Options

Generator and the Danby air conditioner

rickwe818rickwe818 Member Posts: 37

We bought our Tag used. So, don't have a manufacturing manual. Can anyone tell me if a generator of 1600 running watts would run the air or not? I mean if you're not using the microwave or coffee maker at the same time. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WilliWilli Member Posts: 22

I’m able to run my ac with a 2000 watt inverter generator. Most of the time it handles the load fine but I think it would be better with 2500 watts or so.

Fort Myers FL.
    2015 T@G Max

• Options

I'm thinking when we do finally get a generator it'll be in the 3500 watt range which I know will be more than enough. Thanks! Willi.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@rickwe818 said:
    We bought our Tag used. So, don't have a manufacturing manual. Can anyone tell me if a generator of 1600 running watts would run the air or not? I mean if you're not using the microwave or coffee maker at the same time. Thanks!

The A/C should run on 2,000 watts as others have reported good results with Honda generators of that size. "SOFT-START" is also an option but I don't have any experience with it. I typically load my gennie (Generac 2,200 watt) to about 1,400 watts max with my furnace and charging duties. The furnace doesn't have any start-up surge so that's different than the A/C unit. I ditched my A/C and Microwave and make coffee on propane so the battery charger and furnace are about all I need, but from the threads Ive tead here and elsewhere 2,000 watts should pull A/C.
    Keep in mind that while 3,500 watt gennies are twice the power at half the cost or less, most are industrial and not inverter style. That means loud (they must run at specific rpm for the cycles) and not particularly efficient, fuel-wise. None of those things is a big deal on the jobsite but aren't nearly as user friendly in a campground.
    There are camp-friendly options in the 2-2.4K watt range that are half the price of a Honda or Yamaha. Don't get me wrong, I'd rock a Honda or Yamaha if I could, but couldn't get to that price point on my budget. Good stuff there, but spendy...
    Just some thoughts...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    WilliWilli Member Posts: 22

We bought our 2000 watt inverter at Northern Tool. The engine is a OHV Honda knockoff. It’s incredibly quiet and runs 6-8 hours on a tank of fuel. We camped at a primitive style campground and no generators were allowed after 10:00pm. I fell back on my Army days and dug a hole about a foot and a half deep. Stuck the generator in it and you couldn’t hear it 20 feet away.

Fort Myers FL.
    2015 T@G Max

• Options

Out of site out of mind. Or, in this case out of ear out of mind. Thanks! Willi. Also, thanks to WilliamA. Your post was very helpful.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Willi said:

. I fell back on my Army days and dug a hole about a foot and a half deep. Stuck the generator in it and you couldn’t hear it 20 feet away.

Just don't get carried away and bury it....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

I wish I could do that. here in AZ, the ground isn't dirt it's natures cement (caliche).

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

No heater ac combos will fit in that opening. That would be very handy

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I recently purchased a Baja (BAi911LP) generator from Home Depot ($239), which runs on 1lb or 20lb propane. Runs AC and Nordcold just fine. Also good to top off battery with charger and run projector for movies. I refill my 1lb canisters with no problems (always weight to assure not over or under filled). FYI the Baja is identical to the Ryobi (RYi911LP) generator which Home Depot also sells for $299. The only difference is one has 2 year. verses 3 year warranty. Home Depot Protection plan (2 additional years) costs $35. Attached is a power usage chart if you are interested of the draw from various components. These are measured with a Poniie PN2000 Plug-in Kilowatt Electricity Usage Monitor Electrical Power Consumption Watt Meter Tester w/ Extension Cord (Amazon - $26.99)

The amount of power for the AC is simple math. 120 volts x 4 amps = 480 watts (measured at 455 watts). Next one needs to add the consumption of the switched AC fan (14 watts peak), the Norcold refrigerator (53 watts) and finally the draw of the converter (14-32 watts). 480+14+53+32=579.
    Again keep in mind that the AC actually draws more power as it is on and the compressor is building pressure. This is unlike most electronics which have a startup peak and then drop to a running load.
    The load also fluctuates down as the Norcold cycles down and/or the AC thermostat powers the unit down.
    If my measurements using my Poniie PN2000 Plug-in Kilowatt Electricity Usage Monitor Electrical Power Consumption Watt Meter Tester are accurate, then with everything on and at max power, the trailer draw is in the range of 670 watts.
    Note, I have a 2018 T@G and other models may have some different electronics. Power draw (Amps) on the AC is on the left side. Mine is 4.0A (5,000 Buh)
    As for charging the battery, my charger is automatic and moves from charging mode to trickle maintenance mode. The charging, depending on how far it has been exhausted typically may be in the range of 2-4 hours.
    For me, I will run the generator for the charger, Norcold refrigerator and my projector (watch movies outside - projected on the back of the trailer or a sheet). When the movies are done and I go in, the batter is charged.
    I also use during the day a 100 watt Renogy suitcase setup to maintain the battery throughout the day.