Options

Dreaming of a T@G in Tampa - newbie questions

cricketbirdcricketbird Member Posts: 6

I got drenched tent camping in a FL thunderstorm one too many times recently, and started looking at alternatives. I stumbled on T@Gs online and fell deeply in love. Mandy Lea has me dreaming of ditching my job and heading out into the world, but realistically for now this is a weekend/holiday/getaway dream.

So, the tentative plan is to acquire a T@G sometime this fall 2019. Ideally a gently used one, but possibly a new one (they don't seem to be that different in price, from what I can tell).

The saner and more rational side of me thinks I should try one out, or at least see a real (i.e. not showroom) one before I go investing large sums of $$ in one. I'd like to see if I can hook/unhook by myself and generally make it work as a solo person. When I've been camping or hiking at state parks recently, I've circled the camping area looking for one, without luck. I tried to find one for rent at rvshare.com, outdoorsy.com, and airbnb.com plus a few other sites. I can find teardrops in general, and I might do that. But, I'd really like to see, or better yet experience, an actual T@G if possible to see how easily I can manage it and how comfortable it is for me and what I want.

1) Do any of you live (or will be camping) within a few hours of Tampa, FL and have a T@G I could perhaps visit to see one in person? I'll bring homemade cookies :)

2) Better yet, does anyone know of someone who rents out T@Gs in FL? I found a T@B available in Jacksonville through rvshare.com, but my car can't tow something that big. I've found other brands of teardrop camper available for rent here locally, and I might do that just to see the logistics. But, I'm hoping to find an actual T@G if possible.

3) Has anyone towed with a Honda CRV? Mine says it is rated for 1,500 lbs, and FL is pretty flat, so I'm hopeful this will work. I still need to get a hitch installed! Besides the hitch and 7 pin harness, anything else I should think about for my car?

Thanks!
CB

Comments