Anyone gone from a T@B to a T@G?

I'm considering selling my beloved 06 T@B and buying a used T@G. I am more and more of a solo camper and I think the T@G would be lighter and easier to handle. Just interested in anyone's thoughts if they've gone from a T@B to a T@G. I know a lot of others have made the switch from a T@G to a T@B.

'06 T@B, '13 Subaru Outback, '12 Golf TDI

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

I haven’t seen this progression as normally it’s the other way around. I started out with a Little Guy 4-wide, went to the 5-wide, bought a new Silver Shadow, on to a 320 T@B and now have a 2018 T@B 400.

Don’t get me wrong here, I loved every trailer I possessed and their are advantages to having a smaller trailer as you can get them into spots the big boys cannot get into. I love the smaller teardrops, but having a wife changed things up too and her back issues made it necessary to move up to a larger unit. No regrets and it’s nice having a heated trailer and sitting inside sipping coffee on a cold morning and watching others doing their best to stay warm in tents and units without heat. Their are advantages to both.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

There have been a few T@bber's that have downsized...but mostly because of our beautiful kitchens and bigger bed!.... and did we forget to mention 2 doors...no crawling over someone in the middle of the night...or to get the coffee started🙂

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Good point about the two doors, I don't even notice when my GF get up at night.

Other good point about tye two doors, the are easy to get to the door paddle, so we often open the two doors or one, when we get up to enjoy the morning fresh air, while we we lay in bed for a little while.

In my GF's mind, this is the best size trailer we will ever have. In my case, if we ever sell the T@G, it will be for an other similar size TD (not a walk in) or to get into a van.

But this is us.

Hmmm, I remember them two doors well and putting clothes on laying down. Lol

But I no longer need a flashlight to look for the restroom or tree in the dead cold of darkness at 3AM and can make my coffee, sip it and watch the raindrops puddling up outside now without getting wet!

Don’t get me wrong here, I loved the smaller teardrops and versatility therein but also had to make changes as my wife has two back fusions.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 132

@Michigan_Mike said:
    But I no longer need a flashlight to look for the restroom or tree in the dead cold of darkness at 3AM and can make my coffee, sip it and watch the raindrops puddling up outside now without getting wet!
    Don’t get me wrong here, I loved the smaller teardrops and versatility therein but also had to make changes as my wife has two back fusions.

I hear you loud and clear. T@G until I retire. T@B after I retire.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

edited April 2019

@Michigan_Mike said:

I have never change laying down on my back. I change setting on the matress with door open. Long shirt, beach around the waist, etc. Are all trick that can be use.

I will even change beside my car or on a mountain top with below freezing weather. Not that much different than from going swiming at a public pool on at the beach.

And to me, my comparaison base line is still tent camping. :)

But I do understand that some people need confort. I few people I know, with wife that will only go camping if all tye home confort is following. So that means 5 wheel camper with side extension or nothing.

• BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Two reasons we have the 10x10 tent, a place for the dogs to sleep, not in the trailer, and getting changed. everything else we use it for is just gravy on the potato's. =)

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

I agree, the side tents do add convenience, added storage space and privacy. Does this mean there is a slide out in your future William? Lol

And Luc, I agree! Most of the time I get up before the birds and was able to sit in the doorway of my former teardrop trailers and slip on my pants or shorts and was never seen. I also have to chuckle when I see some of the things people bring along when camping and traveling. I prefer to take less with me, but my wife wants to pack in more than the available space I have in my truck and it is like putting a puzzle together when we break camp and are packing things back in. I have found as most of you have that it does get better after a few days on the road and you maximize and are able to put things back in the best possible space available. The inside of the trailer is her domain and she has it down pat and knows where everything goes and how to pack it all in without having items break while traveling.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 132

Subaru Tetris is an artform I have mastered. I know exactly where everything goes in my tow vehicle and what has to ride inside the T@G when we travel...for a number of different configurations.

Also...I use EZ ups rather than a side tent. I have no problem throwing a jacket over my lap and changing clothes outside. Anybody spying on me deserves what they get. Nobody wants to gawk at the fat belly of a 50-something woman in tye-dye.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

Mike, I can only agree.

One way or the other, it all come back to what we need and how we want to do things. As for space, it is always a xhallenge for us to. Going from the principle that when you have less, you take less and the more space you have, the more someone wants to bring. And with a two door wrangler even a ling one TJ unlimited, space is at a premium, specially since we bring the dog and like to travel top less.

We have 2 frige, the norcold in the trailer and an ARB in the wrangler. And GF want to take both everytime, like we would be away from grocery stores for weeks at a time. Perso, it would be the ARB and that's it, unless we plan to be in nowhere for a week. And bags and clothe is the same.

When we did our trip to orlando last august, she perchased new bottle of shampoo ans soap and everything else to make sure she would not ran out, but since her daughter was with us, she got everything time 2. But we where at walmart wvery other day for other items. Some time, i can only watch and let go. B)

Lol!!!! That’s pretty funny Luc as it brought me back to the first trip out with Linda. She had two large suitcases jammed with clothing, plus a makeup bag with things ladies don’t leave home without. The look on her face was priceless and I told her, no way can you pack all that in the car! Where will I be able to put my stuff? We are only going for two weeks!!! Lol And so it began! :)

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

One would think that I learned to pack and plan in the Army for 20 years, but they tend to bring everything. ("Hand me that case of explosives and canned eggs") In reality though, I was taught efficiency by the airline while traveling abroad. It's surprising how much stuff you decide you don't need at $100 per 30#. I traveled for months at a time in Europe with everything I needed in one suitcase and one carry on. Now when I leave for an adventure, I take my camera bag (carry on) and my 38 liter backpack. I fill my fridge and have a microwave-sized drawer for dry goods. In the Jeep, I have my toolbox and 2 emergency sleeping bags. That's it. I figure if I need more than that, I'm going for the wrong reason...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• PerpetualTravelerPerpetualTraveler Member Posts: 5

Whoa! Lots of great comments. Thank you! Oddly enough we don't have space issues with our Subie Outback towing our T@B. We never fill the back. Plus we have 2 dogs. Still, we're usually going for a weekend and have mostly everything in the camper :)

'06 T@B, '13 Subaru Outback, '12 Golf TDI

• BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

We went from an old class c to a T@G and wouldnt have it any other way!!
    When we took a serious look at our "camping style" we found that we were outside the camper for everything other than sleeping (excepting for the cat-nap around the fire now and again). Plus we found ourselves taking two vehicles because our C wasnt able to tow. So since we are to old and cranky for sleeping in tents the T@G is the perfect solution for us.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• sharpersharper Member Posts: 9

I'm planning on selling my 2018 T@B 320s Boondock and then downsizing to a T@G in 2020. As a solo camper I actually find the T@B very large. By downsizing I can then fit the T@G in my garage. As its lighter, towing will be less gas. Easier to move by hand myself. I find I camp outside, and barely spend any time inside, even when its raining - that's what an awning is for. Also thought I'd just get a porta-potty, and maybe a small pop-up tent to use via the second door. I'm also short (5'4) so smaller interior wont bother me much. I have tented before in very small tents, the T@G would still be luxury.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 631

I have always just had a T@G and find it 100% adequate with one person. With two people it can be somewhat cramped. -
    I have a small 6x6 Clam pop up screen shelter with sides that I can put up all the way around. I went with the 6x6 because of the size when folded. Fits fine in my Rav4. The Clam shelters really can be set up and taken down by one person in about one minute. Advantage and disadvantage of the Clam shelter is that it does not have a floor. I have a 6x9 thin indoor/outdoor carpet for the times I think it would add value. Normally not needed. -
    The T@G is somewhat easy to move with one person on a hard surface. Can be a little difficult when on soft soil or sand. As a solo camper I think the move would not be regretted.

• daveandcorlenedaveandcorlene Member Posts: 74
    edited July 2020

Corlene and I decided to also downsize. We just sold our 2015 TAB Outback and will take delivery of a 2021 TAG XL Boondock next month. We recently visited a 2020 TAG XL and found entering and exiting the camper with its 2 doors slighter easier than getting out of bed from our TAB. We usually camp where there is at least a pit toilet and we actually like taking bucket baths in the oversized Lightspeed bath tent. We love the idea of having a rear galley kitchen. We are going to do without some very nice conveniences; however, we feel like we will be getting even closer enjoying the outdoors while sleeping very comfortably.

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State