Options

New renogy 100w suitcase owner question

In big red letters the controller info says “ never connect the solar panel array to the controller without a battery”. Before I fry something: it appears the controller is already hooked up to the panels and the battery clips are already hooked up on the other side of the controller ready to go.
I’m confused, what do they mean? Since the controller appears to come on when I open the panels how can you avoid the controller being connected before you hook up battery ? Am I making this too hard?

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

The Renogy solar system that I recently purchased (Solar suitcase/ Voyager) requires the battery for the charge controller to kick in. (The LCD display requires at least 9V from the battery bank for the LCD to display.
    A short period not hooked to a battery should not cause an issue.
    I would refer to your Renogy instruction manual. It may not contain the same wording.
    Keep in mind that the suitcase, even while folded would have the opportunity for the solar panels to be receiving solar energy. I keep mine in the cloth case and cardboard box, when not in use, but again the manual makes no reference about keeping the unit out of the sun while not hooked up to a battery.