Options

Solar trickle charging

Hi,

Newbie here. Looking into recommendations or hardware for solar trickle charging the deep cycle battery that came in our 2018 TAG Outback. Some online are rated for different watts/amps. What is needed to preserve my battery’s life?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I would look at either the Renogy or Zamp portable solar panel systems. You will also need a Zamp solar port plug adapter for your trailer. Solar isn’t cheap and you might want to factor in the type of camping you plan to do and whether or not you will camp the majority of time in campgrounds or dry camping. If you buy a portable setup I wouldn’t buy anything less than 100 watts. I own a 200 amp Zamp portable suitcase style setup but it weighs about 50 pounds. It allows me added ability to charge my batteries at a quicker rate. Look around and do some research as they do make flat panel solar panels that can be added to the roof of your trailer too. Search the forum as well as there should be discussions on this topic within.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 637

@adamds_1, is this for storage purposes or for use during camping?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

The charger I use (Schumachor SC-600A) (Amazon $51.50). It does both charge and automatically drops down to Charged/Maintaining mode. Maintenance mode is 2 Amp and charging mode can go up to 6 Amp. I measured 110 Volt power usage at 17-20 Watts. When I am at home, I just place the charger in the tongue box, and that is it. I plug in the same connector as the solar. (See photo-not the best, but good enough for now) I also take the charger with me when camping if I have my generator, that way I can quickly charge up the batteries in the morning and maintain with the solar panels throughout the day. (I also utilize a Renogy 100 watt setup with the Voyager controller, which can take another 100 watt panel). The generator I use is a Baja (BAi911LP) propane powered generator from Home Depot ($239), which runs on 1lb or 20lb propane. 700/900 watts @ 26 lbs. I refill the 1 lb. propane canisters which is about .50 cents of propane and also have a 5' hose ($13) which can connect to the large tank in the event I want to run the air conditioner for an extended period. - -

• Options
    adamds_1adamds_1 Member Posts: 2

Hi Sharon,

My idea for the solar charger was for trickle charging during storage. This would in my mind do 2 things. 1. extend the life of the battery, and 2. have a fully charged battery if I were to go camping to a site with no shore power and just run a few things off the battery for like 2 days and nights.

Adam

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 43

I think a 10 watt solar maintainer would serve you well. There are many to choose from in the $20-$30 range but the higher wattage (10w+) versions are less common in that price range.
    This came up in a quick search:
    https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-Portable-Backup-Alligator-Adapter/dp/B017K6PH1S/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=solar+battery+tender&pd_rd_r=4de004a3-f173-44f7-b7aa-645d9165e173&pd_rd_w=AKqww&pd_rd_wg=dcj5p&pf_rd_p=8c50fb3b-71cc-4f59-971a-9f0f19b41fd7&pf_rd_r=NH89W01SM1N841H29108&qid=1564756903&s=gateway&sr=8-13
    Have fun..........
    Bob