Options

Sway Bars and Trailer Brakes

Hi ya’ll! Just bought a 2019 T@G 5 wide Boondock Lite. My tow vehicle is 2016 Wrangler Sahara 2 door. Been looking through the posts here and it sounds like most of you recommend trailer brakes and sway bars. I had a 2017 T@B Outback and that tall, heavy beast definitely needed both, which the dealer included at no charge when I purchased it. It was a slow retail month, lol. But they didn’t have the parts and couldn’t install either until after I took a terrifying trip from Arizona to Colorado with the beast in tow. Within five minutes it was clear I couldn’t go over 60, not even when merging onto the freeway. That is a long, grueling trip that won’t be forgotten.

I am preparing for that same trip in a couple of weeks with my new T@G and same tow vehicle. I think I already know your answer, do you recommend trailer brakes and a sway bar for the T@G? The dealer swore they aren’t necessary but they weren’t throwing them in and wanted to make a sale. I’m waiting for a couple of camper places to call with quote for installing both. If you more experienced RVers say get them, I want to do that before I leave 😊

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

The brakes? probably best if you have them, although many here do not and have not had a problem. The sway bars? I would say no, dont need them at all.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    ClarkGriswoldClarkGriswold Member Posts: 34

Don't all T@Gs come with electric brakes?

Regardless, brakes are nice to have especially on the downhill side of mountain passes and in heavier traffic where an abrupt slowdown or stop could be likely. My T@G has brakes so I'm wired up to take advantage of them, but equally "heavy" trailers I've pulled in the past have not had them to no major ill effect.

I wouldn't bother with a trailer sway bar; odds are your T@G will hide in the slipstream behind it. Upgrading your rear swaybar on the JK to one from Helwig isn't a bad idea though. I did it earlier this year on my lifted JKU and it makes a ton of difference with side winds and cornering. I imagine it would do a better job at keeping the tail from wagging the dog than some hitch mounted gizmo too.

2019 T@G 5W Boondock Edge
    2008 M-B G500
    Somewhere in the PNW

"Why aren't we flying? Because getting there is half the fun. You know that."

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

Brakes are nice to have, and eventually I will get a controller and utilize them. My TV has very beefy brakes and a manual transmission so I really have no need for them other than added peace of mind in a panic/emergency stopping scenario. As for sway, for the size and weight of the T@G sway should not be an issue unless you have all your weight behind the TD axle. Also make sure the TD is level when hooked up to the TV, if your tongue is up too high this can also induce sway.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    willow4303willow4303 Member Posts: 6

The T@G does have brakes, but the controller wasn't included, so same as not having them at this point ;) Thank you all for the feedback. Going to check around to see who can install a controller without charging an arm and a leg. Dealer wants 249.00 for a bluetooth solution, and my Jeep doesn't talk to my IPhone, lol.

• Options
    ClarkGriswoldClarkGriswold Member Posts: 34

You can get the MOPAR harness on Amazon for $110 and a brake controller for up to $130 (Tekonsha P3). Both can easily be installed by anyone in a couple hours. The brake controller does require a bit of contortion for clean routing and connecting the brake switch wire, but still very doable for a novice. Heck, if you are near me I’d come over and help you do it.

2019 T@G 5W Boondock Edge
    2008 M-B G500
    Somewhere in the PNW

"Why aren't we flying? Because getting there is half the fun. You know that."

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I was kind of surprised that you T@G did not have brakes.

As for piece of mind, our T@G is tye first of any of my trailer that does have brakes. And they are not the most powerfull with only 7" diameter. Plus, I did pull hevier trailers w/o brakes, but they are sure nice to have, so much that I am slowly imstalling brakes on my other trailers, but 10" diameter. i also pull with a 2 door wrangler, and unlimited TJ, manual transmission. And I have to say that they really help stabilize tye T@G in emergency situation. I am not someone who goes fast or that follow from to close, but others sometime do silly things. So If I were you, I would go for it. Installing the 7 pin will also get you charging power and even baking light if you want to.

As for sway, I assume this is what scared you on you trip, ir is all in load repartition. Bet you tongue weight was pretty light and if so, the wind drag just make it worst as you drive faster as well. The air that you are trying to push with the front act as if even more weight was added to the rear of you T@G, same if frame was not level. It just add up to the rear weight of the T@G, creating the dancing motion you got.

Have fun! :)

• Options
    KKriegKKrieg Member Posts: 20

My t@g came without brakes because they are not required for the weight of the trailer. Being that my tv is a little on the lighter side (still well under the 70% of tow capacity) I figured that the brakes would give me peace of mind.

2018 T@G XL
    An exit in New Jersey

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2019

Last year we rented a T&G 5wide and drove it approx. 2800 miles (4500km) up and down hills from Ontario to PEI. Our TV is a 6 cly Toyota Venza. Highway speed was usually about 65mph (110kmh). We never experienced any sway or problems braking. 20lb propane tank was full adding weight to the tongue.
    This year we bought a T&G 6W and haven't had any issues yet either with sway or braking on our one trip. Don't anticipate any problems.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Jay said:
    Last year we rented a T&G 5wide and drove it approx. 2800 miles (4500km) up and down hills from Ontario to PEI. Our TV is a 6 cly Toyota Venza. Highway speed was usually about 65mph (110kmh). We never experienced any sway or problems braking. 20lb propane tank was full adding weight to the tongue.
    This year we bought a T&G 6W and haven't had any issues yet either with sway or braking on our one trip. Don't anticipate any problems.

From Ontario to PEI, I am wondering what hills you are seeing on that path?? ;).

A 5 wide is below 1000 lbs, I did found out that over 1000lbs in Quebec and many states, trailer brakes are mendatory.

For the rest, hope you had a nice trip. :)