Options

Tongue weight questions

2»

Comments

• Options
    WilliWilli Member Posts: 22

I know that it might seem light to you but it works for me. Hauled equipment most of my career and currently hold a Class A license. Never had a problem. I don’t like to have the rear of the car loaded down. That makes the front light. But you are making a good point William.

Fort Myers FL.
    2015 T@G Max

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Pam, many others have been able to put the 20 lb propanetank and 2 6 volt batteries in the stock tub area....it's a tight squeeze from what I've seen...best of luck!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    PamPam Member Posts: 16

Thanks! Not sure why I was having trouble finding this:)

• Options
    JmsJms Member Posts: 50

Another battery option (if your wallet is thick) is a single LiFePO4 battery (100 Ah). It is a drop in replacement for your single deep cycle. You can discharge this battery chemistry 80-90% as opposed to the 50% for lead acid. Several companies make them, including one in my home state: https://battlebornbatteries.com.

I don’t have one yet ($1,000 apiece!), but I use a 20Ah LiFePO4 ($250) for my portable HF ham radio setup. They are also a fraction of the weight of lead acid.

• Options

@ontheroad said:
    Pam, many others have been able to put the 20 lb propanetank and 2 6 volt batteries in the stock tub area....it's a tight squeeze from what I've seen...best of luck!

Good to know! On tomorrows agenda is taking some measurements... still considering going down in size on the tank to save weight... would love to fit it all without making a change!

• Options

@Jms said:
    Another battery option (if your wallet is thick) is a single LiFePO4 battery (100 Ah). It is a drop in replacement for your single deep cycle. You can discharge this battery chemistry 80-90% as opposed to the 50% for lead acid. Several companies make them, including one in my home state: https://battlebornbatteries.com.

I don’t have one yet ($1,000 apiece!), but I use a 20Ah LiFePO4 ($250) for my portable HF ham radio setup. They are also a fraction of the weight of lead acid.

Yikes! $1000 for a battery - not me :(

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

I’d add the bike rack because you need it for your bikes and hold off on the other stuff. You have a new battery that will last 2-3 years. If, when it goes bad you can consider the switch to 6vt. The problem with the small lp tanks is running out of fuel and storing extras. I have an lp tank gauge on my 20 lb so I know when it needs to be refilled. I don’t want to run out in the middle of cooking. I also have a 3 burner Campchef stove I bring if we are camping with a group and run it off the 20 lb tank with an extension hose. We use the T@G stove for just the 2 of us. Spend time using your camper for now and worry about changes later.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@mgreen2 said:
    I’d add the bike rack because you need it for your bikes and hold off on the other stuff. You have a new battery that will last 2-3 years. Spend time using your camper for now and worry about changes later

X2! Lots of folks here and elsewhere spend wads of cash getting things that won't ultimately match their needs. The stuff your trailer came with will get you out into the environs in fine shape. Use+assess+add stuff.
    Spend pre-use time on the important stuff you KNOW will be useful. I.E. A good electric brake system and a well-planned and installed charging line from tow vehicle to trailer. The rest will sort itself out.
    As MrGreen2 said, many folks draw off their propane for extra stoves, lights, heaters etc. You will be better served by trying what you have to see how it works first.
    For me, the most important newbie add-ons are as mentioned; brakes and charging line. With those in place, everything else will sort itself out...

Spoken by my friend Richard:
    "Brakes? I'll do those later. I ALMOST never need them". (Squealing tires....screaming....crunch....etc)

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.