Options

Condensation issue when running space heater

We took our TAG out this weekend for a quick over-night to a local campground. We hadn't had to use a space heater yet this season until this trip. I bought a small 200 watt space heater "MySpace" from Amazon. The heater worked flawlessly when called upon in the middle of the night and had no trouble taking the chill out of the camper. The low outside was 38 and inside I was able to keep it around 62-65. We did however have an issue with condensation along the aluminum frames in the top/roof. I'm familiar with thermal bridging and know that that was the culprit. But i'd like to know if anyone else has had that issue. We only had the roof fan vent cracked a few times then shut it so I'm assuming that we need to keep it cracked throughout the entire night to vent the humidity build up. I know air flow is the key to reduce moisture build-up in the camper but want to know if anyone else has any tips. Condensation was not a huge deal, just had to wipe the area down in the morning. Also, I'd recommend the Lasko "MyHeat" from amazon for anyone looking for a little space heater in their TAG. It fit perfectly on our headboard and provides just the right amount of heat and white noise.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B003XDTWN2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2019 T@G XL

Comments

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

I ran a Handy Heater in mine over night a couple nights and had no issues, but I think that was due to me having the windows in the "venting" locked position where air was articulating around inside of the camper vs having the windows fully closed.

That is a nice little heater, may have to look at that if I ever have someone else on board. I liked the Handy Heater as it plugged directly into the wall outlet and just hung there, and I slept on the other side of the bed.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 632

In the TaB we open the vent and crack a window to prevent condensation overnight. The 2 outlets allow for better air flow.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited November 2018

Yep, like others have mentionned, venting is the last thing you need to do to be confortable!

And just has i fo, if you do not vent enough and camp when freezinf temps, the condensation will freeze in the low corners and around the door frames. I saw it in my own T@G!

Enjoy! :)

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

My trailer is subject to that too. I do a lot of cold-weather camping so I'm really careful about moisture buildup and cycle my furnace constantly in cold weather to prevent moisture and mold. When I'm sleeping in it, I run my furnace and crack the roof vent a half inch or so to keep the moisture from building up. Just a little bit of roof vent seems to solve 99% of the issue. I open my roof vent, turn on the ceiling fan, then crank the vent closed until the fan goes off. Seems to be just the right setting. Like MMike says, don't forget to lock it before heading down the road.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TonopahTonopah Member Posts: 33

I have a Honda EU2200i that I can use for off grid camping. It supposedly will run about 8 hours off a full tank on eco mode (haven't tried it yet). Can it run an electric ceramic heater on low (750 watts) all night? If not, will it run a Lasko My Heater (200 watts) all night?

2019 5' wide Boondock Edge w/ factory solar

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Tonopah said:
    I have a Honda EU2200i that I can use for off grid camping. It supposedly will run about 8 hours off a full tank on eco mode (haven't tried it yet). Can it run an electric ceramic heater on low (750 watts) all night? If not, will it run a Lasko My Heater (200 watts) all night?

Your generator will happily run your 750 watt heater, but probably not in eco mode. It will kick up to a higher rpm. It would certainly run the 200 watt in eco.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TonopahTonopah Member Posts: 33

I ordered a secondary 6 gallon fuel tank for the generator last night. http://www.genxdirect.com/b-e-r-g-s/bergs-i/ipi-bergs-1-extended-run-fuel-system-tank-included-part-hnd1-2000is/. I have an elk hunt coming up the first week of December and the guy with the heated trailer may or may not be coming. Just trying to cover my butt in case I am responsible for my own heat.

2019 5' wide Boondock Edge w/ factory solar

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Another thing that will help with the condensation and heat situation is to run a small fan to keep air moving inside any enclosed space. I believe a small fan such as an O2 fan will help out a lot.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400