Options

How's the drive?

Thinking about buying a T@G and wondering what the drive is like. Anyone experience issues with wind or any other problems? I drive a Ford F-150 STX.

Comments

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

With an F150 you won't even know its there. I pull mine (Boondock Edge XL) with a VW Passat and have no issues, highway no problems at 120km/h (abt 75mph). I haven't had to drive in strong crosswinds, so I can't comment on that, but passing big rigs she stays true no noticeable push at all.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    BigWaveDaveBigWaveDave Member Posts: 31
  • Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I agree with what as been said.

Just make sure that the load is well balance on the trailer side and you should be fine. But I would recomend looking at your trailer tire. Some have speed rating that do not exeed 65 miles/h.

If you olan on going faster, it would be a good idea to switch to radial tires.

• Options
    BigWaveDaveBigWaveDave Member Posts: 31
  • Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I tow my 2018 T@G with a 4 cylinder 4x4 2012 Rav4 and have not had any wind problems and occasionally need to look back to assure it is still attached. That said, going up in the mountains 4,000’ plus will make the transmission drop down and RPMs will climb occasionally to 5,000. As for speed, I try to keep it around 55-63. My stock tires (Castle Rock ST) on the trailer are rated at a max of 75MPH.

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

Yes, mind the speed if you have bias ply, the Boondock comes with Rainier Apex ST and are rated to 81mph. And always make sure you have the trailer properly loaded, and level when hitched. Remember that when you travel with a full water tank and a full cooler/fridge that's all weight behind the axle so you need to get some weight back to the tongue for added stability.
    Our most recent trip involved some rain coupled with a pretty strong cross wind and naturally I slowed the pace down a little and still rock solid, not once did it kick out or even try to. Its our first trailer and my first time ever towing anything so I had some concerns initially, but I can honestly say that it tows like a dream and like James said I occasionally have to look to make sure its still there.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I have owned 5 teardrops over the last 10 years and hold my travel to around 65 mph. I’ve seen some crazy things happen and have seen extensive damage to trailers experiencing an unexpected blowout. I am also aware of and seen rollover accidents too. Road conditions can change quickly and it only takes one inconsiderate or distracted driver to create a deadly scenario. On one trip out to Arizona pulling a 5-wide trailer at night, the guy in front of me swerved into the next lane and I soon found out why as I drove over a fiberglass wind cowling that was probably mounted beneath the bumper of a semi tractor. The car lurched and shook and I saw the trailer bounce up into the air and come down hard. I got off at the next available exit and inspected both the trailer and car. Thank God no fluid was leaking, My tires stayed inflated, the brakes worked fine and there was no visible damage to the undercarriage of either the car or the trailer. Needless to say I do not drive at night and normally shut things down two or three hours before sunset.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Michigan_Mike happy to see all went well from that incident.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

That was pretty scary for sure!

Another time I was driving in Tucson traffic, it came to one of them sudden stops, people were braking hard and the girl driving behind my teardrop slammed on her brakes and swerved into the ditch! Talk about a close call and sweating bullets!!! 😱😰😲

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

Too many drivers follow way too close. That is one advantage of driving slower - most people pass me and then I have a nice buffer in front and rear.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

I'm pulling with a Subaru Ascent. Prior to this I was towing with a Subaru Outback. I've had no problems with either, but it drags the mileage down significantly with both (and any vehicle I would think). The Ascent pulls it much better though, keeping RPM's lower and having a lot more power should you need to speed up.

I probably "felt" the T@G Boondock XL more with the Outback than the Ascent, but never had any concerns with it.

Good luck! I'm just off of a week long trip from Iowa to Gettysburg PA and it's yet another adventure I'll treasure for a life time.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay