Options

Generator maintenance

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I am getting my systems maintained and ready to head out on the 22nd of Jan for Phoenix and beyond. As it's warm(ish) today, I uncovered the gennie and ran it for half an hour under load, then checked the oil and topped it off with fuel. I run it for 10 minutes or so, then turn the furnace on to load it to around 1K watts, then turn the thermostat off and let it coast at idle/battery charge rate. So far, it's been a good reliable unit. It start after sitting idle with a few pulls. The trick I found is to use the primer and pump a lot of fuel through the carb before trying to start it. It has always started on 4 or 5 pulls which is more than the 1 or 2 in the brochure, but that's after sitting fallow for a couple of months. If I went back out right now and gave it a tug, it'd crank right up. The oil looks fine as I just changed it in Oct. Should be good to go for boondocking on BLM digs for a couple of weeks. Now to get the 5lb propane tank topped off and my personal gear stowed. Can't wait...

Any T@GGERS planning to go to T@BAZONA? Hope to see some folks at Usery State Park outside Phoenix between the 25-30th of Jan. After that, I'm heading south to Tuscon and southeast Az in the general area of Ft Bowie for some exploring...
WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

Haven’t heard of it. I live in PHX

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

@WilliamA , I might have squeaked in if I would have known about it back in May. Signed up on the T@B board a few days ago. Perhaps next year. Still snowing her in CO and this would have been a nice break from winter in the Rockies. Enjoy! Good tour south of Tucson http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/ back in the day at Lear Jet school really enjoyed it.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options

@CampHub said:
    @WilliamA , I might have squeaked in if I would have known about it back in May. Signed up on the T@B board a few days ago. Perhaps next year. Still snowing her in CO and this would have been a nice break from winter in the Rockies. Enjoy! Good tour south of Tucson http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/ back in the day at Lear Jet school really enjoyed it.

Stay on the list. There might still be openings...
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I did my spring generator maintenance yesterday and things look fine. I'm beginning to really appreciate having it along. One of the many nice things about my tongue-mounted location is how much easier it is to start it up there. It was a bit of a pain starting it while sitting on the ground. I can do 90% of my maintenance without taking it off the rack. Spark plug is accessable while mounted up as is the air cleaner and fuel filter. Just need to pull it down to change the oil. I pulled the spark plug and it looks fine. There's just a bit of dust and road chum on it. I should make another cover for it that's just a bit longer. I have more of the same awning fabric so I might sew one up. One of my cheesy cover hold-down snaps broke off so I need to replace that with something a bit more robust.
    As always, there's always something else yet to do....
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.