Options

Hang on

Added these to our 2018 tag. Very easy. Only required minor fitting on one side. Came with 3M tape from the factory, but had to get the screws at the hardware. They have been on there for about 8 months and no issues.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Bobrocks said:
    Added these to our 2018 tag. Very easy. Only required minor fitting on one side. Came with 3M tape from the factory, but had to get the screws at the hardware. They have been on there for about 8 months and no issues.

I'm curious as to what size screws you sourced. Did you use some sort of insert or screw directly into the fiberglass?

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BobrocksBobrocks Member Posts: 17

Most likely #8 X3/4 . The base of the handle is 1/4" thick. Cleaned the fiberglass with 99% alcohol and when the 3M tape touched it that was it.... No do overs. The tape comes attached to the handle. Thank you for all your articles BTW. Lars.

• Options
    BobrocksBobrocks Member Posts: 17
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I love 3M double-tape. That stuff is as useful as bungie cords. I figured you'd just screw them on. Putting some sort of inserts into fiberglass is a bit of danged if you do, danged if you don't. I've done tons of work with fiberglass and it's pretty unforgiving. If you don't back it up, the screws will work out over time. If you do, you're subject to get stress cracks. If the screws start to work out, just put a dab of epoxy in the screw holes, let it dry and tap it. Keep in mind that the epoxy will eat the styrofoam on the inside. It's always something.....sigh....

Thanks for the kind words Lars...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.