Options

Fantastic Vent Manuel Lift Knob & Noise Issue

memphiahnmemphiahn Member Posts: 39
edited April 2019 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

Dear all,

I just made my first camping out last week that was really good. I found two issues asking your help.
1. I found my vent lift knob not working after trying to forcefully twist to lower the cover. It doesn’t lift or lower the vent cover any more. Is it an easy fix to replace the knob part? I couldn’t find any discussion related to this. It doesn’t look a complicated issue, though.
2. I have another a bit annoying noise issue especially at night coming from the fusebox area. It seems the lousy fan noise is related to cooling efforts for the refrigerator. Is shutting off the refrigerator the only way to silence the noise? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Memphi@hn

Edited for picture size - please remember to resize your photos. Sharon

Comments

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

The noise is the cooling fan for the converter, any time it senses a marked increase in DC current draw the fan will come on to keep the converter from overheating. Switching off the fridge at night will reduce the number of times that happens or you can leave the fridge on and disconnect from shore power overnight and plug back in in the morning, that's what we do unless we need to run the A/C, but then you can't hear the converter fan anyway.

Is the knob stripped or frozen?

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

if you are plugged into shore power turn off the battery switch, the fan noise will not happen and you don't need to charge the battery beyond a certain point

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@beaky said:
    if you are plugged into shore power turn off the battery switch, the fan noise will not happen and you don't need to charge the battery beyond a certain point

Eh, if he turn the batteriy off, I think that the fan will run steadily, since it need to transform ac into dc to run the fridge.

I would suggest to pull the plug from the shore power and run only on dc for the night. So the converter will not run.

As for the fan cover control nub. It is only a small screw in the center of the knob. Pull it down, you will see if it is broken.

This knob does not need strenght to make it work. What probably happen is that the lock was in the lock position, so the cover coulb not come down. You would simply have turn the lock knob some, and the cover would have come down.

Many of the thing that move in an RV are smal light lever and things. If you putt to much strengh on them w/o knowing what is happening, they might brake. They should work in an easily manner, if not, then step down, and analyse what is catching.

Have fun outhere! :)

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

I agree with LuckyJ. Disconnect the shore power at bed time. No converter fan noise. The batteries or battery should support you through the night. Fire it back up in the morning.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Thank you all! In my next camping (May), I will definitely try to disconnect the shore power at bed time and will report you.

Re vent knob issue, I think the thread was crushed. I ordered a knob part and will try to replace it. I hope that is not that cumbersome job.

Thank you all again!!

• Options

Disconneting the shore power idea worked perfectly! Thank y’all!

And I was glad I could fix something by myself:) The vent knob replacement was found at https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-K1140-09-Manual-Lift-Knob/dp/B00S4YBA4Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=atwood+knobs&qid=1558783946&s=gateway&sprefix=atwood+k&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1.

Best,

Memphi@hn

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

Ever solve the vent cover knob issue? Only time I’ve had trouble is when I’ve forgotten to adjust the unlock problem.

I’ve got a MaxxFan remote fan on the way ala WilliamA. Really hoping for a better quality and lower profile fan (low relative to the vent cover I’ve got on...

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I had the same problem with my lift knob. It would not lift or lower the vent cover. Contacted Fantastic fan and they sent me out a new replacement at no coast (2 year warranty). Replacement was no problem, after I realized that the broken knob and expanded some and would not easily fit back through the housing hole.
    In a pinch I found that a 1/4 inch drive - 7mm deep socket worked as a replacement knob. ($1.98 at home depot). Good to have in the toolbox in the event the problem resurfaces.