Options

Boondock underside storage

Looking for Ideas for storage. I have a 2019 Tag Boondock and I am trying to come up with a way to utilize the space underneath the trailer between the frame rails. The trailer frame is made of 4" steel c-channel. I would like to use this space to store my Jeep Doors (aftermarket, rear half doors) and folding solar panels.
My first idea was to enclose the area with aluminum diamond plate. This aluminum diamond plate primary purpose would be to protect the stowed items. One edge would be hinged allowing it to drop down to access the storage area. Whatever items I have stored in this area would be well secured to the plywood floor of the TAG camper (or they could be secured to the diamond plate)
Has anybody used the area under the camper yet? Any idea or tips on how to design a secure system to both protect the items and make sure they don't come lose?
What are your thoughts on penetrating the cloth water proof barrier they have installed on the bottom of the camper??

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

my concern would be trapping moisture in the storage area up close to the floor.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

Anything is possible, but in my mind the risk/reward equation argues against underside storage. As far as cubic inches of storage I think roof rack options get you more with less risk to the trailer. I have spent a more than a few minutes looking under the T@G and thinking about possibilities and eventually dropped the idea...just didn't see room for much usable, easily accessible, dry/secure storage that I could be sure wouldn't get pulled off by a speed bump somewhere. If you come up with something, please post.

2014 T@G

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited November 2018

Hello @Jason_C

This could be a good idea. But I think it will be very hard to come up with a clean secure area.

One thing is sure, is that dirt always find a way in, specificaly under a vehicule, no matter how well seal it can be, even more if that trap is ment to be open. And c'osed.

So my tought is that unless you come up with a pre manufacturd or built box to the shape you want by let say a fab shop, that you would then find a way to install in that location, you will have a hard time to keep it clean from dirt.

I do not know if you have something on the yakima bars up on top, perso, I would prefer installing a storage box of basket up there.

As for penetrating the black cloth under the trailer floor, no sure what you mean by that. And it is no veneer, but particule board floor.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

There was a post on the T@G Facebook page several months ago from someone who did this. They enclosed and put the diamond plate cover on the rear section under the clamshell and used it to store wheel chucks, crank, hose etc.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited November 2018

I think that's a great idea. As LuckyJ says, there's not much to be done about road chum getting in but it could be minimized. What kind of doors? I.E. Steel, aluminum, tube etc? Length/width/weight? I'll draw something up.

As an alternative, you would certainly be welcome to store your full set of red JK half doors at my house! I'll pick them up for you!

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Jason_CJason_C Member Posts: 4

I liked many of the comments. I wanted the convenience of accessing underside storage from the outside. However, with most plans, sacrifices have to be made. So I am headed in a new direction. I am considering having custom aluminum pans with welded seams fabricated. These pans would then protrude out of the TAG floor. The interior floor would have to be cut away to install and access the pans. Here is a video of something similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5lA3NDP-W4 .Go to 3:40 minute.
    I would also have the fabricator bend/weld flange on top of pans so that the flange would rest on the sheet vinyl covered floor inside the TAG. I would caulk and BOLT the flange to the plywood floor (likely about 16 bolts per pan) to add to the rigidity and structure of trailer that MAY BE LOSS by cutting away the plywood. (I suspect that the plywood floor adds significantly to the TAG's strength).
    These pans would not extend down as far as the spare tire, but they would extend past the channel frame. I am considering making them about 7" deep, which would allow them to extend 3" past the frame. They will still not drop below the axle. The pans would also have angled corners to allow them to glide overany obstructions.
    The modification will also help me to reduce my tongue weight. At this time I have way to much tongue weight. So I need to redistribute some weight reward. Spare tire may get moved to the rear underside, it is currently in the factory installed location. I will likely install AGM battery and relocate to the NEW PAN storage area also. I could then move heavier items from my tongue toolbox to the new storage pans.
    So send me your ideas and critiques. Is this a bad idea? Let me know your thought. What problems am I likely to run into?

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

for sure, the floor board does help with trailer integrety. But just so you do not get disapoited, it is not plywood. It os particul board.

When. Took the dbed support appart to pass along a wire from rear to front for USB charging at the head board, I digged deep enough to further down from the vinyl flooring. I also by mistake burned a 0,25$ size of the under nylon/plastic tarp from under the trailer, and yet again, particul board.

So, nope, no plywood in that location. Sorry.