounted so I can share with family with vehicle with 7 pin connection.

Comments

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

If it is going between TV's and they don't all have brake controllers then an RF mounted trailer would probably be better.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

The major draw back of you, I guess the main user, will not be able to enjoy the TV charging system to maintain tye battery on the TD. That only comes from the 7 pin connection if the charging wire is hook-up.

As dor the brake contoler, no idea how they work when using a trailer mounted unit.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

@bglassel, we have the Prodigy RF brake controller that mounts on our TaB on the frame in front of the tub on the driver’s side. We love it, easy to use, excellent customer service. If you go this route, you don’t need a brake wire as part of your 7 pin. We placed one anyways in case we sold our TV with the hitch intact. Wanted a full 7 pin connection including a charge wire. We wanted to avoid the inside mount of a brake controller. The Prodigy has a handset that you plug into the TV 12v outlet. It is easily used to adjust the brakes. It also comes with an emergency “Boost” brake that is not recommended for use with trailers the weight of the TaB and TaGs.

@Luckyj - not sure what you are referencing regarding the charge wire.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    @bglassel, we have the Prodigy RF brake controller that mounts on our TaB on the frame in front of the tub on the driver’s side. We love it, easy to use, excellent customer service. If you go this route, you don’t need a brake wire as part of your 7 pin. We placed one anyways in case we sold our TV with the hitch intact. Wanted a full 7 pin connection including a charge wire. We wanted to avoid the inside mount of a brake controller. The Prodigy has a handset that you plug into the TV 12v outlet. It is easily used to adjust the brakes. It also comes with an emergency “Boost” brake that is not recommended for use with trailers the weight of the TaB and TaGs.

@Luckyj - not sure what you are referencing regarding the charge wire.

Exactly the same charge wire that you mentionned. But never mind, I tought he wanted to share trailer with familly members who only had 4 pins connectors.

My bad, sorry!

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Oh, I get it.
    🙂

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator