Options

Streaming video to Jenson unit

what is the set up for streaming downloaded movies from an Android phone/tablet to the Jenson TV screen. When I play a movie using bluetooth I get sound but can't get it up on the screen.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Video link need to be hard wire or use and apple tv or andoïde version of it connected to the tele.

• Options
    tag816tag816 Member Posts: 16

We use a laptop with an HDMI cable running from the laptop to the HDMI port on the TV. They make cables for Android phones/tablets, this will be helpful: https://www.techhive.com/article/3268756/how-to-connect-your-android-phone-or-tablet-to-your-hdtv.html

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

thnx, guess I'll use the charging cord

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

so you plug into the TV, not the Jensen head unit?

• Options

Ya, we unplug the HDMI cable that's running from the Jensen into the TV, and plug our laptop straight into the TV. The problem is the sound, we've been having to connect to the Jensen via bluetooth, but others on here claim it's possible to not have too...still trying to figure that out.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

The Bluetooth connection allows you to play music but not video over the Jensen receiver. It is input only so you can’t connect wireless headphones or speakers to the Jensen.

Set Jensen receiver input to Aux One or Aux Rear for the 2020 T@G for sound to play over speakers. Turn up the TV sound and turn off the TV speakers. Connect to TV via HDMI using Apple digital converter attached to iPhone or iPad and set TV input to HDMI

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    JeeptagJeeptag Member Posts: 28

We go into the settings on our tv and turn the tv speakers on when using our Apple TV. I believe the Jensen is connected to the tv through the hdmi cable so once you unplug the hdmi you are no longer connected to the sound system and just use the speakers on the tv. Hope this helps

• Options
  • Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

Using a Samsung Android tablet with downloaded Netflix/Prime programming (haven't tried streaming via Wi-Fi), we use a mini-HDMI-to-HDMI adapter to connect to TV. Set the Jensen unit to Aux 1 to play the audio through the ceiling speakers. Zero out the TV speakers.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options

The Jensen unit we have doesn’t have an Aux setting, it just has HDMI ARC which doesn’t do the trick.

• Options
    MikeLuckyMikeLucky Member Posts: 19

I use a chromecast attached to the TV HDMI and connected to my phone via hotspot. But, the only way I've found to get the TV audio to play through the speakers is using HDMI ARC input on the jensen head unit, but that obviously doesn't work when I'm utilizing the HDMI connection with the chromecast. Works awesome for casting, but have to use the tv speakers, unless I'm missing a way to make the audio speakers work without utilizing the HDMI ARC input.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I also found that my Jensen TV usb is not setup to stream video (only pictures and music) To get around that issue, I installed a small shelf under the cabinet by the converter and fused and use a Sony BDP-S3700 Smart Blue Ray Player (Ebay $36.99) with Built in Wi-Fi. The shelf I installed using 3M removable Command Hooks. I use the Sony mainly because it has a video usb input port, which I use a 1 TB hard drive with about 275 movies and music videos installed. I cut off the power block on the Sony and installed a 12 volt male cigarette connector which plugs directly into the T@B. Works great and has very low power consumption (22 watts average Blu-ray player, TV & Hard Drive).
    I also tapped into the Jensen unit and hooked up RCA connectors to speaker "B" and ran the wires to the galley. This allows for some music outside with the small speakers I bring.
    I also occasionally bring aEcho Dot. Note the 2nd generation runs off standard usb power and not a power block as the 3rd generation does. Works good using the phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Options
    hfxcarloshfxcarlos Member Posts: 4

I have a 2018 Tag with stock stereo and TV. I download Netflix shows to an iPad via Netflix app when at home to watch off-line when camping with a Lightning-to-HDMI dongle for iPad and a ~5' HDMI cable. When sending video from iPad into the TV (via HDMI input port on backside bottom of TV), I found the only way to get audio on the overhead stereo speakers was to run an ~4' audio cable from TV audio-out 3.5mm port (located upper left side when looking at TV) over to the 3.5mm aux audio-input port on the front of the stereo and put the stereo into "front aux input" mode. In theory, both Jensen TV and Stereo/DVD have HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel), i.e., video and audio goes from stereo to TV, with an audio return channel should send audio from TV to back to stereo, but I’ve never been able to get that audio return to stereo working, and it seems there are quite a few other people having this exact issue. I’m actually wondering if anyone has ever gotten the HDMI ARC working with the stock TV and Stereo?

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

@hfxcarlos if you are using the HDMI port on the TV to input from your iPad that means the HDMI ARC cable back to the radio is not plugged in, so obviously no sound from the TV will be returned for the overhead speakers. The TV only has one HDMI port so its either connected to the radio as HDMI ARC or its connected to an external source, it cannot do both at once.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    poliverpoliver Member Posts: 31

I simply use a Apple fire stick ($60) hooked up to an HDMI Cord to the tv and Bluetooth for sound in all zones. Works great!!

• Options
    MustangGuyMustangGuy Member Posts: 15

@poliver said:
    I simply use a Apple fire stick ($60) hooked up to an HDMI Cord to the tv and Bluetooth for sound in all zones. Works great!!

I have not used the fire stick yet. I get that you used an HDMI connection to get the video to display. What I want to be clear on is this. Did you configure it to send audio to the head unit via Bluetooth? I am going ahead and ordering one but I want to be sure to know exactly what you did to make this work. Thanks.

• Options

Yes, you are correct. Other then the Firestick via HDMI. It’s syncs to your Bluetooth for decent surround sound.

• Options
    edited June 2020

@poliver - It's the Amazon Fire Stick you are using, correct? You typed in "Apple fire stick ($60)" above.

Do you have a link to the exact one you use? There are many and none are $60 that I can find.

• Options

My apologies for the slow response. What I use is the Apple firestick lightning to HDMI AV adapter. Model # MD826AM/A currently available at Bestbuy $64.99.
    Hope you enjoy as much as we have.😃

• Options

@poliver said:
    My apologies for the slow response. What I use is the Apple firestick lightning to HDMI AV adapter. Model # MD826AM/A currently available at Bestbuy $64.99.
    Hope you enjoy as much as we have.😃

Now I am more confused than ever. There is no such thing as an Apple Firestick. There is an Amazon Firestick. However; you wouldn't use the Lightning adapter on an Amazon Firestick.

• Options
    cchalcchal Member Posts: 3

We use chromecast plugged into hdmi with power from USB on stereo...works great. Plug an aux cord from side of TV to audio headset port on stereo...sound in all speakers.