Options

Hybrid?

TagyouritTagyourit Member Posts: 2

Is there a hybrid out there that will tow my TAG. We are currently using out Subaru Outback 4 cylinder. The outback lags and sucks up the gas on inclines. Will a hybrid have the power and not sacrifice gas mileage?

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

I have yet to see anything about towing with a hybrid, @WilliamA I'm sure you have some wisdom about this.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@BBsGarage said:
    I have yet to see anything about towing with a hybrid, @WilliamA I'm sure you have some wisdom about this.

The first assumption is that I have wisdom. I'll get back to you on that one....
    As to Hybrid's... I confess here that other than reading a good bit about the technology, I haven't really paid much attention to them. Like electric cars, I continue to assume that they have a place and that the idea is good, but I'm a "wait and see" type when it comes to new technology. I tend to weigh a vehicles' usefulness based upon its overall efficiency. When I say efficiency, I mean ALL of its efficiency from the first drop of fuel or first volt produced and compare that cost against the miles that gets one down the road. That being said, I find that ALL vehicles are horrendously inefficient. Some are better than others.
    So far as hybrids fit into that equation, I can see the potential there, particularly for those who live in urban areas where stop-and-go is the rule rather than the exception. They are immensely complex (all of the problems of an internal combustion engine plus all of the problems inherent in an electric vehicle plus all of the problems generated by trying to make them work together efficiently) and that weighs into the automotive Drake equation I use to determine its efficiency. For my money, I'll get excited when the second generation fuel cell vehicle hits the street. Not the first, the second.

As to towing with one, I just said elsewhere that manufacturers HATE trailers for reasons that should be obvious. Towing anything with a vehicle specifically designed to return good economy in exchange for light weight and diminutive components is akin to using a weed eater to remove snow. It's just not (currently) designed for that and the users' end results will almost certainly reflect the difference.
    I know there are truck hybrids and other vehicles with a robust advertised towing capacity. My observation is directed more at vehicles that are obviously not made to do things outside of their designed intent. This includes gas vehicles that are obviously not intended to be cross-continent trailer towing workhorses, but people movers. There's a clear difference. "Can" they do it? Sure. I suppose. You can cook donuts in motor oil. But would you?

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    OzarkCamperOzarkCamper Member Posts: 1

I tow my T@G with a 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I lose a bit of fuel economy, but it isn't that bad. I've not had any problems towing, but I haven't taken it on a long trip while towing nor on extreme inclines.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

My thought is that every vehicle has its purpose. When I want good mileage I drive my Prius. When I tow my T@G I drive my Subaru Outback. I know my Prius doesn't have enough oomph to tow anything. But there are bigger and badder hybrids out there, like the Toyota Highlander, which has a tow capacity of 3500 lbs. But that somehow seems like overkill for towing a T@G.

You say your Subaru lags and sucks gas when going up hills. My Prius lags and sucks gas going up hills while not towing. I accept the uphill challenges as just being a part of living in Pennsylvania. I don't think a hybrid engine will fix that issue for you.

I guess it all depends on your goals. If you want a hybrid for environmental reasons, then by all means go for it. If you want to get great mileage while towing, you likely won't do better than your Subaru because of the size of hybrid you would have to get to have enough power to tow anything at all.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    MisterbeeMisterbee Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2019

I am one month in on a long road trip through the Southwest with a 2019 T@G XL Sofitel. My wife and I are pulling it with a Tesla Model 3, equipped with dual motors and a long range battery pack. We stay at RV parks and charge the car overnight. When we are ready to move on, we drive to one of the Tesla Superchargers, or to the next RV park. When we stop at the Supercharger, it is often lunchtime, so we just open up the galley and fix a meal. You meet the nicest people at a TESLA charger.

The Tesla pulls the trailer with ease, and since the car came with six months of free Supercharging, we are saving a fortune in fuel. I would post a pic, but I haven’t learned how yet.

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

I tow with an Audi A3 e-tron plug-in hybrid. I get about 19mpg and 190 miles for the tank. I like to travel 5-10mph above posted speed limit including on hills with the exception that I don’t go over 80mph towing. Lane keep works well to help ensure i’m moving along ok. I can see the tail corners of the camper well with my standard mirrors and my blind spot monitoring stops being lit up when a car next to me would just barely clip the trailer, so I know I can see well and have added security on when to change lanes and such.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    TagyouritTagyourit Member Posts: 2

Thanks for all the great answers. I think we will continue to use the Outback, until I hit the lottery. At which time I will purchase a cabin in the mountains.

• Options
    heathre872heathre872 Member Posts: 2

I just got my first teardrop- a 2020 Tag XL Boondock Edge. I use my Prius to tow. Although it definitely lose some gas economy it still works great! Best of luck to you!

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

What mileage on the Prius?

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    heathre872heathre872 Member Posts: 2

With the Tag XL, about 25 mpg (normally get around 50mpg).

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

My 2010 Outback 4 clynder also struggles on hills and accelerating in general, the hit to the mpg didn't bother me too much, but I didn't like it struggling and only the past few years have transmission coolers installed. I ended up buying a used 2012 V6 Tacoma with factory tow package which has the cooler, larger battery and bigger alternator. Yeah it probably gets about the same mpg, but doesn't struggle.

You could trade in to the 3.6 Outback which is a 6 clynder and gain a bit of power. The fuel economy will probably be the same, maybe a hair more due to easier towing. You could also wait for the 2020 XT which is a 4 clynder turbo and has increased towing capacity.

At uCamp I talked to someone who has the Chevy Colorado with the turbo diseal, the gets over 30 not towing and 20 towing a T@b 400.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"