Options

ANOTHER TONGUE BOX MOD WITH SOLAR

Just thought I would post another tongue box mod BUT with a 50 watt Renogy solar panel kit on top of aluminum tongue box. Primary purpose was to take load off of car charging system while in motion and have the panel charge the battery and also be available for dry camping. With some effort over the last month I mounted the Pit Posse tongue box from Amazon ($174) in place of the original "Blue Tub" to provide a structure and ability to lock or tilt or even remove the panel to a more desired placement to catch some rays, so to speak, and keep my deep cycle RV battery up to charge and carry the main load of the Norcold. I did add some structural elements (aluminum flat bar) while bolting box to tongue and relocated the battery disconnect to back of new tongue box, removed zamp from old tub an placed on side of new aluminum tongue box, built aluminum "L" battery tray, and relocated propane to front of tongue box including a 5 pd propane tank and mounting bracket. When adding solar panel to top I turned panel sideways and created with again aluminum "L" stock a tilting mount for panel so if left on tongue box while in motion could be secured flat or while camped tilted forward or even removed for a more appropriate location to catch the rays.

I did find when testing charging capacity of panel in flat position that the supplied Renogy controller was better suited in its profile for charging the AGM battery rather than a wet RV Deep Cycle battery. So I swapped the Renogy controller for a cheap XCSource 10 amp controller from Amazon. It seems to do the job when correctly set and battery keeps up and more with the amp per hours that the Norcold takes to maintain 35 degrees. I ran it during the solar day here in KY and I think it will do what is required while traveling. I also added a single poll switch in line with sola Later I will replace the RV/Marine Deep cycle #24 for a 100 amp AGM. I have made the battery tray capable of accepting this size battery. It will also add to tongue weight.

Speaking of tongue weight, I measured at hitch height and at the hitch location the tongue weight with tongue box fully loaded with standard battery, all my connecting cables and hoses, along with the necessary junk one needs for camping hookups and it measured right at 180 pounds hitch weight with Jack-It. Add the bike on rack and I will be around 200 pounds on hitch weight. Not bad with the mods. The small propane tank can be a lot of the savings, I am sure. So, here are a few pics of what I have done. Enjoy.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

A lot of work went into this.

Nice job!

• Options
    JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

Nice work! I’m not a big fan of the round tub either. Not an efficient use of space IMO.

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

Clean. Well done @willbingham1

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

I have a box like this only much wider. Was looking for a way to mount my 11 lb propane outside. Looks good

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

I’d like to replace the small diamond plated tongue box with something larger. I’d like it fully enclosed. Did you just cut the proper size holes for your cables?

• Options

@csonni said:
    I’d like to replace the small diamond plated tongue box with something larger. I’d like it fully enclosed. Did you just cut the proper size holes for your cables?

Juat remember that the propane can not be inside and enclose box and a locked box.

• Options

@GigHarborTom said:
    I have a box like this only much wider. Was looking for a way to mount my 11 lb propane outside. Looks good

This is an other way to mount the propane tank. This is a 5lb, but thinking of replacing it with a 10 lbs I got for the price of a new valve.

@LuckyJ said:
    Propane cylinder size mod and relocation.

So, I wanted to go from our oem 20 lbs propane cylinder that was still on its original fill fro when the trailer was purchased new in the spring of 2017 (note that the propane cylinder was also used at the cabin on 2 occasion to heat up and cook a large crabe pot within that periode and is still probably 1/4 full) and replace it with a 5 pounder. I also wanted to relocate it, the same way I did with my spare tire, so on the side of the trailer, the left side this time. This as allowed me to place a piece of sheet metal to the bake of the oem aluminium front box to store stuff w/o losing any, and also install a lock on the box. The sylinder is also more accessible near the galley, and with an protective bag that open from the top (also open at the bottom so that propane would leak if needed), make it easy, quick and convenient to turn on and off. Sorry, no in process pics, I was planing to, tough about it, but forgot to get the camera before it was installed.

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

Thats a git-r-done setup right there !

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
    edited February 2021

@LuckyJ said:

@csonni said:

Juat remember that the propane can not be inside and enclose box and a locked box.

If I'm not mistaken, the 2021 T@Gs have an upgraded box which is larger and enclosed. There's no opening in the back of it.

• Options

@csonni said:

@LuckyJ said:

@csonni said:

If I'm not mistaken, the 2021 T@Gs have an upgraded box which is larger and enclosed. There's no opening in the back of it.

I do not know that, possible, butnot sure this would be legal. So if propane is in there it woukd have to be some king of venting at tge botrom.

More info from 2021 owners woukd be welcome. 😊

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 206

There is a ventilation area in the center floor of the new box.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options

@zgfiredude said:
    There is a ventilation area in the center floor of the new box.

Make scense! Thank you for the info! 😎