Options

Going to the sun Highway Glacier National park Montana

LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Ok guys, I have a question. This is not for this summer, and not until many years, since going across the continent take time that we can not put together yet.

So anyway, I have read that the maximum lenght of a vehicule or vehicule combination must not be more than 21 feet. Are they stiff with that, like do they stop you and mesure if it is not obvious?

The T@G trailer is 163" and my TV is also 163" for a total of 27 feet, but we narrower that the 8', and I have absolutely no issue about driving in tight space with this set-up. I would not even mind down-town NYC in rush hour.

So just curious if anyone as ever did it with their trailer and what was your set-up lenght.

Ine more thing, I still do not know much about the road and if it would lead to incredible camping spot. So maybe no need to tow it up there.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

You might want to post this on the tab group site...jkjenn might have some input...someone over there should answer you...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2019

IIRC there are NO TRAILERS ALLOWED on Going to the Sun Road. The restrictions are strictly enforced and IMO appropriate . There is no camping available anywhere along the restricted part of the road. Camping nearby in West Glacier, Apgar, St. Mary and Many Glacier.

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

no way can you haul a trailer over Logan Pass. Set up camp in West Glacier and enjoy the park with your tow vehicle

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

recommend Apgar and Fish Creek

• Options

Thank you guys for the info. I was worry we could mis out on some awsome campground if we would drive w/o the trailer. Was even wondering if it was worth it to bring a tent just in case.

But, ok, looks like base camp and a nice jeep ride with top down. Even if possible showers from the waterfalls and cold weather do to altitude. Always prefer roof down when sun is up in summer, even I we have to wear a warm jacket, hats and gloves.

We will put it on our list! :)

• Options
    edited March 2019

If you're looking for an awesome campground adventure in Glacier, consider Bowman Lake on the north-west side of the park. About 30 miles of improved dirt to Polebridge. Then about 7 miles of narrow, rough road up to the campground at the end of the lake. Incredibly scenic and quiet even in high season. Generally not recommended for RVs and trailers but I'm always surprised what I see parked up there.
    We generally day-trip from West Glacier.
    Have fun.!

• Options

@rfuss928 said:
    If you're looking for an awesome campground adventure in Glacier, consider Bowman Lake on the north-west side of the park. About 30 miles of improved dirt to Polebridge. Then about 7 miles of narrow, rough road up to the campground at the end of the lake. Incredibly scenic and quiet even in high season. Generally not recommended for RVs and trailers but I'm always surprised what I see parked up there.
    We generally day-trip from West Glacier.
    Have fun.
    Bob

Thank you for the tip.

I am extremely confortable with very rough /trail like dirt roads. The soon upgraded air bag suspension of the T@G and off road prepeard wrangler + more than 20 years off road experience make those spots my prefered ones. B)

• Options

@LuckyJ said:
    I am extremely confortable with very rough /trail like dirt roads. The soon upgraded air bag suspension of the T@G and off road prepeard wrangler + more than 20 years off road experience make those spots my prefered ones. B)

With that background and experience, I think you will find Bowman Lake a real highlight in Glacier. You should have no problem getting a T@G up there. Have fun. Bob

• Options

Again, thank you for the hint!

I have to start a book for incrdible locations that I need to see.

Also in that list, Top of the world Highway Yukon, Labrador highway and so much more! :)