Options

T@G storage box and Tongue extension

walker1477walker1477 Member Posts: 5
edited December 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades

Hello all,

I have been lurking for about a year now learning from all your good ideas and thought I should share how I ended up solving my tongue extension problem (for pulling with a jeep wrangler) and my front box/battery issues.

First for the tongue:
I needed to extend the tongue about 13 inches total so I could pull with my Jeep Wrangler (2 door with 35 inch tiers). The problem with the wrangler and larger tires was that the trailer jack would hit the rear mounted Jeep spare tire when making tight turns. I tried a extended ball/hitch but that results in increased tongue weight since it moves the point of connection further away from the Jeep bumper. I ended up buying a Curt 2"x36" raw steel hitch receiver tube and after cutting off the stock trailer tongue welding it in place so it extends about 6" past where the stock was. Since I lost the jack in the process I also welded on two Bulldog jack swivel mounts (one on each side so I can swap the jack side-to-side if needed) to fit a Bulldog trailer jack. . (see below)

The Lock'N'Roll system slips into the receiver tube on the trailer and the tube on the Jeep. I can also simply slip in a tube with a standard ball coupler if I want. This has the added advantage of still letting me park the trailer in the garage despite a really long tongue. (see below for what the system looks laying on the floor)

Finally the storage box. After searching, and searching, and searching I found these boxes that fit really nicely without any other modifications to the front storage rack. I moved the battery, solar charge controller, and all other electronic bits into one box and use the other for storage. The boxes are made by Buyers and measure 14x12x16 Inches (below). Oh and I ordered everything from Amazon, with no problems.

Hope that makes another T@G owners modification plans a little easier :)
-Dan

Comments

• Options
    walker1477walker1477 Member Posts: 5

If anyone's interested the part numbers (how to find on Amazon) are:

1. Buyers 1705148 (Diamond Tread Aluminum Underbody Truck Box)
    2. Bulldog 1541150301 (Trailer Jack)
    3. Bulldog 500240 (Trailer Jack Swivel Mount)
    4. CURT 49360 (2" x 36" Raw Steel Hitch Receiver Tube)
    5. Lock 'N' Roll 501 (Off Road Trailer Hitch) *Jeep Side
    6. Lock 'N' Roll 520 (15" Coupler) * Trailer Side
  • Options
    JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

Nice write up! I need to do the same.

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@walker1477 nice job.

You will lbe this. I remember the day I fist got our T@G home, it was late afternoon. First thing I did ounce the TD was unhooked from the LJ, was laydown on my back under the trailer with a tape mesure and a paper pad and a pen. Following day, I was in town to get the steel I needed, when I got back that afternoon, was making final plan.

The tird day, the ball receiver was cut. No going back after this. On tye tird afternoon, my tongue extension was done, tye T@G ad like 45 miles on the bearings. Lol

In my case, the 2" receiver bar goes from the front, all the way to the back as a recovery point, but also a back bone to give more regidity the the frame and trailer assembly.

I also have a multi axe coupler and an extension that I install or remove as TV requierment dictate. I tow with a 2005 LJ with a tire rack/gerry can holder and want to be able to fully open the tail gate when camping w/o unhitching, but also tow with a more ordinary small SUV.

The built tread was started on the little guy forum, then pass to the nucamp forum, then continued to the now T@G and small teardrop trailer forum. That was in 2017, and never regreted this. :)

All under Le Refuge tread.

Again, nice work and have fun outhere! :)

• Options
    larmetlarmet Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2020

Finally the storage box. After searching, and searching, and searching I found these boxes that fit really nicely without any other modifications to the front storage rack. I moved the battery, solar charge controller, and all other electronic bits into one box and use the other for storage. The boxes are made by Buyers and measure 14x12x16 Inches (below). Oh and I ordered everything from Amazon, with no problems.

Hope that makes another T@G owners modification plans a little easier :)
    -Dan

@walker1477 - Curious as to how you mounted the Buyers boxes on the front.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 632
    edited December 2020

Not sure of the difference in size between the TaG and TaB platform, but someone just had these fabricated for their TaB. $400

bradleysmachineandwelding.com

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator