Options

2017-18 CRV 1.5T TOW ENGINE ISSUES

This is an FYI to all you folks using Honda CRV 2017-18 1.5 Turbo tow vehicles. Admitted by Honda finally there is an issue with the 1.5 Turbo engine which is called "Oil dilution." Simply put, while going through a rather long warm up cycle, especially in colder climates, gasoline that is sprayed directly into cylinders during warm-up is passing by cylinder rings/walls into the oil at a rate beyond normal tolerances, and actually "diluting" or filling up the oil and not evaporating. The issues will show up if after oil change your oil level begins to rise above the orange mark on dip stick and continues to fill the oil pan with unburned gasoline. Some folks have smelled in the cabin a "gasoline smell." While others have had the engines shut down because the oil level had risen above a safety setting (sensor). This is a design issue with this engine that Honda is trying to remedy with reprograming engine and the louver openings on the oil cooler for the turbo. They are NOT recalling these CRV's but issuing a work order for cars predominantly in the northern states to later include others in mid-latitude states. Please monitor your oil levels and report any rise of oil levels to your dealers. In other words register a complaint and keep doing so! They are suggesting a more frequent oil change as interim remedy. My issue with my 2018 CRV showed up here in Kentucky and not in a very cold climate. The engine takes an overly long time to heat up and thus the unburned gasoline leaks down into the oil pan and dilutes the oil which will not be good for either the high spinning turbo that is intercooled by the oil nor the bearings in the engine, especially if you are towing a trailer which puts strain on the engine itself. I chose to "unload" my CRV before its trade in value declined. I traded for a Ford Edge which also has a turbo engine but with larger overhead for horsepower and especially in the torque values. The Honda engine is rated at 190 horsepower (1.5T) and about 180 ft. pds. of torque. The Ford 2.0T is rated at 245 horsepower and 275 ft. pds. of torque which gives me far more overhead for towing and has proven to be reliable as this is a staple engine for both Edge and also the smaller Escape if so ordered. Also the tow rating for the Honda with the 1 1/4" Honda hitch is 1500 pds, and 150 pds. tongue weight. The Edge is rated at 3500 pds. of tow weight along with 350 pds. of tongue weight.

I might also add, that I towed with my Honda CRV in late summer my TAG a total of 5100 miles at an average of about 18 miles per gallon (the CRV without tow averaging over 30 miles per gallon). At that time I was unaware of this oil dilution issue. With one tow experience of about 600 miles with the Ford Edge to NuCamp and back to Kentucky, I averaged around 19 miles per gallon and when not towing with the Edge I get about 28 miles per gallon highway. My bottom line is the Edge towed much easier and has a traditional auto 6 speed transmission with the 2.0T and the CRV is a 1.5T with CVT transmission. The Honda had to work harder to tow but did an admirable job. But with the oil dilution issue I felt I could not trust the reliability of the engine to tow a trailer and discussed this very thing with the dealer service head. When he found out I was trailing he got quiet and raised his eye brows some without committing to any concern verbally. That told me a lot as we looked at each other in his silence.

So my friends if you have one of the CRV's of the '17-18' years with the 1.5T engine and CVT transmission, WATCH your oil level regularly. Get a base line right after an oil change. Mine showed oil dilution within 400 miles after returning from my trip out west just after an oil change and no further towing. The oil had risen above the "full" oil mark on the dip stick by about 1/2 inch in that short period. Check out You Tube video's on this issue as well as go to consumer reports about their summary. As an aside, I loved my CRV with the Turbo. BUT... FYI

Bill

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I am curious, as to what is consider a long warm up cycle. I know that here, a recomendation of CAA, the equivalent of AAA, a car should not be let to warm up before more that just a few minutes (2-3) before getting on the move (a slow pace to beging with when very cold) this is where the engine really warms up, and to only way to warm up trany and other drive trail oil. Anything longer, can in time could create what is mentionnend by Honda, but I agree, not to that level.

Thank you for the info!

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

@LuckyJ said:
    I am curious, as to what is consider a long warm up cycle. I know that here, a recomendation of CAA, the equivalent of AAA, a car should not be let to warm up before more that just a few minutes (2-3) before getting on the move (a slow pace to beging with when very cold) this is where the engine really warms up, and to only way to warm up trany and other drive trail oil. Anything longer, can in time could create what is mentionnend by Honda, but I agree, not to that level.

Thank you for the info!

More than likely they are referring to the amount of time it takes the engine to warm up, not how long you let the interior warm up before driving off.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

Correct as to length of warm up in motion not warm up of cabin. The car does take a longer than normal time while driving to warm to normal operating temp. It is during this long cycle that gas is passing into the oil pan and not evaporating causing oil dilution issue. Hope this clarifies. Bill

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@BBsGarage said:

@LuckyJ said:

Thank you for the info!

More than likely they are referring to the amount of time it takes the engine to warm up, not how long you let the interior warm up before driving off.

I am aslo refering to engin warm up time. An engine warm up much faster under load, even a small load than ideling on park location. And the quicker the engine warms up, the quicker the cabin warms up, and the rest of the drive train, since neither the oils from other system is warming up on park.