Options

Modifying a perfectly good 2020 T@G Boondock Edge

Rather than turning my introduction thread into a mod thread I've decided to just create my own modification thread. Most of the early stuff is likely going to be inspired by or outright copied from others great ideas. Hopefully after our maiden voyage this weekend I'll have some fresh ideas to.

First up- Backsplash, wind guard, outlet covers, different utensil hanger and swapping out the Yeti for a Norcold NRF30.

Interestingly enough, NuCamp left the 12V socket in the cooler/fridge area under the countertop even though they moved away from providing a fridge. Unfortunately they are still using undersized wiring to keep a 12V fridge/freezer running happily. Rather than mess with rewiring the outlet I installed a new one on the floor under the slider (plenty of clearance due to sloped floor). I drilled a hole in the floor and ran 8ga all the way to the battery with a 30a fuse (car stereo amp type) near the battery.

While checking out what will fit in the galley we realized the hooks it came with were mounted a little low to allow them to actually hang and my wife wanted more of them. The solution I found on Amazon also incorporates magnet bars for knives; it works perfectly and has double the number of hooks.

Next up is coming up with a cover for A/C vent under the trailer since nearly every trip we'll be taking this on involves dusty roads. I was initially going to make my own flap, but I came across this one (below). The vent on the T@G uses a 16"x4" soffit vent cover. I think this will still work even though I'll need to put in some new screw holes and then goober around all the sides to seal it up. The slider style will also let me attach a rod to remotely slide it open/closed.

2019 T@G 5W Boondock Edge
2008 M-B G500
Somewhere in the PNW

"Why aren't we flying? Because getting there is half the fun. You know that."

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Hello @ClarkGriswold nicely done.

Do not k ow if you went with cig lighter style plug for you fridge, but just be aware that if you plan on doing dirt roads, the T@G could bounce so much, even worst in the galley area that the frige could unplog itself.

As for the vent trap, where did you get it and it would be nice to get a final pic ounce installed.

Have a nice one! :)

• Options
    JumperJumper Member Posts: 70

I used HD Velcro on the bottom of my Norcold to help keep it in place on back roads.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636
    edited June 2019

@LuckyJ and @ClarkGriswold, Regarding the Norcold 12v plug - they do make threaded plugs that won’t pop out on bumpy trails called PosiFit. We used that for our TaBs ARB.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    @LuckyJ and @ClarkGriswold, Regarding the Norcold 12v plug - they do make threaded plugs that won’t pop out on bumpy trails called PosiFit. We used that for our TaBs ARB.

Huu! Did not know that. I will get some of those for sure.

Thanks! :)

• Options

@LuckyJ said:

@Sharon_is_SAM said:

Huu! Did not know that. I will get some of those for sure.

Thanks! :)

Well, I have been doing some search for those, and they are not that easy to find I would say localy (canada) at a reasonalble price.

The website you provided is from Australia. I have looked at ebay, shipping price are ridiculous, amazon.ca is double or triple the price of amazon.com and amazon.com will not ship those to canada.

So I guess I will have to keep searching.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Try an Engel plug - 12v is 12v.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2019

There's "perfectly good" but then again, there's "perfectly better". The difference is in the amount of putzing.....

And BTW, we don't "copy" ideas around here. That would be plagiarizing. We " repurpose" ideas.

Right LuckyJ? 😎

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@WilliamA said:
    ......... We " repurpose" ideas.
    Right LuckyJ?
    WilliamA

Absolutely! :)

• Options
    ClarkGriswoldClarkGriswold Member Posts: 34

Thanks for the heads up on securing the fridge and plug. I plan on using the fastener holes meant for the handles to install low profile tie down points to firmly secure it. The Norcold is using a Blue Sea plug in an ARB surface mount similar to how I have my ARB 37qt hooked up in my Jeep.

The vent trap is something found on Home Depot’s website, I guess it isn’t something they stock in store. It is called the “Master Flow EmberShield 16 in. x 8 in. Galvanized Steel Closeable Soffit Vent in Almond” for $19.95US. I plan on ordering it this week. I didn't need a cover in place for this trip, the Northwest Overland Rally, since the route was 99% pavement and 1% driving through a damp farmer’s field.

After taking it out this past weekend, we couldn't be more pleased with our purchase. It towed great and made camp setup soo much quicker and easier. It was also extremely nice not having the sun wake us up at 5am with both light and heat. (the solar panels pictured are actually for keeping my Jeep fridge going, not the trailer).

2019 T@G 5W Boondock Edge
    2008 M-B G500
    Somewhere in the PNW

"Why aren't we flying? Because getting there is half the fun. You know that."

• Options
    edited June 2019

Answered my own question, so deleted! :)