Propane heater for TAG Boondock 5 wide

Is it possible to add a small propane heater to the exterior of the teardrop, with the heat plumbed to the interior? Thermostat controlled? Camping in the snow with no heat is...not much fun.

2019 5' wide Boondock Edge w/ factory solar

Comments

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Tonopah said:
    Is it possible to add a small propane heater to the exterior of the teardrop, with the heat plumbed to the interior? Thermostat controlled? Camping in the snow with no heat is...not much fun.

Been there...done that.. I have looked at propane furnaces extensively. I'll see if I can find some of my old notes and links...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

@Tonopah If you search Propane heater, the threads come up.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• TonopahTonopah Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2019

I found an earlier thread that discussed this heater (WilliamA provided a helpful comment) https://www.propexheatsource.com/teardrop-trailer-heaters/ I live in North Phoenix and it turns out that one of the dealers for this unit is AT Overland Trailer in Prescott. They build overland trailers including (very expensive) teardrops. I have dealt with Overland Trailers before and know those guys so I will contact them and see what they have to say. I'll post back once I obtain add'l information. Cost of the unit plus installation is of course a concern, but so is the idea that even the smallest unit may be significant overkill for such a small trailer.

edited January 2019

That's the one I was thinking of. Glad you found it or I'd have been forced to go through my 1,000 links folder, all cleverly titled: "links". I should organize that into sub-links. That'd help.
    I was looking into the possibility of mounting it under the trailer and routing the plenum into the false wall space behind the cabinets and up. An alternative would be to run the plenum into the headboard cabinet....if you still have one.
    If I recall, the specs were quite strict for running combustion air and exhaust, but were possible without a frame modification. I think there is also a maximum pressure rating for the plenum as well. Not sure or don't remember how the cold air return was handled.
    I ultimately went with forced air electric for cost reasons.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

If I read rapidtables right, then one btu equals .293 watts. My 2 years of research and practical testing indicates that it takes 600-800 watts of heat to "efficiently" heat a T@G. That works out to about 3,000 btu's. The smallest Atwood puts out 12,000 btu's or so. The Propex 2201 (I think that's right) is as close as I've found to a balanced output but it's still gonna be hot/cold due to rapid cycling. It's 1.7A draw is nice though. Lower power consumption than any domestic job. They also look easy to mount, but nobody's giving them away. Cheapest I've seen is around $750 bucks.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

From the AT Overland website: "HS2000 rated at 6483 BTU and the larger HS2800 rated at 9554 BTU output." That's a lot of BTUs and they want $845 for the smaller one.

@Tonopah said:
    From the AT Overland website: "HS2000 rated at 6483 BTU and the larger HS2800 rated at 9554 BTU output." That's a lot of BTUs and they want $845 for the smaller one.

That's a lot of heater, but still less than half the output of an Atwood. In this case, that's a good thing. It also has what looks like a really nice adaptable mounting system. Especially the one that mounts externally. Lots of options.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• JiggityJiggity Member Posts: 7

What about the Olympic catalytic heater? Too many COx concerns?

Propex heater installed

Controls

Well done! There's a problem solved! I'd like to see a photo of the burner venting underneath...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Tonopah said:
    Propex heater installed

Controls

Ok, this is imterresting.

Anyway to see buidup pics, of just a little more pics. And I have to say, that I am very imterrested in how you were able to bring those air line behind the head board at the jonction with the matress board. Not that much room in that lower corner at that jonction.

And also like William as mentionned, what it lookes like under the trailer.

Looks like a nice set-up!

• ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

I’m also curious how much it runs and where you got it done.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

edited January 2019

I am a retired manager / paper pusher. Unlike you guys, I'm lucky if I can remember which end of the screw driver is the business end. I admire your skills. I live in Arizona in North Phoenix (New River). Adventure Trailer is in Prescott (not far away). I had them do it. They are a Propex dealer and use the Propex heater in their own builds. Wrote a check for $2800 for the hardware and the installation. Done right the first time. If I could have done it myself, I would have. But now I have heat in the trailer when I dry camp!

I'll take a picture from under the trailer and post that soon.

• ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

And it’s propane or electric?

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

Propane.

• CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

Excellent job! Add me to the list of more pictures.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

Installation from below:

• BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Maybe its just the angle of the picture, but is that copper gas line kinked where it bends into the unit?

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

I'll crawl under there and take a look.

Thank you for the pics! :)

The copper line does indeed look a little wired. Question, the stainless pipe would be the exhaust ??

Yes -- that is the exhaust.

• MisterbeeMisterbee Member Posts: 23

Sorry to be late to the party, but I am really feeling the need for heat. How long did it take to get the Propex installed?

@LuckyJ said:

@Tonopah said:
    Propex heater installed

Controls

Ok, this is imterresting.

Anyway to see buidup pics, of just a little more pics. And I have to say, that I am very imterrested in how you were able to bring those air line behind the head board at the jonction with the matress board. Not that much room in that lower corner at that jonction.

And also like William as mentionned, what it lookes like under the trailer.

Looks like a nice set-up!

The revival ;) of this post got me to one more question. Could you have installed it in the compartment lower in the picture, so less space would be lost to heat lines? And can you still leave stuff in the space around the furnace or do you have to leave it empty because of heat??

• pln2escpln2esc Member Posts: 4

@Tonapah,

Was this a one off for AT Overland? I don't see any mention of Propex on the website.

@pln2esc said:
    @Tonapah,

Was this a one off for AT Overland? I don't see any mention of Propex on the website.

Yep, look at one of the post from January 21.

• pln2escpln2esc Member Posts: 4

@LuckyJ,

I searched all the words and model, just didn't put in Propex. Found it!!

Will have to see if I can get it scheduled sometime, when not using the TAG.

Martyn and the guys at AT Overland installed it.

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I use a Litty Buddy Heater (F232000 MH9BX) $69.99 using 1lb propane canisters. (I Refill) within 30 mins in the morning, the trailer is at a good temperature. Outside temp 32. With one person in the trailer, it is safe and easy to use. I recomend as an alternative for the few tims it may be needed.

• GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Be dang sure you have the prescribed ventilation for that portable or any propane system. A few hunters from around here are no longer with us.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature