Options

Propane Buddy Heater in T@G?

BlueTAGBlueTAG Member Posts: 21

I take it from the discussion on this site and internet that it is probably wise not to run my newly purchased Buddy Heater in my T@G at night because of depletion of oxygen. I might just have to use it prior to bedtime to warm the interior and then settle in a warm sleeping bag. Bought it for a trip later this year ( Sept) to Yellowstone. No electric in campgrounds in Yellowstone, so was looking for a way to stay warm. I have a Yamaha generator but they only allow you to run it until 8PM.

Comments

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

I like to use my cold weather mummy sleeping bag. The walls of the T@G provide a lot of protection, and the sleeping bag keeps me cozy in some very cold temps.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

My walls seem to provide no protection and get super cold especially at the bottom. My seals seem to be ok or at least my dealer wouldn’t think anything is wrong with them.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

It might just be me but I could never bring myself to use an "ice shack" heater inside my trailer. The trailer is just to tight for it. I was around those ventless heaters constantly when I lived in France as many folks use them. They were all butane and other then the standard wine hangover, I don't think I suffered for the exposure. That being said, I had some really bad experiences with things like that in the military and it has colored my already neurotic tendencies.
    I also have a winter mummy bag for roughing it but mostly keep it for the truck stop sub-zero layups. It isn't too fun getting in, but gets the job done for a few hours of sleep.
    By a happy accident, when I bought my T@G I outfitted it with 2 oversized thick zip-together sleeping bags I picked up at Fleet Farm. The happy accident part comes from the fact that they are, zipped together, about 6-8 inches wider than the trailer. That means I have to let the sides sort of bunch up against the wall. As it turns out, that seems to work very well to seal the cold bottom corners of my trailer and make it much warmer. I've had no trouble in there at 0-10 degrees. I am going to get a couple of sheets of 3/4 or 1" closed cell foam and cut that to fit the floor under the mattresses. As my dad used to tell me, most cold comes from underneath. The best money soent keeping warm is spent in insulating beneath you. A mountain of blankets won't help if you don't create a barrier from below.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

@Chaverim said:
    My walls seem to provide no protection and get super cold especially at the bottom. My seals seem to be ok or at least my dealer wouldn’t think anything is wrong with them.

This could be a perspective issue. My Pennsylvania camping season usually starts in April, when temps could go as low as the teens. Wall protection to me means it's warmer than I used to be in my tent. I've done teen temps in a tent. Teen temps in the T@G in the same sleeping bag feels much warmer.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    TonopahTonopah Member Posts: 33

I tried a Buddy propane heater in my T@G and the carbon monoxide alarm went off in about 2 minutes. Oh well.

2019 5' wide Boondock Edge w/ factory solar

• Options
    JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

If you are going to use it to heat up the cabin, just make sure you keep the trailer ventilated. They work but you need to have some air flow. Crack a side window and vent the roof. I tested our little buddy out the other week when the temps were in the low 20's at night. It did the job but did have some condensation as was expected.

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I have only used my Little Buddy heater for one February solo trip. Only found the need in the morning. Cracked the windows, lay back dow , ran the heater for about 30-40 minutes and the inside reached a very comfortable level. No problem with carbon monoxide alarm. I would think the process would be more i volved if my wife was with me. I refill my 1lb propane canisters, so fuel cost is nearly nill. Look forward to using heater in my clam screen shelter with walls up. May provide a comfortable place to sit if a fire is not an option.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

If you have a side tent....leave the buddy heater in it and your T@g door open... you'll be cozy...we have a handy heater and 2 different weight (different temp ratings) down duvets....snug in the T@g....sometimes too hot....lol...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    BrentBrent Member Posts: 5

Propex externally mounted heater = perfect.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Brent said:
    Propex externally mounted heater = perfect.

Ok @Brent. 3 post, and 3 plugs for propex. So I think you should begin by introducing your self, and then, show us a T@G or an other TD set-up with a propex.

Lucky j

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited August 2019

I do not use heaters when I camp. I have sleeping bags and blankets that keep the LG toasty. Sometimes it’s too hot. The coldest outside temp has been 30 degrees. Also, I have a Silver Shadow which does not lend itself to having a heater on board and generally never have electrical hookups.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV