Options

Water Pump Intake Mounted Too High? (Air in Pump)

tacetmantacetman Member Posts: 16

I was very excited to take my new (to me) 2018 T@G Outback out this weekend on its first trip since I bought it. I'm proud to say that it was absolutely fantastic, I had a wonderful time, and was even pleasantly surprised at how power-efficient the trailer is.

One thing I had a question about was whether anyone had experienced a problem with getting air into their water pump before the water tank was even 2/3 depleted. Around the time I had used 6-7 (of 11) gallons, the water level in the tank was low enough that some air was getting sucked into the intake, causing the water pump to work harder and make the "swishing" noise indicative of water in the pump.

First question - is there a trick to this? The intake from the water tank is about an inch higher than the exact bottom of the tank...so this sort of thing is to be expected. I put some leveling blocks under the jack to make the trailer more angled up (and get more water into the end of the water tank) and was able to get about 9-10 gallons total out before I got air in it again. Is that really the effective amount of water that can be used by the T@G? It seems like giving up 10%+ of the water capacity would be a shame.

Or is getting air into the pump OK? (Most pumps will fail prematurely if allowed to cavitate like that).

Thanks!

Comments