Options

Just Picked Up My 2020 Boondock XL.

HerdHerd Member Posts: 35

Looking forward to many years of traveling. Excited to find this community and flatten the learning curve.

Comments

• Options
    JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

Welcome aboard!

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Welcome to the T@G familly!

Nice boondock! :)

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Very nice ! Welcome!
    What is that hanging from the hatch?

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I was going to ask the same question! Force field? Laser repulser? (I'd get one of those!)

If I had that in my trailer I'd have no skin left on my knob at all.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

It’s a new light for this year that goes all the way across and can be spun towards the galley or outward. Also came with 2 spot lights on front at end of the racks.

• Options

Pretty sure either that or my head would be coming off right quick.

Bill

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

It's a 50" LED light bar. It's cool to have if you set up camp and have to illuminate the heck out of the area behind the trailer. I flipped mine around because using it to light up the galley is major overkill. We use it to set up camp in the dark. I have a feeling it eventually is going to end up on my Jeep instead.

• Options

I like the idea of major light for setup but being overtall has that kind of disadvantages. I LOVE my back mounted floodlights! Wouldn't be without them...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Welcome. You’re going to have great adventures. It comes with the territory.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    Rb1274Rb1274 Member Posts: 5

Im in the market for one of these. I spoke to a dealer the other day and he said the XL is a pain because it is so wide. I really like the room in the XL.... Anyone have issues with the T@G XL size? ie, towing, parking ect..???

• Options
    edited May 2019

Rb1274,

I had the same misgivings with my XL. A year later I'm so pleased I went with it. I've not had trouble with maneuvering on or off road. It does take a bit more planning but it's not as wide as it seems. I'm so happy with the extra (seems like twice the room) space and for me, it's been more than worth it. I'd not soon go back to a 5 wide.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

I have an XL and haven’t noticed any issues either. We enjoy the extra space and I feel as if it’s nimble enough to get us to remote locations. I guess it’s all relative to what you are used to.

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• Options

We have a regular T@G outback. I would not go with an XL, but that does not mean that you should'nt do it if this is what you like.

In our case, my 2005 wrangler body is 58" inch and the T@G is 60 1/2". And to me, this was important and with all the windows, we do not feel cramp and I can still use the regular TV mirrors witch is also a plus for me. This also means that the tire track are only 4 inch wider that the jeep. All things that makes a differences in going in the crowded cities or off road. And we add not need for the microwave.

But this is us and our intended usage.

Very i portant that you think whats suits you. And do not let the dealer decide what is best for you. He is there to informe you on possibilities, not decide what is best for you. It would be the same if you wanted a regular and he would push an XL toward you.

Hope this help with you reflexion and that you join this proud and happy familly! :)

• Options

@Rb1274 said:
    Im in the market for one of these. I spoke to a dealer the other day and he said the XL is a pain because it is so wide. I really like the room in the XL.... Anyone have issues with the T@G XL size? ie, towing, parking ect..???

Our Max XL is no pain at all, I can see past it in the mirrors using the stock ones on the TV and have no issues at all towing it around. The extra space inside is well worth it in our opinion.

Bill

• Options

@BBsGarage said:

@Rb1274 said:

Our Max XL is no pain at all, I can see past it in the mirrors using the stock ones on the TV and have no issues at all towing it around. The extra space inside is well worth it in our opinion.

@BBsGarage, curiousity, what is you TV? It might make a difference for information for someone interested in TD width. :)

• Options

@LuckyJ said:

@BBsGarage said:

@Rb1274 said:

@BBsGarage, curiousity, what is you TV? It might make a difference for information for someone interested in TD width. :)

We are using a Subaru Outback 3.6.

Bill

• Options

@BBsGarage said:

@LuckyJ said:

@BBsGarage said:

@Rb1274 said:

We are using a Subaru Outback 3.6.

Hows the Subaru 3.6??? I am between that and a 4Runner of course... The sensible around town car is the Outback for sure...better gas mileage, up to date interior; but the adventure side of me wants the no frills larger tow capacity. Does it tow ok? Towing capacity at 2700lbs... kinda close to the T@g XL loaded up isn't it?

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

if you want to go 40mph up any hill get the Sub, if you want to go 65 get the 4 runner

• Options

No issues with it at all, tows like a dream, hardly know the trailer is back there.
    The 3.6 has the auto trans not the cvt. I've not had any issues with hills either.

Bill

• Options

Does it tow ok? Towing capacity at 2700lbs... kinda close to the T@g XL loaded up isn't it?

2700 lbs is plenty. Twice the capacity needed. I would tow a 1200 lbs with a TV that has a manual transmission all day long.

Remember that those Towing capacity for many cars are double in Europe that what they are in North America. So the fudge factor is already there.

And I am saying a manual transmission, cause most small cars now come with a CVT and with those, you can only rely on brakes and no compression to slow down and reliability of those cvt under load on long distance is what would scare me the most.

Now, you will have many here saying that double the towing capacity is the minimum. It all come to personal choice and confidence.

And for the speed, towing should be done at resonable speed ( check speed rating on the TD tires) and going up hills for me is not a going fast job. I'm on vacation.

So, I drive what I want, and none of them are fast whill pulling up hill. ;)

Have fun outthere. :)

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

@BBsGarage said:
    No issues with it at all, tows like a dream, hardly know the trailer is back there.
    The 3.6 has the auto trans not the cvt. I've not had any issues with hills either.

The older 3.6's have the normal auto transmission, the 2015+ (6th gen) are all CVT now as well. Though the newer models, I think around 2017+ have transmission coolers installed thankfully. Also the 3.6 is at it's end, the Outback XT will be coming out with a 4 cylinder turbo to replace the 3.6

I will say towing with the 2.5 though is a struggle for sure on hills and I don't really like going much above 60MPH, I might go 65MPH if the road is completely flat.

I got my 2012 Tacoma with a 4.0 in it and it's night and day difference compared to the 2.5, I can go 75MPH and not even know it's back there RPM wise. I wish I had bought the 3.6 when I got the Outback, but that was back when nah I'll never tow anything. It wasn't much more and the MPG wasn't much worse, but I was young and dumb lol xD I also got a second Outback, used like I did the Tacoma, and would have gotten the 3.6, but I'm finding the bed in the truck with a cap on it is very very useful and holds more.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Options
    Craig315Craig315 Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

yeah, the 3.6 will pull it fine, very rare Sub

• Options

So I am finally taking it out this weekend. Music festival at a Devils Backbone brewery in Alton VA. My question is do you carry any gear inside when traveling. Concerned about it bouncing around. Thanks for help.

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

We have our folding chairs and table and plastic tubs of supplies inside routinely, never had any problems but we don't go off roading. Even had our bikes inside once, worked out okay but probably not again, was exciting getting them through the door!

• Options

@Herd , yes we do carry stuff inside our T@G alsmost every trip. We use soft duffle bags, that are transported inside the TD, since we mostly tow with a topless wrangler. So what we do is use the duffle as a soft buffer between walls and harder heavier items that would be flat in the center of the bed.

• Options

Thanks guys, I love this community.

• Options

Ya, we carry too much, IMNSHO. But every time I try to reduce the amount of stuff, All I wind up doing is re-arranging it all. :|

Bill

• Options

@Martog said:

@BBsGarage said:

The older 3.6's have the normal auto transmission, the 2015+ (6th gen) are all CVT now as well. Though the newer models, I think around 2017+ have transmission coolers installed thankfully. Also the 3.6 is at it's end, the Outback XT will be coming out with a 4 cylinder turbo to replace the 3.6

I will say towing with the 2.5 though is a struggle for sure on hills and I don't really like going much above 60MPH, I might go 65MPH if the road is completely flat.

I got my 2012 Tacoma with a 4.0 in it and it's night and day difference compared to the 2.5, I can go 75MPH and not even know it's back there RPM wise. I wish I had bought the 3.6 when I got the Outback, but that was back when nah I'll never tow anything. It wasn't much more and the MPG wasn't much worse, but I was young and dumb lol xD I also got a second Outback, used like I did the Tacoma, and would have gotten the 3.6, but I'm finding the bed in the truck with a cap on it is very very useful and holds more.

Update... I'm a step closer to my T@G. We bought a 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6. Hoping to make the T@G purchase this winter. Thank you for all of the advice.

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

@Rb1274 said:

Update... I'm a step closer to my T@G. We bought a 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6. Hoping to make the T@G purchase this winter. Thank you for all of the advice.

You will enjoy that a lot more than the 2.5l for sure, my only regret to buying my Outback was the 2.5 and back then I was like 'Oh, I will never ever tow.." haha, eating my own words.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"