Options

Adding a fold-down table inside

After removing my A/C unit, I made a slide-in box to fill in the cavity and provide more storage space. Since then, I've been contemplating a design for putting a door on that area. I had originally wanted to simply leave it open, but I've been using that space and testing has shown that all the junk I put in there falls out during travel. I uncerimoniously applied a couple strips of duct tape across the opening for my last adventure and that worked fine, but it's hard to find woodgrain duct tape in a color to match. It's time to do something a bit more esoteric.
I started by removing the wood trim piece and cutting a piece of 3/4" oak plywood veneer to exactly fit the inside of the original trim. I purchased some hinges and a piece of trim to work up a door but subsequent experimenting has taken me back to using the original trim and glueing it to the plywood to make a raised panel door. Due to the foibles of finding an exact match set of hinges with the correct offset, I found that I needed to cut about 3/8" off the trim to shorten up the door enough so when it swings down it will miss the bottom of the television. No worries. I carefully cut the bottom section of trim off of the original face-frame and then cut the vertical sections of the trim off 3/8", then put it all back together. Here's how far I've gotten:

You'll notice I have the bottom section of trim removed. I need to take a wood chisel and make some surgical carving to make hinge pockets in the back of the trim. In addition, I need to radius the bottom of the trim to clear the panel as it lowers. I'll do that this morning.

Here's the door mounted and swung down to make a sort of table:

I picked up a couple of 40 lb fishing stringers to hold the door when it's in the down position. The hinges are spring-closed so I won't necessarily need to put some sort of closer on them, but I will probably add a magnetic closer when it's all done.

I'll keep you in the loop as it progresses....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2019

I got my carving all done and did a full test-fit. I broke one small piece so I'm making another but while waiting for that have also glued all of the face frame together. That'll have to sit overnight and then get a good sanding and filling where it needs it. Work to do, but yet to do, but not today...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Looks great @WilliamA ... what's to the left of your old a/c area...where the radio is...looks like a built-in?

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@WilliamA said:
    After removing my A/C unit, I made a slide-in box to fill in the cavity and provide more storage space. Since then, I've been contemplating a design for putting a door on that area. I had originally wanted to simply leave it open, but I've been using that space and testing has shown that all the junk I put in there falls out during travel. I uncerimoniously applied a couple strips of duct tape across the opening for my last adventure and that worked fine, but it's hard to find woodgrain duct tape in a color to match. It's time to do something a bit more esoteric.
    I started by removing the wood trim piece and cutting a piece of 3/4" oak plywood veneer to exactly fit the inside of the original trim. I purchased some hinges and a piece of trim to work up a door but subsequent experimenting has taken me back to using the original trim and glueing it to the plywood to make a raised panel door. Due to the foibles of finding an exact match set of hinges with the correct offset, I found that I needed to cut about 3/8" off the trim to shorten up the door enough so when it swings down it will miss the bottom of the television. No worries. I carefully cut the bottom section of trim off of the original face-frame and then cut the vertical sections of the trim off 3/8", then put it all back together. Here's how far I've gotten:

You'll notice I have the bottom section of trim removed. I need to take a wood chisel and make some surgical carving to make hinge pockets in the back of the trim. In addition, I need to radius the bottom of the trim to clear the panel as it lowers. I'll do that this morning.

Here's the door mounted and swung down to make a sort of table:

I picked up a couple of 40 lb fishing stringers to hold the door when it's in the down position. The hinges are spring-closed so I won't necessarily need to put some sort of closer on them, but I will probably add a magnetic closer when it's all done.

I'll keep you in the loop as it progresses....

WilliamA

Ok, now now, what is wrong with the left side cuboard left handle. The one we barely see behind the TV, it looks crooked. I do not remember this in any of your modification post! Hummmm. Need info, need info quickly! Lol

Nice work btw! Always just can wait for temp to come up, loose a bit more snow and start making mods of my own. :)

• Options

Ok, my bad, the right side coupboard left handle.

I am not able to edit my post anymore. Geee!

Was theire an update that make some browser not as efficient lately??

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

There may have been a update. They updated the TaB URL.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options

I've been wondering about the T@B website. I've not been able to get on using my link.

LuckyJ,
    Good catch. I removed one of the doorhandles so I could take it to the hardware store and try to match it. I sort of stuck it back on but will fasten it down before any road hi-jinks ensue.

ontheroad said:
    "what's to the left of your old a/c area...where the radio is...looks like a built-in?"

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I built some custom cabinets that bring the radio and etc out further so they are not as hard to reach. I love-em. I also replaced the Jensen radio with an Android head-unit. So far so good on that too. You can find the write-up here:
    http://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/429/an-interesting-radio-upgrade-perhaps/p1

Now that the glue is dry I set to work putting things all back together again, for the first time. (reference to a "Dead Can Dance" song that I like)
    I'm happy with the fit and design as it does what I wanted it to do, but am not too excited about the fit and finish. To be fair to myself, the tools I'm working with are pretty rudimentary for fine woodworking. On the other hand, It's clear now that I should have started from scratch on the face-frame and not try to use the old one. I might still go in that direction but will go with this one for now.
    I'll pull the door off and do a bunch of sanding to try and smooth things out a bit. I also need to add a small vinyl sweep to the bottom just to tidy it up a bit. I have been thinking about using an Aniline dye in lieu of stain just to add a bit of color in there, but I'll first get it all sanded and prepped, then maybe do a bit of swatch-tests to see how it might look. I'm not very good at doing color matching. Just don't have the eye for that sort of thing.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I got my sanding and stain finished, then put things back together....for now...
    A bit of adjustment and I need to drill and add the door pull, but it's in there and ready to use...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options