Options

Norcold frig errors running on onboard battery

On previous trips with our 2015 T@G we've been able to run our Norcold NRF-30 frig for at least 18 hours using a 12 volt deep cycle battery. On our trip last weekend it was continually having the error light come on and shutting off after less than an hour. Occasionally it would last a bit longer but not more than 2 hours. The voltage measured at the battery terminals is 12.3 volts.

Is there something broken on the Norcold? I'd like to be able to camp at sites with no electricity

Comments

• Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

Check low voltage switch on left bottom of Norcold. It could be set too high to turn of when battery reaches setting. There are three setting levels for battery low voltage for fridge to cycle of if low voltage reached. Bill

• Options
    Refrik3Refrik3 Member Posts: 3

I've tried it on different settings but I usually set it on 3. That's what it was on this time

• Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

Get battery recharged and see if Norcold turns of on the lowest battery setting. Other than that is fridge maintaining your temp setting normally within 5 degree swing? If so, is fridge getting proper air circulation around compressor. If not it could be kicking a thermal overheat switch so it will not burn up compressor. One suggestion has been to leave while parked the back hatch just open at bottom with latches in locked position before you close hatch. Bill

• Options
    Refrik3Refrik3 Member Posts: 3

The hatch was completely open the whole time. We usually set up a shade canopy over the hatch area where we can sit.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

The Norcold should always be on setting 3. I’d have your battery tested at Autozone. If it’s the original it might be time to replace it.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    Desert_TravelerDesert_Traveler Member Posts: 1

The fix on my 2016 T@G was to replace the undersized wiring. My norcold came with a wire/plug ( in a bag) for the typical application of plugging into a 12 volt outlet(cigarette lighter style). It is 12 gauge wire, while the one nucamp used for the install was 16 gauge wire ( smaller).
    I first used just the wire/plug from norcold and tried it plugged onto the 12 volt outlet in the galley. The cooler did not error out. I then used it to replace the installed one. It connects to the 12 volt outlet behind the wall in the galley. It can be accessed by removing the stereo from inside the cabin. As an extra measure, I also replaced the internal wire from the connection at the outlet back to the electrical panel with 12 gauge wire (it was 16 gauge also). Take caution to keep the polarity correct if you change the wiring.

I talked to a 2017 T@G owner who had no problems with his cooler, and it had the 12 gauge norcold wire/plug factory installed.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Our 2017 had less than 12 ga wire, hard wired to the inverter. No cig connector. Wire were crimp from the norcol wire to the T@G wire. Different size, different color.

I guess it changed during the model year.

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

Refrik3, did you resolve your Norcold issue? Mine started doing something similar this past weekend, after 3 seasons with no issues.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    Kevin_HakalaKevin_Hakala Member Posts: 1

If the battery charge is ok, and the battery checks out with a load tester, try cleaning the terminals and T@G battery leads, and adding some dialectic gel. This solved my identical NorCold cooler issue.

good luck!

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I contacted Norcold concerning the Low Battery Shut-off Switch and received confirmation that placing the switch in the #2 setting is just fine for how the use is within the T@G. With the standard T@G setup, one is not using the Norcold AC/DC converter (NORCOLD AC ADAPTER 634650 FOR NRF SERIES) to power the unit (NRF30). Note: Their converter output is 24 volts. I use the #2 setting since I would prefer to have the Norcold unit shut-down and preserve my battery. I typically use a solar panel and have never had my unit shut down due to low batter condition yet.

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

My issue, mentioned above, was resolved by replacing the OEM battery with a Duracell 105 ah. After 3 years, I guess the old 75 ah battery couldn't handle the Norcold load for more than 24 hours.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Three years is a good time to replace. I changed mine at 2 years. No problems.