Options

Possible issue with converter

We have a new 2018 T@G XL Outback which we brought home less than a week ago. I currently have it in the garage going through the various systems before we take it out on our first voyage. I purchased an adaptor for the shore power connector so that we can plug our house 15 amp service (standard outlet) into the trailer to charge the battery and cool the refrigerator. When I plug the shore power in, I hear the converter fan spin up for a second and a beep from the converter. The light comes on the microwave, so I know there is power to the 120 volt system. However, the 12 volt system doesn't seem to be getting power. With the battery switch on, the 12 volt system works and supplies power to lights, outlets, etc., but with the battery switch off, the 12 volt system doesn't seem get power - no lights, 12 volt outlets or refrigerator. I've checked the breakers, and all are in the "on" position. Also, none of the fuses on the 12 volt system appear to be blown. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

I would actually remove and re install all fuses. Sometimes not blown doesn’t mean not bad.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193
    edited December 2018

You’ve probably figured this out by now. The battery switch must be on to get battery power to the T@G.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    JmsJms Member Posts: 50

Thanks mgreen2 for the message. I did just figure out a couple of days ago that the reverse battery polarity 30A fuse was blown even though it did not look blown. Might have just been a bad fuse. But I replaced it and the 12 volt system is now working and the battery is charging. Chaverim's advice led me to solve the problem. Thanks!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

@Jms said:
    Thanks mgreen2 for the message. I did just figure out a couple of days ago that the reverse battery polarity 30A fuse was blown even though it did not look blown. Might have just been a bad fuse. But I replaced it and the 12 volt system is now working and the battery is charging. Chaverim's advice led me to solve the problem. Thanks!

Glad things worked out for you! A good rule of thumb for many of these issues is to start from the power source and work your way out. Many owners are unaware that a fuse is located at the battery and this has come up many times in the past.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

When I'm plugged in, all receptacles work whether the switch to the batteries are on or not. Is this not supposed to be the case?

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636
    edited March 2019

Correct -that is the way it works. When plugged into shorepower, supply defaults to 120v. The 120 v supplied is fed directly to the 20 amp outlets and also through the converter to the 12v outlets and all the 12v wired appliances. The battery cut off switch in the OFF position isolates the battery from the TaG circuits and from the converter. On shorepower with the battery switch turned on, the battery is simply charged and all power is supplied via the shorepower hook up.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator