Options

Switching propane bottle to 5Lb (instead of OEM 20lb)

Has anyone had experience with switching out the OEM 20Lb propane bottle to a 5Lb bottle? I've noted that in the last year of use with probably 20 weeks on the road... I've just needed one refill. It makes me wonder, for the sake of room and maybe a little weight... if the smaller one would make more sense and free up an already tight spot for some other things. The prices seem to run from$50 to well over a $100... the higher side makes me less inclined??

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 43

Switching to a 5# bottle was one of the first changes made to our T@B. The 20# did not fit the tongue box we added. We are on the road about 60 days a year and refill about once a season. We use the stove a lot and the furnace occasionally on cool mornings.
    BTW - Some 10# bottles have about the same foot print as a 5#, just taller. Any tank, other than the very common 20#, will seem pricey in comparison.

Have fun!
    Bob

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I will be going with a 5 lbs tgis spring. I already have it on hand. I did kind of left the 20 lbs we got from the get go, wondering how long I would get out of it. Well, it is still on the original refil from purchase in the spring of 2017. And was also used for something esle when at a party, I had to look for an other propane cylinder for a large crab pot.

So yep, a 5lbs will go in. They are a little more pricy, bit are worth the money to recertefy when needed. So in all, do not see this as a lost, but long term investment that can always be used fo ous party emergencies.

I also use propane for oxy/propane torch. So a win here also.

• Options
    MccrusnMccrusn Member Posts: 26
  • Options

Thanks RFuss... and great pic!

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@rfuss928 said:
    Switching to a 5# bottle was one of the first changes made to our T@B. The 20# did not fit the tongue box we added. We are on the road about 60 days a year and refill about once a season. We use the stove a lot and the furnace occasionally on cool mornings.
    BTW - Some 10# bottles have about the same foot print as a 5#, just taller. Any tank, other than the very common 20#, will seem pricey in comparison.

Have fun!
    Bob

How do you like that tank gauge? What's your opinion on accuracy? I've heard and read many different opinions on that, but I'd love to have one. Beats the "pull tank and juggle/slosh" technique I use now...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@WilliamA
    Well........... The big misunderstanding is thinking these gauges are indicating fuel level. Basically they are gas/no gas indicators.
    If there is still any liquid fuel in the tank the (vapor) pressure will be somewhere in the green depending on temperature and totally independent of fuel level. Once the liquid has all vaporized the pressure will quickly drop through the yellow and into the red zone. Think of it like only having FULL and RESERVE on you car's fuel gauge.
    Do I like it? Well it does confirm I have fuel pressure (or not). I does not provide much warning before empty.
    Is it accurate? You need to have a basic understanding of gas laws for the indication to be meaningful. It does not have any numerical scale.

It does beat the "pull tank and juggle/slosh" technique to confirm EMPTY but is no use for fuel level.

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

^^^ In the "pull tank and juggle/slosh" camp, sometimes throw it on a scale.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

@Mccrusn said:
    Has anyone had experience with switching out the OEM 20Lb propane bottle to a 5Lb bottle? I've noted that in the last year of use with probably 20 weeks on the road... I've just needed one refill. It makes me wonder, for the sake of room and maybe a little weight... if the smaller one would make more sense and free up an already tight spot for some other things. The prices seem to run from$50 to well over a $100... the higher side makes me less inclined??

Have you looked at the 10# bottles? They are handy, easy to handle and come in handy for things like portable campfires, etc. Linda and I met some friends over in California at a spa close to the Salton Sea and my buddy brought out his portable campfire unit which was very nice, provided heat and atmosphere. That’s a consideration and if you saw the setup you’d enjoy it. I would think about it as you might need that propane sometime in the future. But agree, space is limited and at a premium.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

I'm going to look at both the 10lb and 5lb bottles. Is there anywhere you can just walk in and buy them? The only ones I have found are "on-line".

• Options

Michigan Mike .... the funny thing is I'm still going to be carrying the 20lb bottle (in the truck) for that portable fireplace we just bought :-) The same thing happened to us when in AZ. It was chilly and some friends brought out theirs. We became believers... and added it to our list of must have things for winter trips. Are we going to see you at Winklepleck this summer?

• Options

Here is a pic of my 5# and 10# together. The fiberglass 10# tank is translucent which allows you to see the liquid level.

My local farm supply and the RV dealer both have several size LPG tanks in stock.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

To my knowledge, the fiberglass bottle, even of really really nice, are very expensive et a little more tricky to resertify and even have a past du date. But I might be wrong on that last one.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I don't know diddly about tank certification for FG tanks but I know a lot about fiberglass. I'll just say that I'm more comfy with my steel tank.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.